REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #51
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
The problem isn't the cars, it's the drivers.

With our current licensing system, mixed with the sad fact that is ridiculously easy to deem a piece of sh*t car as road-worthy, higher speed limits would result in more fatalities.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for upping the speed limit... BUT, do you really want the soccer mom painting her nails in the 2+ ton SUV to go faster? Ditto for the 70-year-old geriatric that can't see properly and has the reflexes of a turtle in quicksand (but is too arrogant to give up his license)? Or the new driver who wants to impress his buddies by weaving lanes on the highway? Or the C-Lai who needs to paint her pedals green and red so she knows which pedal to hit relative to the color of the traffic light? Etc etc etc.

Don't even get me started on the amount of poorly maintained cars I see with visible/audible engine issues, bad brakes, brake lights/headlights/turn indicators not working, people driving summer tires in the winter... should THEY be going faster as well?

IMO, a LOT of work needs to be done before we can even think about safely upping the speed limits... ESPECIALLY in BC. Let Supa's dashcam videos be a living testament to this rant.
As much as I agree with the majority of what you've said, we actually have a pretty golden standard as compared to the rest of the World (in terms of safety regulation and enforcement). While we have some of the lowest speed limits in comparison.
People here honestly whine WAY too much about shitty drivers. There are shitty drivers everywhere, it's just that in other places people get used to it and become more aware themselves. Try driving in Thailand, China, Malaysia, etc... You could compile Supa's life time footage in a couple of days.
Advertisement
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #52
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nma View Post
....it's just that in other places people get used to it and become more aware themselves. Try driving in Thailand, China, Malaysia, etc... You could compile Supa's life time footage in a couple of days.
Except the driving culture is different from place to place, so people should adapt to what's acceptable, given where they are.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #53
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
Except the driving culture is different from place to place, so people should adapt to what's acceptable, given where they are.
So why are we so slow to accept the driving culture we live in?
Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #54
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
So why are we so slow to accept the driving culture we live in?

Look at our culture, we are so diverse and balkanized. Downtown if you walk 1 block over the people change sooooo much. Think we can all share a culture? Hell no!

Then go to the 3rd world and watch how they drive, they generally make it work because they share similar culture. Although down there people drink and drive like fucking maniacs!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #55
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekin67835 View Post
He was found to be in breach of a conditional sentence order and was taken into custody.

Would he be arrested if he didn't have a breach?
Posted via RS Mobile
he was remanded into custody on sunday at 1:30am for a breach of cso.

richmond court probably doesnt operate on weekends so he probably saw a judge on monday morning, agreed to remain in custody until today when his breach of cso was processed...
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #56
nma
#RVG

I guess my point was to highlight the safety and regulations aspect. Other countries who have worse - or the same level standards have higher speed limits. There doesn't seem to be a problem there, why would there be one here?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #57
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Full video of the chase;

Luxury car zooms at 180 km/h through Metro Van | CTV Vancouver News
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #58
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vo_hantu View Post
correction to article: 220 max, 160 avg

what chu trying to say?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:44 AM   #59
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
kind of boring =/
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #60
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
As much as I agree with the majority of what you've said, we actually have a pretty golden standard as compared to the rest of the World (in terms of safety regulation and enforcement). While we have some of the lowest speed limits in comparison... Try driving in Thailand, China, Malaysia, etc... You could compile Supa's life time footage in a couple of days.
Quote:
I guess my point was to highlight the safety and regulations aspect. Other countries who have worse - or the same level standards have higher speed limits. There doesn't seem to be a problem there, why would there be one here?
Most of the major cities in those above countries have massive congestion, so it's not possible to go over 30+ km/h in most circumstances. Also, the driving culture in those areas is completely different - having driven in the Philippines I can say that the rule is chaos, and that's why it works.

If you want to talk about countries with very high speed limits, let's talk about Germany. It takes a very long time to get a full license, insurance rates for young drivers are astronomically high, vehicles are fully inspected on a semi-regular basis after a certain age, etc. Drive a Civic at 140 and then a Jetta at 140 and you'll know what I mean regarding the quality of German cars relative to German roads - it's very very well-built.

Furthermore, because of the prohibitively high costs of driving in most of Europe, people tend to see driving as a privilege, and the majority of people take driving quite seriously. Here in North America, unfortunately many people see driving as a right... which results in their abuse of it. Just my $0.02
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #61
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Was it really necessary for the cops to THROW the driver out of his car? The guy was "only" speeding, so aren't they using excessive force?
JaeF is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #62
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeF View Post
Was it really necessary for the cops to THROW the driver out of his car? The guy was "only" speeding, so aren't they using excessive force?
..... he risked his own life and other road users life by excessive speeding, i think a little bruise on his arm won't hurt. Excessive speeding and driving without due care is a criminal offence i highly doubt the cops will prosecute him gently and cuff him with fluffy handcuffs so his wrists won't hurt.

He also refused to stop which would make things worse.

If it was NYPD the guy would probably end up with broken arms.

Last edited by donjalapeno; 04-10-2014 at 12:38 PM.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #63
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
yea he refused to stop thats probably most likely why
jpark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #64
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Quote:
"If the police have to come and get you, usually they're bringing an ass kicking with them" - Chris Rock
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #65
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
As much as I agree with the majority of what you've said, we actually have a pretty golden standard as compared to the rest of the World (in terms of safety regulation and enforcement). While we have some of the lowest speed limits in comparison.
People here honestly whine WAY too much about shitty drivers. There are shitty drivers everywhere, it's just that in other places people get used to it and become more aware themselves. Try driving in Thailand, China, Malaysia, etc... You could compile Supa's life time footage in a couple of days.
They also get killed more frequently...
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #66
I STILL don't get it

I'll say this much, the island I'm from in the Caribbean is pretty third world. Traffic laws are rarely enforced and people do everything from DUI to driving on the shoulder to skip traffic. We saw a lot of rain their too and the road weren't well paved either.

While this made driving very frustrating there was a flip side. You never had to worry about a VI or being pulled over. I used to do some dumb shit when I lived there too...driving a Hyundai Elantra, of all things, at 180km/h for longer than I should, handbrake turns in residential areas....the most asinine things you can think of....because I knew there'd be no consequence to my actions. I'm lucky I didn't kill anyone or myself. In general, people pretty much drove at whatever speed they wanted without the consequence of losing their vehicle, licence or facing jail time. That's not to say everyone drove at ridiculous speeds...most stay around 100-130km/h on larger motorways and slower in the city.

I wanted an Evo since I was around 15 or 16 years old, and always assumed I'd get one while in living back in the Caribbean so I could enjoy it (all vehicles are RHD and subsequently we drive on the left side of the road). I've had a somewhat paradoxical life in the sense that's I've experience both meager and affluent lifestyles while growing up. Even when my family was pretty well off back home I was never given things simply because we could afford them, I was taught to earn what you wanted, take care of what you own (be it cheap or expensive) and never stop educating yourself. Even so my background couldn't come close to the level of wealth I see here in Van.

So years later after all the education and subsequent job, I finally have my evo. I'm much older, but the obsession and love of speed is still there but I live in Vancouver of all places.

Now that I have what I want after years of studying, working and patiently saving, you have no idea how frustrating it is to not be able to drive the bloody thing the way I want. It's like having your dream woman, legs spread begging for it and you're stuck behind an invisible wall. You can't see it but you know it's there and you better not fuck with it.

I'm older now and with experience comes maturity and knowing there's a time and place for everything - (IE I'll wait for autocross, trackday or street legals@Mission). The secondary reason that I don't speed or fuck around is because I know nothing would suck more donkey balls than losing one of the things that is most precious to me after all the years. Consequences to ones actions...that is very important and the real reason why most young drivers don't disobey laws. On the contrary, had I not waited, worked and saved; had the said vehicle been "given" to me then I think there'd be a much higher chance of not giving a fuck and speeding when I felt like it.

I remember one time I came home pretty late from work (2 or 3 am). I pulled into the underground parking for my building and could hear loud revving. Young car guy in me was like, "Ooo that sounds good I wonder what it is", adult in me was like, "What fucking clown is revving around the garage setting off alams?"

Sure enough a young male (looked no older than 21) was driving a white e92 m3 with volk wheels and with an aftermarket exhaust racing through the parkade, slowing down, revving and then racing some more. 3am...nothing better to do. Don't you have class the next day? Or work? No? Hmm....and therein lies the problem.

I like living in Vancouver despite it being a bit boring when compared to other places I've lived, but there's a sense of order and legitimacy to the way things work and how they get done. I suppose my appreciation for Van is a bit biased having come from a 3rd world country.

Regardless, things like this will continue to happen as long as people (irrespective of age and race) have little appreciation for the value of materialistic things.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #67
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
I like living in Vancouver despite it being a bit boring when compared to other places I've lived, but there's a sense of order and legitimacy to the way things work and how they get done. I suppose my appreciation for Van is a bit biased having come from a 3rd world country.

I lived in Costa Rica for a year, I totally understand your views on the 3rd world

Admittedly, I do enjoy sowing chaos a little, don't want things too boring and orderly!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #68
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
was clapping when the cops brought him to the ground, fucker deserved it. Hope we find his face and spread it everywhere

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #69
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Dude is running from the cops... they have to ask themselves WHY he might be running? For all they know, he could be packing enough heat to the make The Terminator jealous. The last thing you'd want in an uncertain situation like that is to give the guy a chance to quietly reach over to the console and whip out a Glock while calmly smiling and say, "Yes, officer, what seems to be the problem?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #70
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
While living on the prairies (alberta and sask) I commonly got speeding tickets.

Ever since moving here I have yet to be stopped. Not that my speeds have decreased much, but it seems more acceptable to speed here ( I live dt and work in N/ Van).
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #71
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Idiot deserved it. Did it say what ethnicity he is?

Sirens are on, you pull over regardless if he wants to stick it up your ass or he needs to clear the way.

Depending on ethnicity, he might not know the 'rules' of the road
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote