REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Chinese drivers ticketed in Richmond licence dispute

A disagreement over the validity of Chinese driver’s licences has led to daily headaches for Richmond Mounties who are ticketing and sometimes towing immigrants who don’t realize they’re not legally allowed to be behind the wheel.

ICBC and the RCMP don’t agree on what licences are allowed in the province, leaving drivers who have been told they can drive shocked when the police tell them they can’t.

ICBC said it tells immigrant drivers from China that they have up to three months to upgrade to a local licence after moving here and their licences are good for up to six months as tourists.

Adam Grossman of ICBC also said students don’t need the licence at all.

“An official driver’s licence, issued by the People’s Republic of China or any other country, is also acceptable for any full-time student in B.C. studying at a recognized institution,” said Grossman.

He referenced B.C. driving regulations to support his argument.

But Cpl. Stephanie Ashton of the RCMP said that’s not the case.

“That only applies to countries that are recognized under the UN conventions of international driving regulations,” Ashton said. “There’s a number of countries that can’t legally drive here without obtaining a B.C. licence.”

According to Ashton, drivers are being pulled over “more than once a day” and warned or ticketed for not having what the RCMP consider to be a valid licence.

Since officers cannot let them drive after being pulled over, if there isn’t a passenger in the car with a valid licence, they must call a cab.

Ashton also said officers need to be able to look at a licence and determine it is valid and an actual licence, which is difficult if it’s in a language the officer doesn’t understand.

She said that could lead to tickets being thrown out of court.

Chinese drivers ticketed in licence dispute | Vancouver 24 hrs

I guess that's why we see people not knowing how to drive around Richmond
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Repost.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/69428...-richmond.html
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,756 Times in 3,869 Posts
And what, you're surprised? I don't need a news report to tell me people of certain demographics can't safety operate a motor vehicle
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
In related news:

Poo smells
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Like shooting fish in a barrel
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

There are people in China that don't need to do the written exam nor a driving test and can get a driver licence in China. I wouldn't trust that they'd be able to transfer their licence here.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote