REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Stephen Colbert to Replace Letterman (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694316-stephen-colbert-replace-letterman.html)

Manic! 04-10-2014 12:50 PM

Stephen Colbert to Replace Letterman

All I can say is WOW!!!!

'Late Show': Stephen Colbert to Replace David Letterman as Host - Hollywood Reporter

Quote:

CBS said Thursday that Stephen Colbert will succeed David Letterman as the host of The Late Show when the latter retires next year.

The five-year agreement between CBS and Colbert was announced by Leslie Moonves, president and CEO of CBS Corp., and Nina Tassler, chairman of CBS Entertainment.

PHOTOS: David Letterman's Career in Pictures [5]

"Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television,” Moonves said. “David Letterman’s legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today’s announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night.”

Added Tassler: “Stephen is a multi-talented and respected host, writer, producer, satirist and comedian who blazes a trail of thought-provoking conversation, humor and innovation with everything he touches. He is a presence on every stage, with interests and notable accomplishments across a wide spectrum of entertainment, politics, publishing and music. We welcome Stephen to CBS with great pride and excitement, and look forward to introducing him to our network television viewers in late night.”

VIDEO: David Letterman's 10 Best Top 10 Moments [6]

The producers and the location for the Colbert-hosted Late Show will be determined and announced at a later date. The premiere date will be announced after Letterman determines his final broadcast. The Late Show airs weeknights at 11:35 p.m.

“Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career,” Colbert said. “I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead.”

He added: “I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”

VIDEO: [7]David Letterman to Retire From CBS' 'Late Show' in 2015 [7]

Letterman announced his retirement on his April 3 show after more than 20 years at CBS.

"The man who owns this network, Leslie Moonves, he and I have had a relationship for years and years and years, and we have had this conversation in the past, and we agreed that we would work together on this circumstance and the timing of this circumstance. And I phoned him just before the program, and I said 'Leslie, it's been great, you've been great, and the network has been great, but I'm retiring,' " Letterman told his audience.

Colbert Report, which launched in 2005, has earned an Emmy win for outstanding variety series (2013) and three Emmy wins for writing for a variety, music or comedy program (2013, 2010, 2008).

Of his replacement, Letterman said this: “Stephen has always been a real friend to me. I’m very excited for him, and I’m flattered that CBS chose him. I also happen to know they wanted another guy with glasses.”

Before that, Colbert spent eight years as a correspondent on Comedy Central’s The Daily Show With Jon Stewart as an on-air personality and writer of news satire. He also has written two books -- I Am America (and So Can You!) and America Again: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren’t -- and won a Grammy for spoken word for America Again earlier this year.

STORY: David Letterman Goes Out On His Terms -- And the Timing Is Right [8]

Colbert was recently embroiled in controversy following a racially insensitive tweet that was sent from the Comedy Central show's Twitter account.

“I am willing to show #Asian community I care by introducing the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever,” The Colbert Report's official Twitter account posted the evening of March 27.

The joke, tweeted without context, was a reference to a bit from the March 26 episode, in which Colbert made fun of Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder's recent move to establish the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation in response to controversy over the team's name, which many consider to be racist. Out of context, the joke shocked and enraged Twitter users, who quickly mobilized a #CancelColbert campaign.

The Colbert Report on March 31 opened with a dream sequence featuring news reports of the outcry calling for the show to be canceled before Colbert -- dressed in Washington Redskins garb -- was wakened by B.D. Wong. Later, the satirical late-night news host didn't miss a beat when he addressed the Twitter controversy in a lengthy "Who's Attacking Me Now?" segment, which also included a rant about emojis. Twitter co-founder Biz Stone also appeared at the end of the program, to shut down @ColbertReport. (The Twitter page no longer exists.)

tool001 04-10-2014 12:59 PM

it was pretty much,, him or john.

rest are meh... all i can say is Jimmy F. watch out..

all i wonder is if SC will be SC or not ie how much content is gonna change

ae101 04-10-2014 06:47 PM

john/SC shows are quite political (that or i have not watched enough of theres shows) not sure if they ppl will execpt it but its a good change

NBC rejected lettermen cuz he was too much like johhny carson which was something they didnt want, cbs picked him up & ratings got better so im not sure if cbs is looking for a change with SC
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 04-10-2014 09:26 PM

I would rather Craig Ferguson get the spot he's witty like Letterman, an everyman like Leno mixed in with his own brand of nuts! he's hilarious but his comedy/style is more suited for late late night i suppose :/

out of the rest i guess Colbert is alright.. dont know he'll make the switch though his style is also very different

knight604 04-10-2014 09:29 PM

Jimmy f. + Conan are my two faves.

urrh 04-10-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8453356)
I would rather Craig Ferguson get the spot he's witty like Letterman, an everyman like Leno mixed in with his own brand of nuts! he's hilarious but his comedy/style is more suited for late late night i suppose :/

out of the rest i guess Colbert is alright.. dont know he'll make the switch though his style is also very different

ferguson is good because every show he does looks like it's his last. he couldn't swear or call his producer a racist at 11:30. he would be more watered down than conan was on his tonight show

ae101 04-10-2014 10:37 PM

i have seen Ferguson before, hes not bad for late late night

StylinRed 04-11-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urrh (Post 8453386)
ferguson is good because every show he does looks like it's his last. he couldn't swear or call his producer a racist at 11:30. he would be more watered down than conan was on his tonight show

yeah they've already been clamping down on his style quite heavily especially after the set upgrade and he's always said he wouldnt want an earlier time slot due to the restrictions but i would still like to see him on earlier

at least he gets a payout with cbs going with colbert

El Bastardo 04-11-2014 07:08 AM

But will be he Stephen Colbert or "Stephen Colbert"? His niche "Republipundit" character was born out of the Bush era and may only become relevant again if the Repubs win the presidency.

Is the Stephen Colbert character really deserving of his own late night variety show? Or will this be Stephen Colbert the comedian who we haven't seen much of?

Hard logic to follow but he does distinguish between who he "really" is and who the character he plays is. With someone like John Stewart or Craig Ferguson the line is a little blurrier.

Splmash 04-11-2014 10:14 AM

I read somewhere that it's not going to be the Conservative character and it's just going to be Stephen Colbert himself.

urrh 04-11-2014 01:08 PM

right now it's all speculation. i bet steven colbert himself doesn't even know yet. we'll have to wait until his new show actually airs.

sonick 04-11-2014 01:27 PM

His agent has confirmed Colbert will not be playing a character and will just be himself.

Splmash 04-11-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urrh (Post 8453761)
right now it's all speculation. i bet steven colbert himself doesn't even know yet. we'll have to wait until his new show actually airs.

Quote:

"I won't be doing the new show in character, so we'll all get to find out how much of him was me. I'm looking forward to it."
- Colbert

Stephen Colbert to succeed David Letterman as host of 'The Late Show' - CNN.com

Klondike 04-11-2014 02:18 PM

It's going to be a big transition from a 30 minute political satire show to a 1 hour talk show.

urrh 04-28-2014 09:58 PM

slightly off topic but i didn't feel like making another thread
craig ferguson is leaving his show
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/29/bu...d-of-year.html
:okay:

viciouscoatings 04-28-2014 10:29 PM

Jimmy kimmel would have been nice
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 04-29-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urrh (Post 8463142)
slightly off topic but i didn't feel like making another thread
craig ferguson is leaving his show
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/29/bu...d-of-year.html
:okay:

was just going to make a thread about this :okay:

guess he did take it personally even through he pretended he never wanted it

side note i did not know Craig was only 51! guess the drugs n alcohol really did fuck him up

:okay: going to miss the show

missed his stand up when he came by too bleh :(

Craig tweeted this saying this is the real story

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/crai...ve-1201166239/

quasi 04-29-2014 12:50 PM

Don't they have to pay Ferguson a chunk of cash for not giving him the job? Not a bad gig, get paid millions to not work.