REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Blacklisted phones

I'm int he market for a nexus 5 (to replace my nexus 4) but I'm kinda terrified to buy one off craigslist. What I need to know is I see alot of heavily discounted nexus 5 on craigslist.

Do these phones still work on wind?
Advertisement
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
if its blacklisted it wont work at atll
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

Hmm, I'm worried then. Seems like there are alot of stolen nexus 5's on CL.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Why dont you meet up at the said carriers store and do an IMEI check?

If you want more, you can get the sellers DL# and name and sign a receipt saying they sold it to you. If they dont want to do any of that, well you know to walk away.

I dont get why this is so hard.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

There is a thread in here about someone's bad experience buying a phone off Craigslist:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69268...-own-risk.html
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
honestly your best bet now is the phone sellers here on RS

at least you can tell if the seller is legit by looking at their post history and if their long term members.. there is one listing for nexus 5 at the buy and sell forums right now

couple of people who bought their phones and got swindled from CL are selling them back for cheaper discount.. well the ones listed below at least tells you its already been blacklisted

Samsung note 3 black

Nexus 5 16G For Sale

Nexus 5

LNIB Nexus 5 16GB with BAD IMEI For International Use Only or Repair

Quote:
SCAM ALERT ----New Nexus 5 16GB with Reciepts---Watch Out For Scammers - $300 (vancouver)

Watch out for scammers selling new phones or ipad mini with receipts then reporting them stolen a few days later. Or they bought them will stolen credit cards so the phone will get blacklisted once the credit card company flags the unauthorized transactions. To ensure you don't get scammed meet at the carrier store where the phone was bought and have the phone ownership transferred to your name. Also get a picture of their driver's license and picture in case anything should happen to the phone later.

Watch out for a Filipino guy in East Van area driving a MPV Van...young chinese guy...and a East Indian guy running these scams

Watch out for the scammer with this phone number:
604-265-2308 604-220-5451 778-683-6985
SCAM ALERT ----New Nexus 5 16GB with Reciepts---Watch Out For Scammers

looking at all that shit.. thats enough to discourage me from buying any phone from anyone i have no info about...
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
I'm int he market for a nexus 5 (to replace my nexus 4) but I'm kinda terrified to buy one off craigslist. What I need to know is I see alot of heavily discounted nexus 5 on craigslist.

Do these phones still work on wind?
different koodo kiosk sometimes have certified preowned phones for cheap.

if you want new, i would just pitch in and buy it out right. it will save you a big headache in the long run. i've learned the hard way.

Quote:
Watch out for a Filipino guy in East Van area driving a MPV Van...young chinese guy...and a East Indian guy running these scams
lol.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Theres lots of issues of people buying blacklisted phones.. you need to find out the original carrier if the seller isnt the first owner...
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
I would make a deal over RS whenever possible over randoms on CL.

Like dub mentioned, you can get a good idea of the person by looking up their post history.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #10

I dont understand prices for nexus 5's though. People are asking for google price when selling them.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

buy new, save yourself some grief.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
From that post with the picture there, I got jipped by the young chinese guy.... he was barely out of his teens, weighed like a 100 pounds wet, close to 6 feet, but height is deceptive since he had spiky Manga style honger hair but dressed like a punk rocker for some reason... he seemed pretty nervous when he was talking to me, now I understand why....

Funny story is when I tried getting help for it, the Wind call center told me to come back to a Wind location and call them from there, so I went into the one on Kingsway and 10th... guy inside absolutely refused to help me saying this is between me and Wind, he said he didn't want to be tying up a phone line to help me out with something that was between me and Wind.... I had to get pretty firm with him saying it's a Wind store I walked into, wasn't Ranjit's telecom or whatever, it was literally his job to deal with Wind customers like me... anyway he caved not because I made a point he couldn't argue, but probably because he just wanted me out of the store as some customers came in..
anyway it was absolutely fruitless, not the Filipino Wind customer service center (I used to think the Indian call centers are the worst) nor their storefront employee's wanted to help me, so I sent the phone down to my brother in South america where he sold it for $600 usd, the IMEI down there isn't blocked so turned out a nice $200 profit for the hassle.. I had no problem doing that once I realized it wasn't someones stolen property which I had planned on returning, it was just a simple scam, and nobody seemed to give a shit even when I tried doing the right thing...
Old 04-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #13

it's not stolen property per say.

it's cc scam. I know filipinos back in the day who would sell macbook pro's for 1500 (3300 retail)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
it's not stolen property per say.

it's cc scam. I know filipinos back in the day who would sell macbook pro's for 1500 (3300 retail)
i dunno. took something you didn't pay for. pretty well textbook example of theft.

whats worse? theft of fraud?