REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Carry-on Luggage Recommendations/What do you use?

This might be better suited for Flyertalk but thought I'd ask here first. Currently looking at 20' to 22' Carry-on's and I'm curious what you guys recommend. I'd be interested to hear what you guys use as well.

I only travel about 1-4 times a year but I do want a carry-on that will last. I'm open to spinner or rollaboard's. Budget shouldnt be above $200 ideally so even though I wouldn't mind a Briggs and Riley/Tumi/Eagle Creek, I don't think I'd make it worthwhile since I'm not a frequent flyer.

Currently, I'm looking at the following but I'm open to suggestions:
Travelpro 22' Flight Crew 4 Rollaboard
Travelpro 22' Maxlite 2 Rollaboard
Advertisement
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
I bought my Eagle Creek Tarmac 22 at Atmosphere and I love it
I use a Tumi Alpha for my checked luggage, but I think the Eagle Creek actually has better built quality.
use a 20% team assist coupon, or wait for the friends/family sale for 25% off.
I love the individual compartments, including the waterproof compartments, tie compartment etc, makes it very easy to find stuff when you are hopping from hotel to hotel.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
All I can say about carry-on is that get one with the largest wheels. (and 4-wheels is a MUST) It makes pushing around so much easier.

I have a Rimowa Topas Multi-wheel Cabin... if you have any crew friends (or make one on the flight) flying to FRA, get it there. I got it for around $600 IIRC after their discount. And it's quite spacious... on my usual business trips (2~4 days)... I can have everything I need in there.

Rimowa Salsa is very light and has the same big-ass wheels... you could look that up if you want something cheaper.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I have a Rimowa Topas Multi-wheel Cabin... if you have any crew friends (or make one on the flight) flying to FRA, get it there. I got it for around $600 IIRC after their discount. And it's quite spacious... on my usual business trips (2~4 days)... I can have everything I need in there.

Rimowa Salsa is very light and has the same big-ass wheels... you could look that up if you want something cheaper.
Way above OP's budget.

I'm well aware it's a lot cheaper in Europe + crew get discounts...but is it really that low at $600 for Topa? What's the discount rate? My Salsa carryon was around $600 cad already.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Way above OP's budget.

I'm well aware it's a lot cheaper in Europe + crew get discounts...but is it really that low at $600 for Topa? What's the discount rate? My Salsa carryon was around $600 cad already.
way above my budget but it's still interesting to see what other RS-ers use. seeing what others use might even convince me to shell out more for a quality piece.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
I had to replace a suitcase earlier this year, and I ended up with a Briggs and Riley Transcend instead of the usual Samsonite/Delsey type of stuff. I reasoned it out as an investment even if you only fly once or twice a year. I just really like the concept of a no questions asked warranty that also covers mishandling, not just defects. Airport handlers don't do "gentle" with bags. I'd like a B&R carry on as well but I have a simple Samsonite spinner that I use so no need for one just yet... Though maybe I can pass that one on to my girlfriend and justify buying one. I have a Tumi computer shoulder bag passed on from my dad that I also use as a carryon and I think my brother's b&r shoulder bag is slightly better built though not as good looking.

My dad is a huge Tumi fan but we've soured on them a bit since the switch from their lifetime warranty to a five year deal, and not covering damage like they used to.

For a great deal, look at the Kirkland Signature luggage from the USA Costcos, they're usually very good copies of other brands stuff. We picked one up a couple of years ago which was almost an identical copy of my dad's Tumi Alpha carryon. And Costco prices and warranty is hard to beat.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signa....11760915.html

Found it! This is the Tumi Alpha copy. It's damn good value, just not turn lightest bag out there. My dad bring this with him to Asia and back regularly and it's done great. I steal it when I can.
fml
Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Kirkland Signature? 21.5" Expandable Upright Carry-On

Found it! This is the Tumi Alpha copy. It's damn good value, just not turn lightest bag out there. My dad bring this with him to Asia and back regularly and it's done great. I steal it when I can.
i was actually looking at this exact one earlier today! some of the reviews said it doesn't meet carry-on requirements however. have you or your dad had any problems with putting it into the overhead?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3 View Post
i was actually looking at this exact one earlier today! some of the reviews said it doesn't meet carry-on requirements however. have you or your dad had any problems with putting it into the overhead?
Depends which airline / route you're flying.

Just go for luggage cases from Costco. Heard many stories where even after they are damaged / smashed up.... Costco will still refund you the money.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Way above OP's budget.

I can't remember the exact price. But it was around 20% for crew discount and another 19% for tax refund. Total: 600 IIRC when the CC bill came. The funny thing is I wasn't even planning on getting one. I just happened to run into the same stewardess I flew with two weeks prior and we started chatting. Somehow we led to a good carry-on topic and she mentioned to me about her discount. So we went straight to the shop after arrival (it was 5min from FRA) and voila.

Even with today's Germany's price works out about that number when you tack on all the discounts.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #11

Which airline was that Crew member from?

Too bad I don't fly FRA
Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3 View Post
No problems, but he usually flies wide bodies and 737's, not regional jets or turboprop planes.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #13
Old School RS

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,205 Posts
I am not baller enough for a Rimowa either, but use a very high quality Heys that was great deal from the Bay and was happy enough with it that I bought a 30" version for when I need to check a bag. They don't seem to have the exact model listed, but they have several on sale right now...
HEYS | Brands | Hudson's Bay

I am in the minority but I can't stand 4-wheelers in smaller bags as I find instead of rolling along they often want to tip over as they get stuck on the smallest bumps in the road. My 30" is a spinner but the carry on is a 2-wheel and that's ideal for me - they are stronger, lower profile, and 2 wheels less to break... but that's just me!

Mark
Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Which airline was that Crew member from?

Too bad I don't fly FRA
AC
Old 04-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I am in the minority but I can't stand 4-wheelers in smaller bags as I find instead of rolling along they often want to tip over as they get stuck on the smallest bumps in the road. My 30" is a spinner but the carry on is a 2-wheel and that's ideal for me - they are stronger, lower profile, and 2 wheels less to break... but that's just me!
Agreed, don't like spinners as much. Prefer the classic two-wheel roller... especially those with the bigger wheels that can roll easier over stuff. My B&R... so smooth and durable. My Samsonite carry-on is a spinner and I have issues with it sometimes on thicker carpet.
fml
Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Agreed, don't like spinners as much. Prefer the classic two-wheel roller... especially those with the bigger wheels that can roll easier over stuff. My B&R... so smooth and durable. My Samsonite carry-on is a spinner and I have issues with it sometimes on thicker carpet.
That's why you need to find something with large wheels... small wheels just doesn't cut it.

My Rimowa is strong enough that I use all the time as seating when I wait to board in North American airports as their lounge is neither a place to work, nor enjoy nor sleep. Well, probably with the flagship MLL at YYZ being the only exception. But even that is still far far away from Asian airports.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #17

Costco carry HEYS all the time too. iirc either $159 or $199 for 2-3 pieces.
Combined with their refund policy...you can't go wrong
Old 04-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #18
Old School RS

Totally, although it's worth paying attention as Heys has a wide range of products and their cheaper ones are not much different than any other cheap product. If you can get 3 pieces for $159 and not marked down from like $1000, it's probably crap.

I paid about $125 for my carryon and I believe it was marked down from around $400.

Mark
Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #19
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I hope you didn't get those huge carry ons or have several with you. Sometimes is annoying when someone bring a huge carry on and basically took 2/3 of the space.

Some people might hate this but I feel there should be a restriction on how many carry on and how big the carry on are allow. That way everyone have enough space to put their stuff.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Some people might hate this but I feel there should be a restriction on how many carry on and how big the carry on are allow. That way everyone have enough space to put their stuff.
I think you mean "I wish the airlines were more strict about enforcing their rules on carry-on luggage" as every airline on the planet has rules governing the amount of carry-on you can take.

Most airlines allow 1 roll aboard (with dimensions published) and 1 "personal item" (laptop/briefcase/purse).

Mark
Old 04-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I hope you didn't get those huge carry ons or have several with you. Sometimes is annoying when someone bring a huge carry on and basically took 2/3 of the space.

Always fly business/first class... problem solved.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
B&r - is amazing, so well made, lifetime warranty

Amazon.com: Briggs & Riley Luggage Baseline Spinner, Olive, Carry on: Clothing
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote