REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Dogs and Allergies

I've compiled a list of dogs that are supposedly better for allergy sufferers, but I'm looking for first-hand accounts. I know there are no hypo allergenic dogs, really, so I'm looking to hear from those with dog allergies (dander and saliva specifically) who actually have dogs, or had, or spend a lot of time around them, and which breeds you've found least bothersome. I'm looking for dogs who can go hiking - no toy dogs, no poodles (cross doodles ok).

Very curious about border collies and if any allergy sufferers have been able to live with one. In the end I'll probably have to spend some time with my face in a few actual dogs, but would like to narrow down the list.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I have allergies to dog dander, saliva, and skin. Nothing crazy, but I get itchy and if I don't wash my house before touching my eyes or mouth, it gets crazy itchy and swollen.

Here's a list of dogs I've come across with lots of interaction and the reactions:

Golden Retriever (many years of interaction, RIP)- surprising, not a lot of reaction here. I interacted with her the most, and can't think of any really bad instances where I was really allergic.

Boxer (many years ago, RIP)- no real allergies that I can recall.

Goldendoodle (many years, not so much interaction these days, small type)- this one gets me all the time. Everytime I see her she starts licking me. In the past I used to give her a ton of belly rubs because she demanded them. I didn't wash my hands and paid for it. Even now when I see her, I make a concerted effort to wash my hands but sometimes it doesn't help.

American Eskimo (one time thing)- This one was bad. Pretty sure it was dander because the thing sheds like crazy. Probably next to the doodle for reactions.

Maltipoo (pretty often nowadays)- Not as bad as the doodle above. Wash my hands and I'm ok.

Bernese Mountain (a few times a year)- a bit worse than the golden. I think it's the dander with this guy because he doesn't lick much. Probably the second best in terms of allergic reactions.

Basically what I've learned in my case is wash your hands after touching the doc and you're mostly ok. I've said hi to a lot of lab retrievers in passing. I think if you are looking for an active dog that's not as "sheddy" I'd probably go lab or big doodle. Prior isn't technically hypoallergenic, but from personal experience I've had no issues.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Thanks! That's interesting that the goldendoodle caused a reaction. Goldendoodle and Labradoodle are high on my list for allergen reasons and generally cute/goofiness, but Golden Retriever would be awesome. I had crossed that off fearing they're bad for allergens, but maybe I'll see how I do with them. Generally I also find that washing my hands makes things okay, but it might be a different story if it's living in my house..
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Yeah I totally know what you mean. The doodle was my best friend's dog so I've seen a lot of her. The Golden was my fiancee's dog that I spent the better part of 5 years with. We hung out in the house, on walks, pretty much everywhere and I can't remember a single time where allergies got the better of me.

I understand you're in a tough spot because you can't really "return" the dog if it doesn't work out. Hopefully you can find a breed that ends up being a good match.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: