REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #26
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
vanish...
Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I know two people who got glass from IO, so they've had them for.. almost 2 years I guess. It's still too much of a novelty to be considered 'practical'.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I know two people who got glass from IO, so they've had them for.. almost 2 years I guess. It's still too much of a novelty to be considered 'practical'.
I think it's still far from finished. But from a professional perspective as an IT consultant, we are witnessing the beginning of next era of information flow.

It is about the way people perceive, obtain, process and output information.

The next generation of information flow is going to be extending the reach we have on information. I believe Google Glass or other similar wearable techs would ultimately enhance our senses. Imagine a Google Glass capable of seeing in a 360" view. It could capture and process information around us in ways we, as human, never thought possible. The Glass could read a note for you in milliseconds, give you a quick summary (if it's tl;dr for you) and even make certain decision for you depending on your setting. It could warn you of an object in your blind spot when you are driving or even recognize a scenery, person or exotic cars that's coming toward you that you might be interested.

This is why I think Google Glass is not just some gimmick. It is going to revolutionize the way we live our lives. It's in its infancy... yes. But it is the way it's going to be.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #29

Skipped work for a quick drive to US. Here it is...

A quick first impression... it's really cool. It basically acts as a quick access to Google Now and you get all your information very quickly. I could access my calendar, contact, message... etc without ever taking my phone out.

The peripheral vision is a bit weird at first... but after about 30min, I think I am quite use to it. And it's not obstructive at all.

The voice recognition is a bit of hit and miss sometimes, but maybe that has something to do with my accent.

The amount of apps available seems ok... but of course it's nothing like PlayStore or App Store. Gonna test it a bit later and hopefully I can find something interesting.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #30
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think it's still far from finished. But from a professional perspective as an IT consultant, we are witnessing the beginning of next era of information flow.

It is about the way people perceive, obtain, process and output information.

The next generation of information flow is going to be extending the reach we have on information. I believe Google Glass or other similar wearable techs would ultimately enhance our senses. Imagine a Google Glass capable of seeing in a 360" view. It could capture and process information around us in ways we, as human, never thought possible. The Glass could read a note for you in milliseconds, give you a quick summary (if it's tl;dr for you) and even make certain decision for you depending on your setting. It could warn you of an object in your blind spot when you are driving or even recognize a scenery, person or exotic cars that's coming toward you that you might be interested.

This is why I think Google Glass is not just some gimmick. It is going to revolutionize the way we live our lives. It's in its infancy... yes. But it is the way it's going to be.
I'm not saying it isn't the way of the future, but it's not practical for consumers at this point (An LV bag is probably better value). It's barely practical for future looking business too. It's literally a novelty. I was in charge of future tech at my company, and we had glass in our office, it was pointless. Exploring possibilities with Leap Motion is a much better use of your time and money.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #31
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Tell me how it is for videos and everything!

If everything is very good I might get one :P
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
Tell me how it is for videos and everything!

If everything is very good I might get one :P
I only did a few quick shots today while walking with my son. Honestly, the quality is nothing to write home about. Think it as a iPhone 4s gen quality. Hopefully they can improve via firmware because it's really just barely usable as of today's newest update. (kitkat) But any decent phone would be able to match/surpass what Glass has to offer.

Glass might be a chick repellant but it attracts attention like crazy. Although it seems to me most who turned their head after seeing my Glass were dudes.

As for apps, a few apps are really awesome (or at least its concept). Fancy for Glass is an app that takes pics of things (clothing/shoes) and find you similar products for you to buy. AlltheCook is an awesome awesome app that gives you recipe and instruction for cook stuff. WordLens translate words you are currently seeing to English.

The problem though is that most of the apps available to Glass are either something very basic to complement Glass or simply link certain function/apps from your phone to Glass, or they are some great apps with very good ideas that still need a lot of polishing before being ready for mainstream.

All in all... very cool and interesting.

Is it worth the 1500+tax? Definitely not... but it is something truly revolutionary. It's nothing like gadgets I have ever used before.

Last edited by Hehe; 04-17-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #33
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
so how do you control it? All voice commands?
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
so how do you control it? All voice commands?
Posted via RS Mobile
Voice control is the primary control. You could still swipe your way through on the sensor area. But the way it works is, you tilt your head to activate Glass (so screen comes on). Then you say "ok, Glass" and you'd see a bunch of commands you can say.

You could also tilt you head up and down to see what options you have. Then just say the option and whatever you want it to do. For example: Google Revscene. And it would search. I just tried it that exact command and it gave me a brief header from revscene.net.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
stupid question...is it illegal to operate a motor vehicle when wearing the Google Glass?
future models could have things like risk/hazard assessments/gps info.

Exclusive: Google sets roadblocks to stop distracted driver legislation | Reuters
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #36
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
The law allows hands free devices so you should be good right? But I don't think it takes in to account new tech like glass
Posted via RS Mobile
GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #37

As a Glass owner, I think the government is WAY overreacting. It's just the fear of unknown.

It's a product that has yet to hit mainstream. Why not at least wait until it comes to market and then make a decision? By limiting it before it even gets to the public, the government is effectively killing innovation. Just because they sorta know what it does is not a good representation of what it actually does.

Heck, I even think Glass, if implemented correctly, can actually make each and every one of us a better driver. Human can only concentrate on so many things at once when they are driving. Glass can help us to expand that ability in a magnitude impossible for human.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #38
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
stupid question...is it illegal to operate a motor vehicle when wearing the Google Glass?
future models could have things like risk/hazard assessments/gps info.

Exclusive: Google sets roadblocks to stop distracted driver legislation | Reuters
lol reminds me of that eps of the simpsons where homer was addicted to those glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote