REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #351
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

International students aren't entitled to free education anyway from what I know.
Advertisement
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #352
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
There are 2 types of "Chinese" students.

1. International students who pay multiples of what local students pay, especially to public schools and education. (not to mention it create jobs for house parents etc).
2. New immigrants, if they own property (which most of them do). Their property taxes will pay for the schooling.

I would argue we DON'T have enough international students. We have a huge glut of teachers.. more International students create jobs for those teachers, at a profit margin higher than local students.

One way to solve the problem is force all the private language colleges with ESL teachers to close and make all those students pay extra to go to schools run by the gov.. so we can take those profits.

The problem especially in Coq.. is there are NOT ENOUGH international students in public schools.. the programs are running deficits.

Another point to consider: because of "blended families" and divorces, we have the same population living in 1+ more households, diluting population density, make providing services harder and making real estate more expensive. Honestly we need a tax on divorces. You want a divorce? You have to pay for the additional burden on social services you incur.

Just because YOU see things, doesn't mean it is true.. it is called confirmation bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
So where are all these kids coming from? Simple answer, mostly China...
I know some of you may think I'm being racist or picking on the Asians, but I'm just telling it how I see it. I'm in the construction/real estate industry and see the facts on a daily basis. Asian families coming to Canada and bringing their kids there, so the kids can get a good education. They buy houses in the areas with the best schools. They want the best for their kids, and who's to blame them, I'm sure everyone else does too.

But unlike the new immigrants, Canadians have been living here, paying high taxes, so that schools can have good teachers and new books for students. New immigrants? Nope, the only taxes they pay are property taxes on their new houses. I'm all for immigration, which drives the country and benefits everyone. But I'm not interested in paying more taxes so that more people can come here from China, get their kids educated for free and not even bother to learn the language.

I feel that non-citizens should not be entitled to free education. There are plenty of private schools that have great teachers and even better materials than public schools. If a family can afford to come here and buy a $5mil house in Shaughnessy, they can afford to pay for private school. If an immigrant comes to this country and they can prove that they are truly here for a better life and to work and pay taxes, then great, give their kids a free education.

Last edited by godwin; 06-27-2014 at 12:02 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #353
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
As far as I know, international students only have to pay in full for schooling for post secondary education. For elementary school and high school, all you have to do is show that you live in the designated area for that particular school and that you are a permanent resident in Canada. Before the investor program got shut down, the Chinese immigrants were granted automatic permanent resident status. That means free education for their children. Shutting down the investor program is a step in the right direction, not only for real estate, but for the schooling issues as well.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #354

Actually it is $12k a year at VSB Year-long Study | Vancouver School Board for foreign elementary to high school students. Also the school board can refuse problematic students with low academic grades (so other than ESL, you don't need Special Ed teachers which are labour intensive). + they pay their own health insurance + of course home stay etc.

Granted it is still pittance compared with 80k at my old high school charges out in TO.

As for investors program, you have to have a few million in an approved business plan invested in the local economy (no matter if it is a Best Western or a Chinese restaurant).. that generates revenue for CRA.

Quote:
As far as I know, international students only have to pay in full for schooling for post secondary education. For elementary school and high school, all you have to do is show that you live in the designated area for that particular school and that you are a permanent resident in Canada. Before the investor program got shut down, the Chinese immigrants were granted automatic permanent resident status. That means free education for their children. Shutting down the investor program is a step in the right direction, not only for real estate, but for the schooling issues as well.

Last edited by godwin; 06-27-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #355

But those fees are not applicable to Landed Immigrants or Permanent Residents...

What I'm saying is, before the Investor Program got shut down, the families that came over and bought up all the houses in Vancouver West were granted permanent residency. Same goes for Burnaby. Their kids now go to schools for free.

This post FAILED by:
Old 06-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #356

Investors program still need to have an approved business plan. It is not as simple as writing a cheque.

When they buy up properties, they do pay for taxes that go directly to schools annually just like any property owner (due next week BTW). In fact the bigger their houses, the larger will be their assessments. There are often no grants for them either. Last I check, the funding for public schools come largely from the real estate assessments (at least as a line item) not personal or corporate income taxes.

In fact for the landed immigrants who enroll their kids in private schools, they are paying extra into the public school system without complaining about it. Heck I don't use any local school system (ever, I moved from out of province), yet I still pay for it via my property assessment every year, I estimate it is 7k a year portion of my property assessment?.

Quote:
But those fees are not applicable to Landed Immigrants or Permanent Residents...

What I'm saying is, before the Investor Program got shut down, the families that came over and bought up all the houses in Vancouver West were granted permanent residency. Same goes for Burnaby. Their kids now go to schools for free.

Last edited by godwin; 06-27-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #357

that's fine, but clearly they aren't paying enough. Maybe the property taxes for $3mil+ houses should be increased, especially if the family residing there has school age children. If the Gov't is saying that every person is BC will need to pay an additional $13k in taxes over the next 6 years, where are they going to collect those taxes? From property taxes or income taxes?

Last edited by xpl0sive; 06-27-2014 at 12:47 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #358

School taxes have traditionally come from property assessments. I don't think BC property assessment has the authority or data to separate households with or without kids.. Even if we go that route, I would say tax every special cases, as I had alluded, the divorced parents. Then you will devoid into tax parents with kids who need special attention at school, eg fetal alcohol etc etc? I would say resource wise, new immigrants use much less education resource than local kids with ADHD, FAS or other behavioral problems, because we get to preselect immigrants (along with their parents) during the immigration process. Any immediate family with psych, physical issues, you don't get to get in because you need a Canadian gov approved doctor to do a physical exam.

Besides I suspect the new immigrants kids play a significant role of the reason why we are 3rd in rankings in educaiton. Basically BC gets to cherry pick the bright and richest students from the world's population pool. No to mention, not all new immigrants or permanent residents are from China, I would say a minority. Most of the profs at universities are Americans, not to mention high to mid level workers at local tech, engineering and aviation firms, also MDs, (especially the good ones, not to mention the majority who shlep at boondoggle no where) They don't need to go through the "traditional" immigration process, just present their education credentials (MSc+) and employment letter at the border they are free to enter. They are all classified as permanent residents and are no need to queue for citizens of NAFTA countries eg.

Honestly even if you increase 3mill+ assessment, it won't change the fact that all teacher colleges in town make a killing in training teachers and there is just a glut of grads. With realty prices increasing 10% a year, it won't take that long for all the standalone houses in YVR to be 3mill+. Heck my townhouse already passed that threshold a while back and I bought it when it was built in 99.

Quote:
that's fine, but clearly they aren't paying enough. Maybe the property taxes for $3mil+ houses should be increased, especially if the family residing there has school age children. If the Gov't is saying that every person is BC will need to pay an additional $13k in taxes over the next 6 years, wheere are they going to collect those taxes? From property taxes or income taxes?

Last edited by godwin; 06-27-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #359
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
that's fine, but clearly they aren't paying enough. Maybe the property taxes for $3mil+ houses should be increased, especially if the family residing there has school age children. If the Gov't is saying that every person is BC will need to pay an additional $13k in taxes over the next 6 years, where are they going to collect those taxes? From property taxes or income taxes?
My company's CEO has a 9 Million dollar home in White Rock, he's paying $26k a year in property tax, and only has 1 kid who's in private school. How much more do you want him to pay?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #360
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
International students bring in a tonne of money. We're not talking immigrants. Schools that have international students use all that extra money to pay for a lot of the materials they need for the other students. Why is the government so keen on making sure summer school this year is a go? They don't care about the few who need it to pass or make up classes. It's the money International students bring in.

Back to the immigrant students. They are the least of the schools' problems. Asian kids are,by nature, the quiet ones. No problem with core subjects except English.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #361
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
International students bring in a tonne of money. We're not talking immigrants. Schools that have international students use all that extra money to pay for a lot of the materials they need for the other students. Why is the government so keen on making sure summer school this year is a go? They don't care about the few who need it to pass or make up classes. It's the money International students bring in.

Also, the immigrant students are the least of the schools' problems. Asian kids are,by nature, the ones. No problem with core subjects except English.
I think the larger issue is that a vocal minority of people would rather turn down the money if it means a more homogenous culture.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #362
MG1

wow, I was on my iPhone and somehow saw a post from a page ago........ most of what I've said has already been addressed by the time I replied.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #363
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I think the larger issue is that a vocal minority of people would rather turn down the money if it means a more homogenous culture.
International students are only here for a relatively short time. They bring oodles of money. Not sure how much, but by the time everybody takes their share, the schools get a couple of thousand per student. Have a dozen or so of them and it's like 20 to 30 grand for extra computers, textbooks, etc. for that school.

Ah, here is an article that sort of gives you an idea of what it's all about.

Cashing in on foreign students - Macleans.ca

As a side note, every district has different ways of dealing with the money.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #364

I rented properties to international university students in the Interior mostly Kelowna.. They are insanely generous, since most of them, it is their first experience outside their home and they have unlimited resources from their parents. Especially at the end of their stay. One of them left her Smart as gift to the house keeper etc. I had a few didn't come back next school year and all their belongings (computers, clothes etc were all donated to local churches).

The key is to structure your lease thoughtfully, think in their perspective what they need. Include housekeeping and cleaning services, storage over summer etc. Make it clear in the lease agreement. (especially storage they have to prepay or put a deposit). I think there are huge trickle down effect, as I try to hire neighborhood house cleaners, yardsmen etc.

Quote:
International students are only here for a relatively short time. They bring oodles of money. Not sure how much, but by the time everybody takes their share, the schools get a couple of thousand per student. Have a dozen or so of them and it's like 20 to 30 grand for extra computers, textbooks, etc. for that school.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #365
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
My company's CEO has a 9 Million dollar home in White Rock, he's paying $26k a year in property tax, and only has 1 kid who's in private school. How much more do you want him to pay?
For 9 million that's really low in property taxes to be honest. BC and Canada have very low property taxes. Course we make it up by higher sales tax. Look at Seattle or worse California he'll be paying 1% of his assessment.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #366
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

Ah, here is an article that sort of gives you an idea of what it's all about.

Cashing in on foreign students - Macleans.ca

As a side note, every district has different ways of dealing with the money.
I was accepted into University of York in the UK a few years back. For a three year course as an international student, the tuition was just shy of $150,000. And that didn't include school materials, rent or living expenses.

So, yeah... you can see why Universities in particular and schools in general love international students.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #367
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I was accepted into University of York in the UK a few years back. For a three year course as an international student, the tuition was just shy of $150,000. And that didn't include school materials, rent or living expenses.

So, yeah... you can see why Universities in particular and schools in general love international students.
It will be pretty funny and sad at the same time if university in BC accepts way more international students then locals due to money not because the locals don't meet the requirements.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #368

global competition. International students have better grades and AP/IB scores than locals why not? Honestly nowadays with High school being MUCH easier (no provincial exams except for English etc) if you dont get good grades, you really are slacking.

Unless UBC adopts a similar system like California where the school must admit a majority from in-state, international students are going to keep coming. Come to think of it international students are absolute cash cows for UBC, Aside from high tuition, Im sure ENGL110 and 112 will make a good chunk of international students retake it or do the LPI which means more money from repeat semesters. $$$$$.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #369
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
UBC already has a "international student" school - UBC Vantage College

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #370
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
UBC already has a "international student" school - UBC Vantage College
Minimum English requirements

• a minimum score of 70 on the TOEFL iBT with no section less than 16 OR
  • a minimum overall score of 5.5 on the IELTS with a minimum band score of 5.0 in speaking and listening, and 5.5 in reading and writing

Minimum requirements for science streams

• senior-level Mathematics (Pre-Calculus) with a minimum grade of 68% (or nearest equivalent on other grading scales)
  • junior- or Grade 11-level Physics and Chemistry (or nearest equivalent)
UBC - You Bring Cash
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:38 AM   #371

Also note it is only 1st year programs.

I really don't know what's the attraction of UBC in the last 10 years.. when you get that GPA to get in, you can get into any Ivy League universities. Business? Do it in Stanford is way more profitable on the long run than UBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
Minimum English requirements

• a minimum score of 70 on the TOEFL iBT with no section less than 16 OR
  • a minimum overall score of 5.5 on the IELTS with a minimum band score of 5.0 in speaking and listening, and 5.5 in reading and writing

Minimum requirements for science streams

• senior-level Mathematics (Pre-Calculus) with a minimum grade of 68% (or nearest equivalent on other grading scales)
  • junior- or Grade 11-level Physics and Chemistry (or nearest equivalent)
UBC - You Bring Cash
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #372
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Also note it is only 1st year programs.

I really don't know what's the attraction of UBC in the last 10 years.. when you get that GPA to get in, you can get into any Ivy League universities. Business? Do it in Stanford is way more profitable on the long run than UBC.
The attraction is that asian parents can tell their friends they their kid goes to UBC, because everyone in Vancouver knows what UBC is. Many asians who are local may not know where Yale, Stanford, or Queens is and might regard that "oh your kid wasn't good enough so they had to go to a out of town school to get in".

It's also close enough that the kid can stay at home so the parents can keep an eye on them.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #373
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
The attraction is that asian parents can tell their friends they their kid goes to UBC, because everyone in Vancouver knows what UBC is. Many asians who are local may not know where Yale, Stanford, or Queens is and might regard that "oh your kid wasn't good enough so they had to go to a out of town school to get in".

It's also close enough that the kid can stay at home so the parents can keep an eye on them.
1 year is extremely ambitious don't you think for somebody who does not even need to have Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Calculus 12? I would be really interested to know how you can solve university-level physics problem with only a 68% pre-calc grade and no calculus at all. The intentional students will probably need at least 2 years to go into regular stream if everything goes to plan with no course repeats.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #374

Quote:

Umm... many asians who are local will know what stanford or yale is and those schools are way more prestigious to brag to their friends about.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #375
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:

UBC's ranked pretty high on global charts and the assumption is that if you are staying locally, you better end up at UBC. I was on a tour bus full of seniors in China and all of them would ask me if I was in university and subsequently whether I went to UBC. Only if I said yes that I was still in school would it make them feel at ease and many of them don't seem to recognize SFU as well.

I disagree that many don't know what Yale, Stanford, and Queens are since Chinese are big on education. If Asian mom's are anything like mine, they'll inform their friends how difficult and prestigious it is to get in. I had a family friend's son only get on the waitlist for Stanford undergrad and that was already being talked about by everyone (his dad threatened to kill himself if he choose UBC cause he said it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and he's a silicon valley guy).

Also, since my cousin got into Stanford law (ranked #2 with Harvard) with a 99% average from UBC, his mom knows the other mom of a local guy who got into Yale law (ranked #1).

The point? there are so few local people getting into these top schools that word spreads. The only people that might not know are the illiterate, grandparent's, or family's where there is no tradition of education.

And No, I disagree with godwin that if you have the grades to get into UBC then you get easily get into an Ivy, which have acceptance rates ranging roughly from 6.72% - 14%. There are also minimum SAT scores you probably need to be accepted which many students can't attain without an excellent grasp of English. Another personal anecdote, my other cousin even got rejected for Stanford undergrad yet she was obviously capable since she ended up graduating magna cum laude from a different Ivy and then later getting an MBA as class president.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 06-28-2014 at 02:21 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote