REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #651
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Memo to Iker and Fassbender: this is how negotiations work.

Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #652
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
What the teachers need to understand is that if they get all their demands, they'll be fucking over the kids in the future with the extra debt it creates.
What extra debt? It's up to the government how the education system is to be funded. They are spinning the story by saying that it'll cost each taxpayer $200 extra per year. We all belong to different tax brackets. There are many options to make it fair and to make it work.

The government could increase corporate taxes (which are the lowest in Canada). If they go up by a mere 1%, there will be enough to fund these improvements with extra to spare. This is to return to the education system what shouldn't have been taken away in the first place.

If you give students a shitty education in shitty conditions, you may be inhibiting the potential income that these kids in the future could earn with higher paying jobs. Even with the government spin of $200 extra annually, I doubt that would be throwing all these kids deep into debt when they're adults.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #653
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Take the Child Tax Credit away and increase income tax for people with kids in school and put that money towards the education system.

Last edited by ScizzMoney; 09-14-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: shitty grammar from my public school education
ScizzMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #654
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ok so, 2 weeks gone, judging by how little to no progress they have made, it's not likely they're gonna solve the problem in next 2 weeks.
They're gonna enter October!

Seems like one of the party has to lose.
There's no win-win situation.

This is getting entertaining to be honest, I'm gonna watch this shit live
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #655
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
^

I'd agree, I never thought when it started it would last this long I figured they would have called back the legislature early and legislated them back already. I did not believe they would come to a resolution on there own without legislation and it looks like it's headed that way, looks like it will end second week of October baring any miracles before then.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #656
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Stopped following this closely, but I'm just wondering why I don't see teachers on the corner while I drive to work in the morning anymore?

They used to be there everyday at the beginning of summer.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #657
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
they're at the schools i drive by in east van. even more so i think.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #658
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Stopped following this closely, but I'm just wondering why I don't see teachers on the corner while I drive to work in the morning anymore?

They used to be there everyday at the beginning of summer.
Once the regular school year was over teachers ain't hanging around when it's 30 deg out to picket.

Wouldn't doubt it's the same now or they do it in shifts. The highschool right next to my house rarely has more than 6-8 teachers there when there's probably 40+ who work there.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #659

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
ok so, 2 weeks gone, judging by how little to no progress they have made, it's not likely they're gonna solve the problem in next 2 weeks.
They're gonna enter October!

Seems like one of the party has to lose.
There's no win-win situation.

This is getting entertaining to be honest, I'm gonna watch this shit live
Is this going off on all your experience of negotiating? lol I wait for the day that you say something of value.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #660
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
I talked to a few teachers and they have no idea what is going on.
The BCTF doesn't tell them anything.

I am really curious to know what the BCTF wants and what the government is willing to give, but the teachers themselves have no idea.

If I were a teacher, I would get a new BCTF.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Once the regular school year was over teachers ain't hanging around when it's 30 deg out to picket.

Wouldn't doubt it's the same now or they do it in shifts. The highschool right next to my house rarely has more than 6-8 teachers there when there's probably 40+ who work there.
Well I know why they weren't there in the summer, but its september now, they should be back on the line now... The two schools I drive by on my way to work have nobody at them.

Also I really don't understand this "shift" Pickiting. When the Union responsible for the mine workers at the job site I was at conducted a full scale strike. All 250 employees scheduled to work would come and walk the line at their regular hours, that meant that night shift employees were there walking the line from 7PM, until 5am. They were there on weekends and holidays as well just like they would have been has they been working.

This strike just seems so fucking lazy. You want us to take you seriously, show some fucking solidarity and walk the walk.

Right now if I was the government I wouldn't be taking the union seriously either, I mean it looks like half the teachers would leave the union if they could just get back to work...

Spoiler!

This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
is that even an option or possible?

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 09-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #663
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
When I go to work in the morning, I pass through Vancouver, Burnaby, and New Westminster. Every school I pass by always has staff picketing outside. Every time I pass, I honk to give them my support.

For those who are not familiar with the extent to which the cost cutting measures are hurting our public education system, please take a look at this. I recently came across the following Twitter image from a Port Coquitlam principle:

The screen shot is an e-mail a Port Coquitlam principal has sent to the parents of his school explaining how resources have dwindled in the 12 years he has served at his school. His budget for learning resources (books, desks, and the like) has dropped from $181,000 (2002) to $23,000 (2014), an 88% drop over 12 years. The principal tells parents that teachers are working harder than ever to deliver the same quality of education their students rightfully deserve.

To those of you who run a business, how do you expect your business to operate with a 88% reduction in operating budget? To those of you who run your own household budgets, how do you provide for your family and raise your children if you face an 88% less money coming in?

If you think the BC government is doing the right thing today by refusing to cough up more education funding (in the name of "we can't afford it without raising taxes"), please continue to support them.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #664

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
^ prove that these are "facts"

Anyone (especially those with a vested interest in changing hearts and minds) can write an email.

Don't be so easily fooled
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #665

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I talked to a few teachers and they have no idea what is going on.
The BCTF doesn't tell them anything.

I am really curious to know what the BCTF wants and what the government is willing to give, but the teachers themselves have no idea.

Bctf does a crap job representing And supporting their members

Not saying the government is any better, but if I were a member of the bctf, I'd look for a new profession
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #666

was that a reasonable operating budget for the school in 2002? too much or too little?
was it adjusted to meet actual operating costs?
and what were their actual costs?
just asking as I have no idea.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
^ prove that these are "facts"

Anyone (especially those with a vested interest in changing hearts and minds) can write an email.

Don't be so easily fooled
You can certainly choose to be skeptical. As a matter of fact, you can continue to believe anything you want. But if you think school's operating budgets have not been continually cut back over the past decade or so under the BC Liberals' rule, you are simply refusing to accept the truth.

Support staff getting cut. School libraries opening only every other day (or less) instead of remaining open every single day. Class sizes getting larger. More special needs students getting dumped into regular classes. I don't need to tell you whether they are true facts or fabricated lies. You are free to believe whatever you want to believe.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
More special needs students getting dumped into regular classes.
We should also talk about how much higher the percentage of "special needs" students there are.

Now with ADHD, and all these other supposed forms of learning disabilities and impediments. It seems that half our fucking kids are retarded according to teachers.

The best is "Anxiety disorder" - im pretty sure that can just be renamed to "teenager"

This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #669

Quote:
You can certainly choose to be skeptical. As a matter of fact, you can continue to believe anything you want. But if you think school's operating budgets have not been continually cut back over the past decade or so under the BC Liberals' rule, you are simply refusing to accept the truth.

Support staff getting cut. School libraries opening only every other day (or less) instead of remaining open every single day. Class sizes getting larger. More special needs students getting dumped into regular classes. I don't need to tell you whether they are true facts or fabricated lies. You are free to believe whatever you want to believe.
I don't doubt some of those are in fact true, but you are merely providing rhetoric. Without proof, u are no better than someone that fabricates stories.

I don't like special needs kids not getting the help they need, nor that kids do not have everything they need to most effectively learn, but without independent findings, we're just throwing shit at one another.

Again, I do not support either side, but I will not blindly believe something just bc it is put infront of me, as you clearly are.

Informed decisions are the most valuable decisions.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #670

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:

He's not saying that the budgets have not been cut but we should treat all this public media non-sense as propaganda. You dropped numbers decreasing the budgets from $100,000's of thousands of dollars and he's saying let's look at real statistics rather than media props sent out to the public to gain support.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
I don't doubt some of those are in fact true, but you are merely providing rhetoric. Without proof, u are no better than someone that fabricates stories.

I don't like special needs kids not getting the help they need, nor that kids do not have everything they need to most effectively learn, but without independent findings, we're just throwing shit at one another.

Again, I do not support either side, but I will not blindly believe something just bc it is put infront of me, as you clearly are.

Informed decisions are the most valuable decisions.
In that case, I strongly recommend you to actually sit down and talk to a school administrator or front line teacher to see what kind of impacts the reduced education budget has done to the schools. I have done that myself; I have seen the impact the reduced budgets have caused, and I have very little reason to question the validity of those claims.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #672
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
He's not saying that the budgets have not been cut but we should treat all this public media non-sense as propaganda. You dropped numbers decreasing the budgets from $100,000's of thousands of dollars and he's saying let's look at real statistics rather than media props sent out to the public to gain support.
Don't be absurd, it's only the Government that releases partial or one sided biased statistics and numbers to further there agenda.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #673
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Who hands out those school budgets? the school district? If its the district, then that joke of budget for the school in Poco doesn't surprise me as its SD43. They aren't exactly the best when it comes with handling money.

SD43 audit released, but not the full version - News - Coquitlam Now
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #674

Quote:
In that case, I strongly recommend you to actually sit down and talk to a school administrator or front line teacher to see what kind of impacts the reduced education budget has done to the schools. I have done that myself; I have seen the impact the reduced budgets have caused, and I have very little reason to question the validity of those claims.
again you would be talking to someone who has a vested interest in the outcome of these negotiations. Looking at this from a factual and statistical standpoint is the only way to make sense of the situation.

If I was in negotiations with my employer (if I wasn't my own employer), I would never tell them "Oh no, my department has absolutely everything they need to be successful, extra money won't make us any better at all".

This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #675
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
Who hands out those school budgets? the school district? If its the district, then that joke of budget for the school in Poco doesn't surprise me as its SD43. They aren't exactly the best when it comes with handling money.

SD43 audit released, but not the full version - News - Coquitlam Now
The government gives districts money, and it's up to the districts to balance their budgets using the money coming from the government.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: