REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #851
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Lets do it.
I would like to shoot the 10/22 again. Without an optic it's out of commission.
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 12:28 AM   #852
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Finally getting into the game since getting my license a couple years ago. A complete noob but I'll learn.

Just purchased a rifle online so I guess I need to get a case for storage asap.

Few questions for starters.

Recommendations for rifle cases for storage/transport, I guess it'll be the same case. Specifically an AR 15 type rifle. Not looking to break the bank but willing to go up to $100. Quick search on Youtube seem to rave about the Pelican.

Recommendations on where to buy ammo, accessories, etc either online or local?

Any other starter pointers appreciated.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #853
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Well, you won't find a Pelican case for an AR remotely close to $100. With that budget, I would look at Wholesale Sports for variety. Some local shops may have a few hard cases to fit. I only use my hard cases when I go hunting, otherwise I just use a soft case the rest of the year while going to the range.

You can ask incubus here what they carry for AR accessories, I love going to his shop - International Shooting Supplies in Surrey. In Vancouver, I go to Italian Sporting Goods. Also, CanadaAmmo has some good deals on bulk ammo from time to time.

Have fun shooting.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 06:26 AM   #854
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
anyone have any interest in a Robinson Arms XCR in 223 with an Aimpoint Pro red dot?

runs flawless
what are you asking? Thinking about getting rid of my T97 with FTU and my AR15 to fund the XCR.
Eternal_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #855
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Rifle cases:
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...s=rifle%20case

I have a couple of the Plano ones with custom fitting foam. They've been great but again with the increase protection, you have an increased weight.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #856
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_SiR View Post
what are you asking? Thinking about getting rid of my T97 with FTU and my AR15 to fund the XCR.
Now that is a trade I could get behind.
The XCR is what you get when you mate an AK and an AR. Probably the best non-restricted rifle option out there.

very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I have a couple of the Plano ones with custom fitting foam. They've been great but again with the increase protection, you have an increased weight.
I have a couple of plano bags too, and they work well. For the bullpup, I needed to go with a tactical bag. It was the only option that had the height to cover my T97 and optic.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #857
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
pm sent
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #858
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Now that is a trade I could get behind.
The XCR is what you get when you mate an AK and an AR. Probably the best non-restricted rifle option out there.

very nice!

ya i like the fact you can easily swap barrels for different calibers for much less than the price of a new gun
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #859

Quote:
Rifle cases:
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...s=rifle%20case

Yea, looking at Plano right now as a good option for price. How do most of you guys store your restricted rifles? Throw them in one of these cases, lock them, and throw them in the closet? I know the "rules" but just curious how far some of you go to secure it.

I'll probably just throw it in a case, lock gun and case, and throw under the bed or in closet somewhere.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #860
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I keep my restricted firearms in a 14 gun safe. I suggest planning ahead and think about if there may be a chance you will possibly buy more firearms in the future. If you think this might me possible, mind as well buy a rifle safe/cabinet to keep your all firearms safe and organized.

For myself, I like to buy "higher-end" firearms and parts. I feel if you are going to put all that money into firearms, scopes, red dots, etc., mind as well spend a little extra money to protect everything. It doesn't make sense to store your valuables in a case where someone can easily pick it up and take out of your house. For myself, a firearm cabinet does not even cut it. A safe that is bolted to the ground is the only way to go if you have thousands of dollars put into your firearms. A safe is not something you buy, it's something you invest in.

Also. keep in mind that soft cases and foam (inside hard cases) also hold moisture and may not be the best for your firearms. That is why I always take them out of the case and put them back in the safe immediately after getting home from the range.
ODStryker00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODStryker00 View Post
I keep my restricted firearms in a 14 gun safe. I suggest planning ahead and think about if there may be a chance you will possibly buy more firearms in the future. If you think this might me possible, mind as well buy a rifle safe/cabinet to keep your all firearms safe and organized.

For myself, I like to buy "higher-end" firearms and parts. I feel if you are going to put all that money into firearms, scopes, red dots, etc., mind as well spend a little extra money to protect everything. It doesn't make sense to store your valuables in a case where someone can easily pick it up and take out of your house. For myself, a firearm cabinet does not even cut it. A safe that is bolted to the ground is the only way to go if you have thousands of dollars put into your firearms. A safe is not something you buy, it's something you invest in.

Also. keep in mind that soft cases and foam (inside hard cases) also hold moisture and may not be the best for your firearms. That is why I always take them out of the case and put them back in the safe immediately after getting home from the range.
This is all good advice. Get a safe - don't store your guns in cases due to moisture causing premature wear over the years.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #862

Quote:

Fair and valid points but I won't be going that far in terms of a safe for now. I have no idea how serious I'll be with this hobby right now and with a new baby, saving for a down payment I can't justify going crazy. That's why I went a budget economical route with a Norinco CQ-A as well to test the waters. No need spending $1k on a gun before other parts, case, etc etc only to find out meh not for me.

But if one day I get serious, definitely the full safe bolted to the ground and wall type deal.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #863
they call me the snowman

I don't mind a cabinet for storing ammo. But what I would really like to do is build a gun room/safe room. to me, that would be the absolute best option.

There are some really cool safes out there though. I spotted one in the US that mounts under your bed. It's a horizontal unit with a quick keyed lock. I don't trust biometric as the good stuff is really expensive. Nothing beats a good 4 button code for quick access.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #864
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

After I get my firearm licence, am I allowed to just buy whatever gun I want? Are there cross-boarder restrictions so should I just keep the purchases within Canada? Also, what are the regulations in terms of having the gun on you? Are you allowed to conceal-carry or is it just more for storing at home and shooting in more isolated areas? Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this!

Posted this here because I want to become a recreational shooter, just need more information first

Last edited by alwayslive; 05-13-2015 at 08:53 PM.
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #865
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslive View Post
After I get my firearm licence, am I allowed to just buy whatever gun I want? Are there cross-boarder restrictions so should I just keep the purchases within Canada? Also, what are the regulations in terms of having the gun on you? Are you allowed to conceal-carry or is it just more for storing at home and shooting in more isolated areas? Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this!

Posted this here because I want to become a recreational shooter, just need more information first
Have you visited the RCMP site for these questions? It has boat loads of good information on there.

To answer your questions:
1. After you get your license (assuming you get both your PAL and RPAL), you can buy both restricted and non-restricted guns. You cannot buy prohibited guns.

2. Yes. Importing guns is a pain and is best left to the professionals. If you really want to, there are companies that can do this for you. Note that it is dangerous territory to buy gun parts (scopes, stocks, whatever) in the states and trying to bring them back up. Depending on what it is, it might be a criminal act (both in Canada and in the US).

3. Read RCMP website about transportation.

4. No. Well. Maybe. Mainly No. Unless your job specifically requires it, you will never get a conceal to carry permit.

Again, have a read at the RCMP website about firearms. Everyone should read it and familiarize yourself with it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #866

I have the plano double scoped rifle case. It was awsome for the price, i think i bought it in the US for about $140CAD after exchange. Its not a pelican by any case but for that price it was great. Hard foam and the case latches has built in locks so that was a bonus. It does weight a bit empty so once loaded, it does weight a bit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, i do already have 5 pelican cases.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #867

Quote:

agreed. Get a good safe to protect your investment. Despite mine is not bolted down to the floor the thing weights like 500lbs empty. So when loaded with firearms and ammo, i give credit to whoever can move it.

One thing i hate is they advertize as a 14 gun safe but it really doesn't fit 14 very nicely. More like 10 if yours lucky. Bought a large safe thinking i'll never go above it but now its packed like tetris inside and have other in cases because they don't fit anymore.. I need to build a gun room.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #868
they call me the snowman

Quote:
One thing i hate is they advertize as a 14 gun safe but it really doesn't fit 14 very nicely. More like 10 if yours lucky.
I swear by these.

for the handguns.

and for the rifles.

(thanks to Gun-Safe Storage Solutions - The Alaska Life for the pics and write up)

I use these in my safe, and bought a bunch as gifts for my gun friends at Christmas. They open up a ton of space, plus the handguns look sick hanging off the end.

Gun Safe Accessories - gun racks for gun safes organize maximize space ? Gun Storage Solutions
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #869

yweah.. i use those for my handguns when i had a few, now i sold them and left with only 1 now. I've seent hose gun rods, been looking at them for a while.. its the damn large scopes that get in the way.. lol. Looking to sell my townhouse to move into a house, so i, just waiting to see how things pan out and maybe have a designated gun room
Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #870
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
One thing i hate is they advertize as a 14 gun safe but it really doesn't fit 14 very nicely. More like 10 if yours lucky. Bought a large safe thinking i'll never go above it but now its packed like tetris inside and have other in cases because they don't fit anymore.. I need to build a gun room.
A general rule is to buy a cabinet/safe that is advertised to hold double the amount of guns you have. I have a 14 gun safe but only actually only own 5. I think down the road I'm realistically only going to buy one more. There's no way a 14 gun safe will actually hold 14 guns. Maybe if they are skinny guns with no scope/red dot. An optic on a gun can easily take up 2-3 spots of a regular rifle with without any optics.

When I initially only had a couple of rifles, I bought a stack-on 10-gun cabinet, kept everything in there and used my ammo to "secure" the cabinet in place. Like some other people, now that I've upgraded to a larger safe, I've upgraded the cabinet to hold my ammunition. A 10 gun cabinet surprisingly holds a lot of ammo.
ODStryker00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #871

yeah.. i picked up a 16 gun safe... i think i maybe have 10 in there right now.. and thats playing tetris with them, luckly one has a folding stock and one is a bullpup so they are short and i can slip them in around the bottom of the safe. I'd like to get a bigger safe.. i keep some ammo in the safe, but most are in ammo cans under my work bench.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 PM   #872
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Canada does not mind as long as you have a license (pal) you can bring it back.

The problem is US has ITAR regulations, cant export anything out of us without proper papers and etc.

Now importing guns, as long as it isnt prohib(full auto,converted auto etc etc) and over the minimum barrel length for pistols (105mm) it can be done for the right price

irunguns offeres this service and have a office in Alberta.
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:28 AM   #873
CRS

Deal is so hot

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...tgun-16-gauge/

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 05-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #874

Quote:
but wth are you going to do with a single shot 16g? It's not a terrible gauge for ducks, but you want a pump 'cuz you're gonna miss sometime. I have a hard enough time finding the shot sizes I want with my 20g - which is highest I'd like to go for my bird shooting.

I saw Canadaammmo is also floggin their Norc 1911s for cheap this weekend.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #875
I don't get it

I think I remember the backpacker being $50 during christmas time. Could be wrong, but yeah, not much to do with a single shot.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote