REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 03-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #1226
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Since I hate waiting on the mail I called the BC CFO today, for some reason their phone line sounds screwed up but I was able to get my PAL number. Sorry to keep spamming the thread but I'm pretty excited.
Congrats! As you gain your PAL number, you will slowly and steadily lose your bank account numbers.
Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #1227
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
fuck, seems like costco no longer carries their gun safe.. i swear it was there under a month ago

Hypa, time to upgrade and sell me yours!

drove around today checking out everywhere i could think of/find for gun safes, fuck the selection is super limited.. best selection by far was at the Grandview Canadian tire, but the majority were $800+

If costco still sold theirs, id snap that one up, even with the mixed reviews.. best option seems to be this buck commander bow/gun cabinet, wholesale has it on for $249

the door feels flimsy as fuck but apparently it's decently rated.. hmm
Door IS crap, and the lock is only 4 pins with no security pins. I have raked these open in less than 10 seconds.

No need to damage the door when the locks are so junk you can open them with a bobby pin.

Invest in a good safe if you have some money into the guns.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #1228

It would seem that the wait was worth it; my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 ahowed up today after three weeks touring around the country with Canada Post. The dining room now smells like Ballistol and it is now sparkling clean. From the few dry fires, the trigger is CZ crisp and the set trigger is very light - we'll see how that works at the range.

Edit - tried it on my trigger scale and it has no creep and breaks at 2.5 lbs. The set trigger breaks at 1 lbs. This is going to be a fun shooter.

The walnut is naturally quite dark but the flash pics really show the grain.

Last edited by Zedbra; 03-04-2016 at 08:58 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2016, 12:25 AM   #1229
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Congrats! As you gain your PAL number, you will slowly and steadily lose your bank account numbers.
Oh I know, I've already picked out a Marlin XT-22 I'll be picking up once I get the card and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on a nice K31. While I've been waiting to find a K31 I keep seeing nice SKS' pop up and I'm half tempted to grab one. Then I came across pictures of one with an Archangel stock and a 5/30 mag and I get even more tempted and I don't even like shooting semi auto.

It's a (financially) dangerous game!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #1230

I love my K31s - I recommend the gun to anyone that likes to shoot a lot of rifle shooting.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #1231

If anyone knows of a source for a K31 let me know, the only place that I can find them in stock is Calgary Shooting Centre, but they're a bit pricier than I really want to spend.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #1232
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Zed just loves his K31 rifles. The bolt design is pretty sweet, I must say.
How about this bubba'd out K31? I'm not a big fan of bubba guns, but this one is really nice.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #1233

Quote:
If anyone knows of a source for a K31 let me know, the only place that I can find them in stock is Calgary Shooting Centre, but they're a bit pricier than I really want to spend.
Wholesale Sports may have a few remaining. They are worth their price, they sell for a lot more money in Europe.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Zed just loves his K31 rifles. The bolt design is pretty sweet, I must say.
How about this bubba'd out K31? I'm not a big fan of bubba guns, but this one is really nice.

That one is interesting, though I am a wood guy. The staged trigger on the K31 and the safety are awesome as well.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #1235
they call me the snowman

It really is a wild gun. So many technological advancements for a gun that has been around since before WW2. I can see why you like it so much.

That said, I spent about an hour after the outdoor show last night cleaning my 10/22, and adding some mods to my Charger pistol. I am finding that just like cars, I prefer to tinker with my guns over anything else. Sure, I love to shoot. But there is something to be said about taking a POS (like a t97) and making it into a reliable, fun gun to shoot.

If only I could reload with that much confidence.

I'm using Hodgdon Titegroups powder, and in my 38spl it says to use .27-.32 grains.
Problem is, my Lee autodisc goes as low as .30

So, I'm stuck starting out using a minimum of .30 for my reloads. I'm a little nervous because there isn't much room for adjustment using the titegroups. Should I go ahead and load them that close to max for my first reloads?

I'm using the roands in my S&W 357 revolver.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #1236

I use Titegroup for my .357 and I had issues with the Lee Auto Load disk not always dropping the powder for the low .38SPL loads. I was getting multiple squibs which can be very dangerous.

In the end, I have just decided to only load .357 cases with heavier loads. I can get better consistency with hot loads and it also does not give you any build-up in the cylinder that the .38 shorter cases will. I had to heavily hone one of my cylinders because the previous owner shot a lot of .38SPL loads and when I fired .357 I could not get some of the cases to eject easily.

So, if you want to use Titegroup and you want to use your LEE (I have the same set-up), then you are going to have to hand measure each load. I am almost at the point where I want to hand measure everything anyways. A few squibs will do that to you.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #1237

Just found a thread I started a while ago on CGN about this, hypa: CanadianGunNutz.com
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #1238
they call me the snowman

That's what I was afraid of. Using only 357 is okay with me, as you mentioned it doesn't have the same issue with fouling.

That said, I'm not interested in messing around when it comes to containing explosions. I'm going to get my hands on a scale so I can double check the actual weight of the rounds.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Using only 357 is okay with me, as you mentioned it doesn't have the same issue with fouling.

That said, I'm not interested in messing around when it comes to containing explosions. I'm going to get my hands on a scale so I can double check the actual weight of the rounds.
I find that the Auto Disk is fine for the heavier loads of .357 and I am not competing so absolute accuracy is not needed. All other loads, I weigh each powder load by hand on my digital scale. The beam is a pain in the butt.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #1240

This is the scale I use and it is surprisingly accurate, does not drift from zero, and remembers the last unit of measure you had it set on (grains). I bought two in case one was junk but it has been perfect now for over a year.

Mini Precision Digital Gram Jewelry Scale 2000G X 0 1G LCD Display FE BN | eBay
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #1241
they call me the snowman

Dude, good find!

Old 03-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #1242

Quote:
Wholesale Sports may have a few remaining. They are worth their price, they sell for a lot more money in Europe.
I called them last week but apparently they're sold out with no plans to bring any more in. Sucks cause they had them down to $280.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #1243

Quote:
I called them last week but apparently they're sold out with no plans to bring any more in. Sucks cause they had them down to $280.
Yeah, I bought my first K31 from them in Langley for $299 and then a case of G11 480 rounds for an additional $299. My last K31 and K11 I paid $300 each for - delivered. boo yeah.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #1244

Consider me very jealous, I saw a few in the $350-400 range on CGN when I joined a month and a half ago but now they all seem to be in the $450-600 range. If I could get one under $400 delivered I'd be happy, if I could get it for $300 I'd be insanely happy. In the meantime I'll just keep refreshing every place I know of that one could pop up on and hope I get lucky.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #1245
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,313 Times in 5,634 Posts
"Sold out and not getting any more" seems to be wholesales motto

how was the hunting show Hypa? i didnt end up going
Old 03-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #1246
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hand loaded my first 10 rounds today. 124gr RN with 3.8 grains of Titegroup. OAL: 1.15"
Nothing special, but it took me a while to adjust my press just right, and to measure each load. Got a few bs rounds, but it's all good.

going to load another ten in 3.6 and 4.0 grains tomorrow before I take them out to the range to test out.
ray666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #1247

Always start your seating die screwed up (tallest) all the way and then work your way down. When you feel it hit the bullet on the upstroke, start using half turns or quarter turns and measure the OAL after each pull.

Are you not crimping afterwards?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #1248

I forgot to mention - I checked out the firearms and hunting section in the Langley CT the other day and Matt there has done a nice job. They have a CZ Canadian on sale for $505 - that's the cheapest CZ I have seen in a long time. I wanted it, but I have already blown my budget for the year. Plus I love my open sights CZ Ultralux.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #1249
they call me the snowman

I just ordered that.
$12.61 cdn, to my door. Hope it comes soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
"how was the hunting show Hypa? i didnt end up going
It wasn't a bad show at all. Lots of fishing booths kept my brother happy, while I ogled the 1000cc/turbo Canam and polaris RZR. What a way to spend $28k!

I chatted with Ryan at the Int'l booth, and checked out the modular rifle from MDT at the Grouse River booth. Tried to make a deal with a guy on a GSG round drum too. He wanted $125 for it, and I asked if he could give me a better show price. He declined, so I walked away. I'm not paying sticker price for a magazine project that is going to eat up my time.

I'll order that shit online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray666 View Post
Hand loaded my first 10 rounds today. 124gr RN with 3.8 grains of Titegroup. OAL: 1.15"

I'm going to load another ten in 3.6 and 4.0 grains tomorrow before I take them out to the range to test out.
Ah, you're using jacketed projectiles. You can get away with a heavier load with the jacketed. Whereas the lead slugs that I'm using are limited to a lighter load. I have 148gr and 158gr lead, but it looks like I'll save my 148gr for when I get a different powder.

Let me know how it likes the 4 grain.

Quote:
Always start your seating die screwed up (tallest) all the way and then work your way down. When you feel it hit the bullet on the upstroke, start using half turns or quarter turns and measure the OAL after each pull.

Are you not crimping afterwards?
I am crimping after it's all done. It's a tight crimp, that's for sure. I took a little lead off my test rounds the other night.

As for the seating, I was pretty close to dead on with the arbitrary setting I started with, so it only took a minor change to get it right. Lucky me!

Quote:
I forgot to mention - I checked out the firearms and hunting section in the Langley CT the other day and Matt there has done a nice job.
Hopefully I'll get the chance to head there later today. Funds are a little short right now, but there's always a budget for window shopping.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #1250
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^^According to the Hodgdon website, the starting load for my bullet is 3.6 and maximum load is 4.1. Will most likely stick with 3.8 as I'm just shooting at paper.
ray666 is offline   Reply With Quote