REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 05-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #1426
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
No love for a .22?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #1427
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Guys, I have a dilemma here. I want a plinking gun/messing around gun, so I was thinking of a 12-gauge shotgun, but then I remembered about the SKS. What is your recommendation? I am thinking of a Winchester SXP, a regular SKS or a SKS with a ATI stock already attached.

Which is your choice and why?
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the SKS, but lots of others just love them. Ammo is cheap, the gun is cheap, and they're old school eastern block so reliability isn't an issue. I'm totally against going bubba on an old military firearm, but that said those who have the ATI and mag upgrades love them.

For my money, it's all about the 12 gauge. Grab yourself a short barrel 870 and a box of shells, and you can have the time of your life. Skeet shooting, duck hunting or just messing around, my 870 is a lot of fun.

Or if you're a baller, go with the KSG.

They're a little finicky, but once you break one in they're one of the most fun guns I've ever shot.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #1428
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
No love for a .22?
Already got one - Mossberg 702 Plinkster. It's fun, but I want something with more oomph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the SKS, but lots of others just love them. Ammo is cheap, the gun is cheap, and they're old school eastern block so reliability isn't an issue. I'm totally against going bubba on an old military firearm, but that said those who have the ATI and mag upgrades love them.

For my money, it's all about the 12 gauge. Grab yourself a short barrel 870 and a box of shells, and you can have the time of your life. Skeet shooting, duck hunting or just messing around, my 870 is a lot of fun.

They're a little finicky, but once you break one in they're one of the most fun guns I've ever shot.
Thanks for the shotgun pics... that 870 looks nice.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #1429
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Shotguns are fun if you have the space to make a mess, and then be prepared to pick it all up. The SKS is a lot of fun - they are cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. I love shooting my shotguns, but they usually only come out now for hunting and for trap shooting.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Shotguns are fun if you have the space to make a mess, and then be prepared to pick it all up. The SKS is a lot of fun - they are cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. I love shooting my shotguns, but they usually only come out now for hunting and for trap shooting.
Space isn't an issue, I live in Northern BC...

So I went to my local outdoor store and picked this up - Winchester SXP Trap 12 gauge, 30" barrel. I figured I'd support the local economy, and the local rod and gun club has trap days in the summer that I am thinking of going to.

fml
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #1431

Trap shooting is a lot of fun - I wish I could get out more to our weekend shoots.

I picked up my mail today and was happy to see a letter from Miramachi.....my registration for my dad's black powder pistol that I found showed up! Only took a month from start to finish, took one phone call and two emails to get this done - I'm half impressed. Hopefully I can get it out shooting on Monday.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #1432

Dropped by the local rod and gun to see the 1000-yard shoot. Those are some serious shooters and rifles!

fml
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #1433
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Or if you're a baller, go with the KSG.
my buddy had the tactical version, can't wait to shoot it. it feels awesome to hold
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #1434
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Dropped by the local rod and gun to see the 1000-yard shoot. Those are some serious shooters and rifles!
The 1000 yard guys are the shooter equivalent to our stance guys.
They take the envelope, and push it way further than you could ever imagine.

My cousin is a 1000 yard guy, and the amount of money he spent on his equipment could buy you a very nice BRZ. Then there's the time he spends honing his craft. He can't add 2+2, but send him on a 1000 yard range and he'll be able to tell you just how much deviation the bullet is going to experience based on the heat signature rising from the ground!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
my buddy had the tactical version, can't wait to shoot it. it feels awesome to hold
They're a really neat gun to shoot. A little finicky to start, but once you get a couple hundred down the pipe, they really smooth out nicely.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:26 AM   #1435
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

ksg seems to like high brass shells, there's another update due to them in the new batches so who knows if that issues been resolved. the problem I always hear of is people short stroke the action.

also I wouldn't use a vertical grip they tend to break I'd use a hand stop.
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #1436
they call me the snowman

I'm headed to the new Range in Langley in about half an hour.
Popped in last week and chatted with the guys. They're doing a soft open for paid members under the guise of testing the new target backers. I have my S&W 357, Jericho 9mm, and Ruger Charger along with some paper targets.

I'm excited as hell, as this should be a fun time. This Junuary weather is perfect for indoor shooting.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #1437
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Two people I knew took their deposits back, the "soft" opening was suppose to be back in like October no?

Anyways one guy who just took his deposit on membership back said they also upped the price on membership before even actually opening. Just seems shiesty all around and I'm sure in no time it will have a similar clientele than coquitlam etc
Old 06-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #1438
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Anyways one guy who just took his deposit on membership back said they also upped the price on membership before even actually opening.
More room for me, I guess.....

Frankly, I laugh when someone says "Dey took mah moneyz and runned!" Do you realize how much the investors have tied up in that range? Does your buddy know the beaurocratic bullshit that the guys had to go through to get it all finalized? From backstops being held back by the NSA, to dealing with the Liberal gov't. The same assholes who cry "out of my cold, dead hands" are also the same ones who refuse to support any new ranges.

While I'm not happy that they raised the price, it may be a good thing. The gun world is full of shitheads who have no issues dropping $3k on a rifle, but a couple hundred bucks to shoot in an indoor range is enough to make them cry foul on CGN. Maybe a higher price will keep at least a few clowns away. Let the cheapskates shoot outside.

Anyway, the range is awesome. Computer controlled, motorized target backers are a far cry from walking out in the mud in Abbotsford. I brought out a few of my restricteds, and had a great 2 hours with a buddy. 1" groups at 4m, and 2" groups at 6m with the Jericho and S&W. The Ruger was a little off, but still fun to shoot.

The good news is that because I supported the range while they were going through their tough times, I now have 18 months of range use for a grand total of $325.

*drops the mic
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #1439

glad to know its open, ive never been to big on indoor ranges just cause of noise but my hearings going anyways.

sale coming up end of the month
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #1440
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
glad to know its open, ive never been to big on indoor ranges just cause of noise but my hearings going anyways.

sale coming up end of the month

I need more ammo!

It was loud in there. Shooting the 357 was beastly. I can only imagine how loud a short barrel AR would sound in there.

Will you have any hearing protection on sale too?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #1441

Wear soft plugs and then muffs - you won't hear a thing. I bought some kinda muffs in Kelowna when I went out shooting with underscore - I'll have to see what they are called, but they worked so well that everything sounded 'odd' to me.

Hey hypa - can you bring guests? **hintmuthafuckinhint**
Old 06-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #1442
they call me the snowman

Good call Zed.
I usually have some soft plugs in my bag, but not this time. Aside from that, I was thinking of those electronic muffs that allow you to hear voices, but tune out the gunshots. They're probably expensive though, and that would cut into my ammo funds.

As for the range, you bet I can bring a guest!

Drop me a line and we can set something up for next week. I'm trying to do a weekly shoot in there, mostly to get better with my pistols.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #1443

I'm going to be traveling next week in Oregon, perhaps afterwards.

The electronic muffs are no good in covered areas as they do not always block out the echoes or other peoples' shots and/or echoes, so you may get blasted a lot more than you think.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #1444

Quote:
Good call Zed.
I usually have some soft plugs in my bag, but not this time. Aside from that, I was thinking of those electronic muffs that allow you to hear voices, but tune out the gunshots. They're probably expensive though, and that would cut into my ammo funds.

As for the range, you bet I can bring a guest!

Drop me a line and we can set something up for next week. I'm trying to do a weekly shoot in there, mostly to get better with my pistols.
You can get electronics muffs starting around $50 or so. They work well outdoors, I haven't had a chance to use them indoors so I don't know how well they work in such a situation.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #1445
they call me the snowman

Thank you for the info gentlemen. It looks like the low-tech way is the best way to protect what's left of my hearing.

Zed, I'll be here.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #1446

When we go to shoot, I will let you try my electronic muffs and you can decide for yourself.

Here are the cheapo muffs I bought in Kelowna and they work very well, they are the quietest muffs I have worn: http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...-Muff/p/89129B

Last edited by Zedbra; 06-16-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #1447
they call me the snowman

damn, those are cheap!
I was thinking of the Ultimate model, and they go for $150. That's part of the reason why I haven't bought them yet, is I can't justify the cost.
Ultimate Power Muff | Wholesale Sports

In a week, I'll be hanging out at the new Cabelas. Let's see what they have to offer on their opening day.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #1448

https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Game-.../dp/B003DWPAQ6

Got a deal for these when they were at closeout at London Drugs of all places. $44.99, electronic muffs, hard to beat!
fml
Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #1449

Quote:
damn, those are cheap!
I was thinking of the Ultimate model, and they go for $150. That's part of the reason why I haven't bought them yet, is I can't justify the cost.
Ultimate Power Muff | Wholesale Sports

In a week, I'll be hanging out at the new Cabelas. Let's see what they have to offer on their opening day.
Cheap but they work well. I have the Walker's Alpha electronic muffs and I hardly ever wear them anymore - usually only hunting on cold days as they keep my ears warm.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #1450

There should be a email out pm me if you need it.

Also need to hit the range more hoping saturday night.