REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 04-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #151
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
Side note: Incubus can your dad not pass on his prohib status onto you?
12.6 or 12.7?
unfortunately its after 1946, either i sell it to someone with a prohib status/collector status or inoperable to fire= heard of people keeping it having bolts or receivers modified

which is kinda dumb imo one day all those with prohib status will one day disappear

the firearms act needs to be rewritten and updated.

ars got restricted by class, aks aug spas uzis etc got prohibited yet 50bmg is legal
Advertisement
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #152
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
before we get into the whole home defense and everything it's illegal to point a gun at anyone, and if you end up shooting someone breaking in they probably have ever more rights then you, who knows I'd never wanna find out, it's kinda dumb how we don't have the right to bare arms like Americans.

I've heard a lot of shootings happen with 22 because projectile is harder to match to the barrel and etc.

this is all hearsay I'm no expert
Posted via RS Mobile
The Americans' second ammendment is an appropriation of logic that's relevant to an era that ended centuries ago. It's not relevant to contemporary pro-gun self-defense. Canadian laws aren't ideal, but they're a hell of a lot better than the Americans ammendment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
What's everyone's thoughts on a .22LR as home defense.

I know it's a very contentious issue, just wondering how you guys feel about it?

I've shot pretty much all handgun calibres. But I can only imagine my ears blowing out inside my house if I shot a 9mm.
To be honest. If you're in a position where you're preparing to shoot a person your worries should not be over a bit of ringing in your ears.
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The Americans' second ammendment is an appropriation of logic that's relevant to an era that ended centuries ago. It's not relevant to contemporary pro-gun self-defense. Canadian laws aren't ideal, but they're a hell of a lot better than the Americans ammendment.

To be honest. If you're in a position where you're preparing to shoot a person your worries should not be over a bit of ringing in your ears.
Posted via RS Mobile
you're right just wishful thinking,

but heres a picture taken from Canada's national firearm association

Old 04-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #154
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ I think "civilian for personal protection" in that letter means against wild life.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #155

you can always carry a shotgun which would be more effective against a bear
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #156
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Maybe I'm just tired but what's an ATC?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #157
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Maybe I'm just tired but what's an ATC?
Authorization to Carry
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #158

authorization to carry
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #159
HELP ME PLS!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_to_Carry
An Authorization to Carry [ATC] is a permit issued by the government of Canada under the Firearms Act. An ATC allows an individual to lawfully possess a restricted, or a specific class of, prohibited firearm that is loaded or possessed with readily accessible ammunition.

True incubus. I guess I was just speculating what specific reasons those ATCs were issued for.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...auvage-eng.htm
Old 04-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #160
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
you can always carry a shotgun which would be more effective against a bear
Posted via RS Mobile
I think DragonChi is correct that "civilian for personal protection" includes bears, moose, etc. The figure seems too high to be strictly protection against people.

A note on protection against bears. The stats suggests the effectiveness is 98% for spray, 84% for handguns, 76% for long guns. I linked to the article below. I personally always have spray and occasionally have a shotgun too.

Shoot or Spray: The Best Way to Stop a Charging Bear | Nature | OutsideOnline.com
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #161
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Agreed. I apologize for my provoking post. I wasn't up for taking any shit today.

Moving on... I just looked up the cz 858. It's now on the prohibited list

Wish I could've snagged one when they were available. Hopefully CZ will come out with a new model.
Well TECHNICALLY it's not really prohibited since the RCMP has ZERO jurisdiction when it comes to banning firearms...

The Govn't is dealing with the specific issue right now. Silly to know that the reason this gun is in the hot seat is because two shops that sold them were telling customers that the other shop's guns had prohibited items on it... Stupid shops lying to make a sale ended up affecting 9300 CZ owners. At $700 a pop that's 6.5 million dollars of tax payer money.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #162

Quote:
I think DragonChi is correct that "civilian for personal protection" includes bears, moose, etc. The figure seems too high to be strictly protection against people.

A note on protection against bears. The stats suggests the effectiveness is 98% for spray, 84% for handguns, 76% for long guns. I linked to the article below. I personally always have spray and occasionally have a shotgun too.

Shoot or Spray: The Best Way to Stop a Charging Bear | Nature | OutsideOnline.com

First shot with buck then two slugs. Then hope and pray you didn't miss....

Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #163
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
The BC forest service actually lays that out for their surveyors etc

The proper load for bear protection are alternating bird shot with slugs, figuring you blind a bear then put a slug in it
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #164
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:

I read the article and highly question the statistics presented. First, it openly states that the study is being widely circulated by people with an agenda: those "looking to reduce unnecessary bear killings". The article even admits the study does not take into consideration the circumstances of each bear encounter, and "No bear encounter is identical, and the number of variables, from type of terrain to equipment malfunction, vary significantly from incident to incident". It only accounts for situations in which each was used (spray, handguns, long guns), and the result of if the bear was turned away or not.

This is important because I imagine as a lethal option, a person would only employ a firearm against a bear when the bear presents itself aggressively and is likely a dangerous threat. I would argue against this study that people would be more likely to employ non-lethal bear spray against a bear who is not posing a threat or acting aggresively. Therefore this study is useless if it doesn't account for each specific situation.

The biggest concern is the data includes encounters with 357 bears, a mix of black, brown, and polar bears, but does not catagorize the data based on bear type or bear size/weight. I would like to know which method was most effective against the largest and most dangerous bears, data the study does not give us.

I cannot access the study directly without purchasing it, but the study abstract seems to indicate many of the bear encounters with firearms carriers involved the person also being in proximity to hunted/fished game. This could greatly influence a bear's behaviour compared to a person not near any open food.

Last edited by jlo mein; 04-25-2014 at 12:20 PM.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #165
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Spray requires less accuracy and skill than a gun though.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #166
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
for you guys that shoot 223... where and what type of round do you buy (grain, FMJ, hollow etc)? and prices?
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #167
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:

I know it's a very contentious issue, just wondering how you guys feel about it?
I think it would be very good due to low recoil and easy to get multiple shots off easily. But I feel 22lr firearms are less reliable. So not sure if you would want to use it if your life depended on it.
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
for you guys that shoot 223... where and what type of round do you buy (grain, FMJ, hollow etc)? and prices?

I shoot norinco surplus fmj it's great and paper can't tell the difference
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #169
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:

I've shot pretty much all handgun calibres. But I can only imagine my ears blowing out inside my house if I shot a 9mm.
A bit late to the party but:

but if you store your gun legally it's probably easier to grab a bat/blunt object and deal with the intruder ... that and you'd end up in prison. It sucks, but in Canada there's no castle laws
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #170
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
for the longest time the israeli mossad carried .22lr pistols, specifically the beretta 70/71's

with the right shot placement .22lr is just as lethal as any other calibre for a kill shot imo (something like cci mini mags would be a good choice).

for home defence though i'd be grabbing a pistol grip shotgun loaded with low recoil 00 buckshot. in a pistol i'd be looking for something in .40s&w or .357. m&p, glock, sig, etc.

i have a friend who worked in the field quite a bit for transport canada and his shotgun was loaded 00, slug, 00, slug, 00.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
A bit late to the party but:

How far will a .22 LR Kill? - YouTube

but if you store your gun legally it's probably easier to grab a bat/blunt object and deal with the intruder ... that and you'd end up in prison. It sucks, but in Canada there's no castle laws
You mean it's GOOD that there are no castle laws in Canada. Otherwise we would be USA North.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #172
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
I also shoot Norc surplus 55gr fmj for most things. Out of bolt gun and AR, but cant find any 69gr rounds locally for more long range targets.

On another note, just finished this last night.

Last edited by SolidPenguin; 04-26-2014 at 10:49 AM.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #173

nice build what is it?

how do you like the eotech? buis not cowitness?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #174
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Its funny, everyone, including me and my friends, always put some form of effectiveness of end of the world / zombies / home invasion into our decision making regarding firearms, camping gear, etc, as if it holds a legitimate value among categories like cost/reliability/performance/looks.

But talking about home defense is seriously ridiculous, imo. Everyone thinks they are a billy bad ass swat member but in the 0.00001% likelyhood you going to be home and targetted for a home invasion, you're more likely to piss your pants and cry in panic than be capable of tactically countering the home invasion.

Plus, good luck getting your keys which are probably in a room that your firearms aren't, unlocking your firearms, then getting your ammo, which isn't stored with the firearm, loading your firearm, and then confronting the home invaders (usually not 1), in less time than it takes them to run up the stairs and fuck your shit up.

This isn't america where you can have your handgun under your pillow ready to roll.

And IF you did use that weapon, you're spending your life in prison and ruining your family anyway NO MATTER WHAT so why even bother.

If you put "home defense" on your PAL application, they will deny you.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #175
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Anyone who buys a gun specifically for "home defense" is an idiot, I'm sorry.

I've been hunting and around guns all my life and to me it's scary when people who weren't raised with them start getting their PAL etc. I've found almost to a person people who get their licenses later in life have a level of respect that makes me not want to be anywhere near them with firearms.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: