REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 04-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #176
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
nice build what is it?

how do you like the eotech? buis not cowitness?
Posted via RS Mobile
Its just a Norc AR with a Troy VTAC Alpha Rail and some bits and pieces on it.

I like the Eotech cause this version takes AA's and I like the Ring/Dot reticle. Some people have issues with the battery life and may not like the reticle, but I also like the holographic aspect of it, just the way it is projected onto the glass. And crystal clear optics instead of a bit tinted like most other red dots.

BUIS do co witness with the eotech, but I just thought i'd try out the canted irons.
Advertisement
SolidPenguin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #177
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Its funny, everyone, including me and my friends, always put some form of effectiveness of end of the world / zombies / home invasion into our decision making regarding firearms, camping gear, etc, as if it holds a legitimate value among categories like cost/reliability/performance/looks.

But talking about home defense is seriously ridiculous, imo. Everyone thinks they are a billy bad ass swat member but in the 0.00001% likelyhood you going to be home and targetted for a home invasion, you're more likely to piss your pants and cry in panic than be capable of tactically countering the home invasion.

Plus, good luck getting your keys which are probably in a room that your firearms aren't, unlocking your firearms, then getting your ammo, which isn't stored with the firearm, loading your firearm, and then confronting the home invaders (usually not 1), in less time than it takes them to run up the stairs and fuck your shit up.

This isn't america where you can have your handgun under your pillow ready to roll.

And IF you did use that weapon, you're spending your life in prison and ruining your family anyway NO MATTER WHAT so why even bother.

If you put "home defense" on your PAL application, they will deny you.
Cool story bro
Posted via RS Mobile
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #178
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
It's different in Manila.

In the short time I've been here, 3 different neighbours got jacked at gun point, my cousin's store got robbed and a gun fire exchange outside my complex.

Guns are pretty much necessary tools out here in the shit.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #179
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Its funny, everyone, including me and my friends, always put some form of effectiveness of end of the world / zombies / home invasion into our decision making regarding firearms, camping gear, etc, as if it holds a legitimate value among categories like cost/reliability/performance/looks.

But talking about home defense is seriously ridiculous, imo. Everyone thinks they are a billy bad ass swat member but in the 0.00001% likelyhood you going to be home and targetted for a home invasion, you're more likely to piss your pants and cry in panic than be capable of tactically countering the home invasion.

Plus, good luck getting your keys which are probably in a room that your firearms aren't, unlocking your firearms, then getting your ammo, which isn't stored with the firearm, loading your firearm, and then confronting the home invaders (usually not 1), in less time than it takes them to run up the stairs and fuck your shit up.

This isn't america where you can have your handgun under your pillow ready to roll.

And IF you did use that weapon, you're spending your life in prison and ruining your family anyway NO MATTER WHAT so why even bother.

Don't get me wrong I agree with all your points...

but just for fun: lock the rooms door, guns(without a trigger lock) would be in a safe with a pin pad combo lock (no keys), magazines already loaded with ammo(not in the gun), so just open the safe grab the gun+magazines and you're ready to go

Once again agree completely that chances are you won't be able to get your gun, even if you do and shoot at intruders you will most likely get arrested/charged for doing so.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #180
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
It's different in Manila.

In the short time I've been here, 3 different neighbours got jacked at gun point, my cousin's store got robbed and a gun fire exchange outside my complex.

Guns are pretty much necessary tools out here in the shit.
pics?
Old 04-27-2014, 02:07 AM   #181
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:

what about this situation.

i know people who have had their houses broken into while they were there. they didn't have guns, but they ran out with bats or katanas (lol). this of course scared the perpetrator away.

but what if the perpetrator had a knife? wouldn't your gun be justified? you wouldn't need to shoot them. but it's a display of aggression. most people would just flee when they see a gun. and if they lunge at you with the knife, you have the right to blow them away. especially if you have a witness or if you have cuts to prove.

right?

i think most people don't follow lock laws 100%. lol most people i know don't. they can be locked and loaded in like 35 seconds or less.

like honestly, if someone broke in and they had a deadly weapon... i would have some hesitation shooting them, but if they were aggressive and didn't look like they'd back down, i would just blow em away. the prison time is worth the risk taken otherwise. it's just prison man. i'd rather be in prison than dead. lol.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #182

My safe is easily accessible by me, with the key/keypad. There are several loaded magazines in there(mainly cause Im lazy and dont want to empty them by hand after using them) and can grab something in there, lock and load it in under 15 seconds, if Im trying to.

I dont even have to actually use it to deter or drive someone that is trying to break into my home. Just having it in my hand pointing at them should be enough. Heck even a warning shot into the floor should be convincing enough. Hella loud in a confined space like that. If they are still very aggressive and are threatening myself or my family immediately with no signs of backing down, I will shoot if they attack. I will rather face the consequences than having not tried to protect my family.

The self defense laws in Canada has been amended and somewhat updated in recent years. Protecting yourself or your dwelling with force is legally allowed in Canada. It all depends on the use of force. If they are continually trying to attack/harm you, you have the right to defend yourself, with deadly force if need be.
Example: Guy breaks into your house, you knocked him out, call the cops, probably will not be charged with assault.

Example2: Guys breaks in, sees you, turns and runs away but you chase him down and hit him over the head with a bat. Then you would almost always be charged with something.

It is all about the context of what is happening at the time force was used, and why.

All in all, if someone broke into my house and charged at me/my family with a knife I would not hesitate to shoot. Every situation is different, and will be judged accordingly, but I wont go around just blasting rounds at whoever knocks on my door.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #183
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Again, everyone thinks they can handle the situation, yet when the situation arises, nearly everyone will be overwhelmed with panic and adrenalin and likely pee their pants instead of do anything.

Almost everyone says "If I was in this situation, and some guy did this, Id knock his ass out " but none of these people even make a peep when situations arise.

Last edited by RRxtar; 04-27-2014 at 04:02 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #184
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:

Even in america where you can keep your gun under the pillow, again assuming the very slim odds stack against you and you're the target of a home invasion (seriously, when the hell is the last time you heard of one that didn't involve gangbangers or drugs?), the bad guys always have a jump on you because they're the only ones who know what is going to happen. By the time you wake up and begin to process what in the fuck that noise was buddy is already up the stairs and in your face.

If you DO want some kind of home protection that won't get you in shit, take up golf (stay with me here). Keep a putter and a couple golf balls under the bed, if someone breaks in crack them with the putter and take out the golf balls. Say you couldn't sleep and were fiddling around putting when buddy broke in, you panicking and thwacked him with the club. That is easily believable but midnight target practice or baseball practice, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Anyone who buys a gun specifically for "home defense" is an idiot, I'm sorry.

I've been hunting and around guns all my life and to me it's scary when people who weren't raised with them start getting their PAL etc. I've found almost to a person people who get their licenses later in life have a level of respect that makes me not want to be anywhere near them with firearms.
Posted via RS Mobile
That sounds all well and good but if we weren't raised around guns we're what, not supposed to get a PAL?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #185
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Not at all, I encourage anyone interested to do so

However, IMO if you're new to firearms you should be even more attentive and careful, yet like I said in my experience the majority of people who get their PAL later in life seem to have a completely careless attitude once their card arrives
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #186
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I agree with you Hondaracer. There are a lot of guys I know who I won't go shooting with. I love those bros, but don't trust them around high powered weapons. Everyone needs to be cogniscant of the rules because with guns there are few second chances.

Also, why did a recreational shooter thread turn into 2 pages about home defense. We don't live in Manila people, and unless you have a massive grow op in your basement chances are no one is going to kick down your door for your crappy LCD tv.

I was able to find stats on crime in BC in 2012, and it was down to 77 incidents per 1000 people. That's equal to what crime was in the 70's. The truth is that you're more likely to shoot someone you love by accident, than a robber in your home. That is a fact, and been proven numerous times in the US and South Africa (cough -Pistoriuous- cough). So let's get this thread back on topic.

Anyway.....
I took out my T97 for some recreation shooting the other day, and had a pretty good time.

Brought my new target out.

It's AR500 steel plate mounted to a stand with high grade steel wire. I thought it should be strong enough to take some 5.56 rounds at 75 yards.

Then my buddy shot it with his 30-06.

I was able to get it back up and running and spent the rest of the day plinking the 6" target from a good distance. I love an audible target that is self resetting. Especially when you're looking at 25-30 minutes between green lights at the range on a busy day.

The iron sights are raw. Good for close range, but past 75 or so yards you better get a proper optic.

Had a couple issues with my feed ramp too.

It happened with the stock mag and the crappy Remington ammo. The chinese stuff worked well, and the high end American and Czech ammo was awesome. I loved the 10 round LAR mag too.

All in all, I'm happy with the T97. It's cheap to feed, didn't even put a dent in my budget, and is a lot of fun to shoot.

But it's a paper puncher at best. I definately wouldn't grab this as my only gun if I was in Grizzly territory.

Last edited by originalhypa; 04-28-2014 at 11:20 AM.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #187
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Anyone shoot up West Stave?

Mounties step up patrols at Stave Lake - Mission City Record
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #188
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
I sks all day every day
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #189
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

nice, t97 shoot nice but not a fan of the ergonomics and never am a fan of any guns with carry handles.

how did you get the steel? expensive?

i got one of these bad boys excited to shoot maybe Thursday

i was at poco sun got pretty busy thankfully i can shoot at the lower ranges now
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #190

Press Check Ventures just started orders for their next batch of PCV-50 mags in. Due to ship first or second week of may. Just ordered a couple myself

These are the .50 Beowulf magazines pinned to 5. Those that follow 5.56/.223 guns that take stanag mags know what im talking about
Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #191

^love them, 14 rounds zero problems with my ar
Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #192

anyone here reload?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #193
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Anyone shoot up West Stave?
I have some buddies that shoot up at Stave, and like the officer said, it's the wild, wild, west out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
I sks all day every day
Me too.
Let's be friends.

Quote:
nice, t97 shoot nice but not a fan of the ergonomics and never am a fan of any guns with carry handles.
I'm new to military gear, and am happy as hell with my T97. It is a chinese POS, I will agree. The other night I was having trouble with the sear assembly, only to find one of the undersized pins came out of the fllimsy pot metal sear carrier. That said, it does a lot of things very well. I'm not going to put any money into the T97. But it will be a fun shooter for a while.

I've actually been eyeing up AR's lately. Canadian or American AR's. No more Norc in my safe.

Quote:
how did you get the steel? expensive?
I got my steel from these guys in Ladner.

Search Results : Taccessories Canada, Tactical Hunting and Shooting Accessories, Grips, Stocks, Knives, Flashlights, Firearm Accessories

I'm into what I have above for about $140, including some extra steel for the legs. They tend to take a beating.

I'm going to grab another 8" soon. I really like the gongs, and a pair of them would allow for shooting at different distances without needing a green light, or a 300 yard bush walk.

Quote:
i got one of these bad boys excited to shoot maybe Thursday

GX2 Self-Healing Silhouette Targets - YouTube

i was at poco sun got pretty busy thankfully i can shoot at the lower ranges now
Poco is a gong show, especially on the weekends. I shoot in Abbotsford, and there was some serious gear there on Saturday. More Tavors than I could count, a bunch of AR's, and a Kriss Vector. Not to mention a ton of cool handguns, and what appeared to be a semi auto converted Mac 11 machine pistol.

Quote:
anyone here reload?
Posted via RS Mobile
Used to.
It was a lot of fun, and gave you the option to mix and match your load. We used to make 9mm rubber rounds that used the primer to fire a rubber cap. It was great for training, as we used to shoot in our basement during the winter.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #194

cool saw some gong setups around 160 I think I'll take a look later.

I kinda love Abby would be down to go just hit me up when you go, I also go with a buddy who a member there it's more calm and chill there, but as of now I don't mind poco since I can shoot at the lower ranges.

put a couple rounds through my Daniel defense you'll love it

that pistol uzi was probably a brs99 non restricted also it has a nice barrel and shroud
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #195
they call me the snowman

I'd love to shoot a Daniel Defense. With all my experience, it's a shame that I've never shot an AR chassis gun. They're the epitome of the black rifle, and there are so many different flavors these days. I will build an AR one day. But until then it would be cool to shoot one.

You're right about the BRS too. After googling up an image I found them for sale on CGN.

Not a bad way to spend $1699. It wasn't bad for accuracy, but the look and ergonomics of the gun was worth every penny.

Today would have been a great day for the range. Too bad I'm stuck at work.....

Do you shoot during the week?
I usually head out on a monday or wednesday morning, as the range is quiet. Plus if I get their quick enough, I can be the RO and call green lights as often as I want.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #196
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Anyone have experience with Xarms? I'm shooting a film in June and want to get my Firearms Safety Course. They seem decent. Would like my license too but don't have the time.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #197

everyone needs a ar, I try to go mon or Fri poco just started night hours so it'll be fun to see fireballs haha
Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #198
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Any recommendations on a cheap AR? under $1000. I don't need anything fancy just for recreational shooting. I've been eyeing the Domminian arms one for about $700.

My collection is:
Walther p99 9mm
Grizzly 12G
mossberg 715t
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #199

depends on how much youre really willing to spend? honestly ive owned a bushmaster and upgraded to a Daniel defense no regrets, but people who end up buying 1100 arent too bad lots of competition core15, m&p15, windham and olympic arms are doing really well

how do you like the walther? havent shot any of their pistols but i want too
Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #200
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
depends on how much youre really willing to spend? honestly ive owned a bushmaster and upgraded to a Daniel defense no regrets, but people who end up buying 1100 arent too bad lots of competition core15, m&p15, windham and olympic arms are doing really well

The Death Of The Norinco CQA 556 - Sorry Boys..It's Over - YouTube

how do you like the walther? havent shot any of their pistols but i want too
Awesome vid thanks.

P99 is a great gun, light weight, good feel to it. Always been my dream gun since I was a kid watching james bond
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote