REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #226
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
My first handgun was a 1911. Really easy to shoot, the .45 was not an issue at all. My norinco was crazy accurate for being so cheap. It'll easily out shoot my M&P9. For a first restricted, its not bad at all, its easy to shoot and simple to maintain. Not a lot of parts and you can completely take it apart and tinker with it and its a breeze to put back together.

The newer polymer guns you cant service completely on your own. The internals are just too complicated, especially within the slide itself like the striker mechanism.

I would definitely look at the M&P9 as a choice if you are considering a polymer gun. Almost half the price of both of those and just as reliable as the glock. But out of those two you listed, I'd go for the glock. Beretta doesnt fit as well into the hands (my hands. The grip is much wider/fatter) and the slide on the glock is just much smoother to work. I was also not a fan of the sights on the beretta.

But that being said, go to the store, hold both in your hands see which one is more comfortable. And maybe go to dvc and rent both and try them out.

alot of guys have problems with striker fired because they tend to nose dive them time to time, my opinion is pick up a mp9 range kit its a good price get extra mags and a speed loader imo probably the best deal out there for a first pistol.

i prefer the mp over the glock but either one is great it just comes down to personal preference, ruger sr9 are a little cheaper also.

not a fan of berettas
Advertisement
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #227
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Anyone know where I can get an uplula universal loader for about $30?

Similarly, are you allowed to bring back up accessories like this from the states?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #228

I wouldn't try bringing anything back firearm related lots of horror stories I hear about, people getting huge fines and not allowed to cross again. Canada doesn't mind but the USA does.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #229
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
i prefer the mp over the glock but either one is great it just comes down to personal preference, ruger sr9 are a little cheaper also.
My buddy has the M&P 9 and it's a great pistol to shoot around. The trigger has a good feel, and the bullets go where they're supposed to.

incubus, what are your thoughts on the jericho 941?
I've wanted one for a while now. I like the Israeli weapons, and I think in 9mm form a steel jericho would be a nice addition to the stable.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #230
CRS

Quote:
I wouldn't try bringing anything back firearm related lots of horror stories I hear about, people getting huge fines and not allowed to cross again. Canada doesn't mind but the USA does.
Just spoke to the CFO. As long as it isn't attached to the gun or making contact with the gun when it fires (as its intended purpose), it is fine.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #231

i'm not too familiar with jericho but i hear good things if someone wanted to avoid the polymer route and not pay the cz price and isnt interested in 1911. its has a good grip to it and is kinda on the heavy side my buddy owns one and loves it.

yeah crs i hear people buying cleaning accessories and what not in the states but I myself wouldnt buy anything firearms related across the border but thats just me.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #232
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Just spoke to the CFO. As long as it isn't attached to the gun or making contact with the gun when it fires (as its intended purpose), it is fine.
Canadian CFO says its fine to import into Canada...
Importing isn't the hard part.

It's a whole different ball game exporting parts/accessories out of the US under their export laws (Department of State) and things controlled by ITAR
Some things include:
-ammunition
-some scopes
-barrels/triggers(basic firearm parts)

Things not included off the top of my head:
-reloading equipment(presses, etc.)
-I believe grips might be okay as well

Don't know if people have experienced it but sometimes coming north there is a checkpoint of US CBP officers, they are essentially looking for undeclared currency, firearms being exported without the proper documentation.
With all that being said, I know people who bring through ammunition, scopes, 10 round magazines, stocks, etc. but one day when they hit that roadblock, they will regret it.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #233
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^To add to that, here is an extended list (by no means complete). Things you can bring back from America legally:

-reloading equipment (not consumables)
-targets
-cleaning kits
-carry cases/bags
-slings
-safes/lockers/trigger locks

Things that are illegal to export from America without permits:
-firearms and internal parts, including most parts that attach to a firearm
-mounts for optics, lights, slings
-optics
-magazines and magazine parts
-ammunition, including reloading components to make ammunition

If a US Federal agency catches you with any of those items, you could be imprisoned/fined and refused future entry into America.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #234

any hit the range lately?

hopefully head out soon need to buy more 9mm and 223/5.56
Old 06-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #235
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I'd like to head out before the weekend. Lets see if the CFO will give me my new gun.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #236
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting my PAL and I see that Reliable Gun is having a sale on a Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22 - has anyone used it before? The reviews say that it's a good basic .22 semi-auto rifle, and the price at $165 (down from $189.99) seems reasonable.

Also, they have Federal Target .22 Automatch .22LR 40gr Solid 325rd Pack @ $19.99 ammo for sale - decent price? Good ammo? Bad ammo?
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #237
CRS

There really is no such thing as bad ammo. If it makes a bang when you pull the trigger, it's good ammo.

Unless you get into competitive shooting where you care about the minor details. But at that point, you may be reloading so it won't matter.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #238
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
My .22 cz 455 is accurate with whatever I feed it. For the bulk of its life it was fed white box winchester specials from walmart.

For the longer ranges I use cci mini mags but for everyday plinking I use whatevers cheap and readily available.

Starting on a 22 is a great way to get into shooting and wont break the bank. I would suggest forking over a bit more for a bolt action 22 like the savage. Its alot more fun going through the motions over a semi auto plus you can feed it a variety of 22 ammo like the cb shorts and cci shotshells
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #239
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Anyone know where I can get an uplula universal loader for about $30?

Similarly, are you allowed to bring back up accessories like this from the states?
I got mine from Canadaammo.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #240

i got to shoot today shot my buddies mp9 5"core with a different trigger and ram. i was really impressed alot of people dislike the mp triger i didnt mind it but the travel and the reset was great. also shot his ppq navy which i couldnt shoot very well the very short rest and light trigger threw me off but its a great shooting gun. and off course his sig p226 just love this gun just saving up for mine. and off course his dd mk18 and my dd v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting my PAL and I see that Reliable Gun is having a sale on a Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22 - has anyone used it before? The reviews say that it's a good basic .22 semi-auto rifle, and the price at $165 (down from $189.99) seems reasonable.

Also, they have Federal Target .22 Automatch .22LR 40gr Solid 325rd Pack @ $19.99 ammo for sale - decent price? Good ammo? Bad ammo?

mossberg plinksters are alright but id pay a little extra and get a ruger 10/22 cause theres so much you can do with them kits access etc or even get a take down which i think is cool especially being non restricted id take it hiking and etc even comes in a little bag

i know what you mean by bad ammo for 22lr sometimes semis jam or dont feed properly. i think automatch is good for semi or federal champion alot of guys seem to like the bucket of bullets from remington. with semi on 22lr the key thing is to remember a good chunk of them like the 40 gr.

ammo for the most part is depending on the gun some guns cycle different grains or loads better. today at the range someone was shooting surplus 9mm barnaul which i love but that being said i know its a surplus round but ive shot good groups and im not a great pistol shot but he was having light primer strikes i think he had 2 or 3 in a box of 50.

but that is surplus ammo maybe ive just had good luck, ive shot norinco 223/556 for a year straight and had one light primer strike so im happy with my cheap ammo, all types of ammo do have their duds.

im shooting paper and not competing so ill shoot cheap stuff cause paper cant tell the difference, most the time if its a more expensive box of ammo it maybe the load, make or bullet type fmj,bthp,hp etc etc but ive seen some good hornady steel match which is a steal for 223 and 308.

blah blah blah heres the ruger take down

Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #241
CRS

Have to agree with incubus. The Ruger 10/22 is an amazing starter that I would recommend to anyone that is looking to get a taste of this hobby.

The great part about it is that you can learn and really hone in with your skills since the 10/22 is so forgiving.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #242
Survivor MOD

The 10/22 ruger is a better choice than the mossberg but I still think a bolt action 22 with irons is way more fun especially since they arent picky on ammo and you get to go through the motions rather than just squeezing off the trigger.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #243
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
The 10/22 ruger is a better choice than the mossberg but I still think a bolt action 22 with irons is way more fun especially since they arent picky on ammo and you get to go through the motions rather than just squeezing off the trigger.
I'm leaning this way - looking at a Savage .17HMR.

My friend just picked up the Mossberg 715T and it is fun and looks cool, but it gets old simply squeezing the trigger and keeping the distance under 50 yards for accuracy. That, and the 25 round mags just got put on Canada's prohibited list because Mossberg mad a hand gun that takes the same magazines.

Last edited by Zedbra; 06-13-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #244
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post

My friend just picked up the Mossberg 915T and it is fun and looks cool, but it gets old simply squeezing the trigger and keeping the distance under 50 yards for accuracy. That, and the 25 round mags just got put on Canada's prohibited list because Mossberg mad a hand gun that takes the same magazines.
The 10/22 owners have the same feels as the BX-25 magazines are banned as well... but any other brand of 25 round mags are not? lol

Starting off with a 22LR is also a good option if ammo price is an issue. 6-8cents/round vs 25+ cents/round
Old 06-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #245

pretty sure you mean mossberg 715 :P its just a plinkster in a bodykit kinda jammed alot when we shot my buddies.

browning a-bolt is really nice and ive seen a couple marlin stainless 22s but id probaby be happy with a takedown im overdue for a 22lr since ammo is getting pricey
Old 06-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #246

Quote:
pretty sure you mean mossberg 715 :P its just a plinkster in a bodykit kinda jammed alot when we shot my buddies.

browning a-bolt is really nice and ive seen a couple marlin stainless 22s but id probaby be happy with a takedown im overdue for a 22lr since ammo is getting pricey
Yeah, I fixed the post. You have to give them a quick clean after 100 rounds or they start to jam. Anyways, not my kinda thing after 100 rounds anyways.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #247
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
My .22 cz 455 is accurate with whatever I feed it. For the bulk of its life it was fed white box winchester specials from walmart.

For the longer ranges I use cci mini mags but for everyday plinking I use whatevers cheap and readily available.

Starting on a 22 is a great way to get into shooting and wont break the bank. I would suggest forking over a bit more for a bolt action 22 like the savage. Its alot more fun going through the motions over a semi auto plus you can feed it a variety of 22 ammo like the cb shorts and cci shotshells
I'll look at a bolt-action .22, but I kind of like semi-auto guns. Or I'll just buy 2 guns...
Quote:
mossberg plinksters are alright but id pay a little extra and get a ruger 10/22 cause theres so much you can do with them kits access etc or even get a take down which i think is cool especially being non restricted id take it hiking and etc even comes in a little bag

i know what you mean by bad ammo for 22lr sometimes semis jam or dont feed properly. i think automatch is good for semi or federal champion alot of guys seem to like the bucket of bullets from remington. with semi on 22lr the key thing is to remember a good chunk of them like the 40 gr.
The Ruger 10/22 is about twice the price of the Mossberg... that's the problem. I know you can customize them a lot, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that amount of money on a .22 - I'd rather get a bigger rifle and go hunting with it, especially where I am.

The take-down model is $399... yikes. That's a lot of $$ for a take-down .22 - I'd rather just bring a regular one, haha. I'm up near Smithers now, and bears are on the hiking trails - people take shotguns to walk their dogs sometimes. A .22 isn't going to scare them the way people in Lower Mainland do get scared...
Quote:
Have to agree with incubus. The Ruger 10/22 is an amazing starter that I would recommend to anyone that is looking to get a taste of this hobby.

The great part about it is that you can learn and really hone in with your skills since the 10/22 is so forgiving.
Quote:
Would you say that is it worth the price premium over the Mossberg or a Marlin? .22s are great for training, I agree (I learnt to shoot on a .22 Anschutz/.22 conversion Enfield, but I don't think it necessarily has to be a certain gun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtrackz View Post
Starting off with a 22LR is also a good option if ammo price is an issue. 6-8cents/round vs 25+ cents/round
Agreed, which is why I'm starting with a .22 rifle.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #248
Survivor MOD

Quote:
I'll look at a bolt-action .22, but I kind of like semi-auto guns. Or I'll just buy 2 guns...
trust me on this, a semi-22lr gets real boring real fast.

Quote:
The Ruger 10/22 is about twice the price of the Mossberg... that's the problem. I know you can customize them a lot, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that amount of money on a .22 - I'd rather get a bigger rifle and go hunting with it, especially where I am.
you will not find a quality large calibre rifle for 399.99. my CZ bolt action 22 was in the 500 range after taxes and i dont regret spending a single dollar. i highly recommend going with the ruger over the other brands if you wanna go semi. again make consideration for a bolt action 22.

Quote:
Would you say that is it worth the price premium over the Mossberg or a Marlin? .22s are great for training, I agree (I learnt to shoot on a .22 Anschutz/.22 conversion Enfield, but I don't think it necessarily has to be a certain gun...
sounds like you were in cadets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
.17hmr is an excellent round. iirc it is a good varmint calibre and offers better penetration over a standard .22lr

i've heard of people taking coyotes with them with no issue.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #249
Survivor MOD

anyone know where i can get some hard cast 300+gr 44 mag?

preferably in JSP or LBP/LFT or even SWC (240gr)????

interested in some +P rounds as well.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #250

I've heard they are a great coyote round. Now you have me checking out those Browning T-bolts - looks like a perfect varmint gun option.