REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 10-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #476
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Anyone been shooting lately? I havent found time due to mid terms

nice ive always wanted to shoot a xdm. did you get the one exact same as pictured? the 2 tone xdms look great

ive never been a fan of grip safety its just a cosmetic thing and it gets covered but thats just me nit picking haha.

with my v7 gone at least I got a p226 german made from a friend

Advertisement
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #477
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
Anyone been shooting lately? I havent found time due to mid terms

nice ive always wanted to shoot a xdm. did you get the one exact same as pictured? the 2 tone xdms look great

ive never been a fan of grip safety its just a cosmetic thing and it gets covered but thats just me nit picking haha.

with my v7 gone at least I got a p226 german made from a friend

Very nice! I love the way the 226 feels and operates. Still my only one left that has survived all my safe purges
Eternal_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #478
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Well, I passed my Restricted course today and now I just need to send in my paperwork. On another note, I received some pics from one of the guns I had sent to CerakoteBC and it turned out awesome. I can't recommend Frank from CerakoteBC enough - he spent hours on both my guns and he is a perfectionist - so know that you are going to get your money's worth.

I had taken a few guns from a friend of mine to clean them up as he had his basement flood and then he left his guns in a humid area, so they were covered in rust and the wooden stock had the imprint pattern of the gun bag in the stain and was in rough shape.

I told him I would pay to have his guns restored (he is the Godfather to my kids and lets me use his shop to work on my car and truck) but that I got to choose how they would be done. I had an idea for his Savage 24 and below are the before and after pics. I did this with the hopes he may sell it to me for my kids and wife, which he probably will, but even if not I think it turned out even better than I imagined.

Before:

After- colours are Crimson Red and Satin Aluminium with a little Graphite Black on the sights:

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #479
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
nice score.

you have no idea what a gem you have there lol. savage model 24's usually go for between $500-1000+ on the used/collectors market.

too bad it got rusted so heavily, woulda been nice to see it in its original dressing. the refinish still looks nice though, i like how it still has a flavor of the historical in the color choices
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #480

Picked up the guns from Frank today - thank you for meeting me on your lunch break. Took them to my friend and he is blown away with how nice it turned out. He won't sell it to me, but I can borrow it any time I want. I also now have pics of his Winchester Defender completed - the Graphite Black looks great. Once again, another great job from CerakoteBC!

Before:

After - Cerakote colour is Graphite Black. I added: an ATI folding stock. ATI shell holder, and a fibre optic bead

Old 10-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #481
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Wow! Not only is that stock amazing, but what do you call that style of front sight? Looks fantastic
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #482

no problem great meeting you.

shotgun looks great, its a fiber optic/hi viz front sight
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #483

^ I listed there that the front sight is a fibre optic sight that I added. It was good meeting you, too, Ryan. Wish I had more time to talk
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #484
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Zed, you're kicking it up 10 notches these days. Frank's Defender looks great, I love the FO sight.

Incubus, do you have the FO sight for the Jericho in stock?

And powder....... Where does one get powder these days?
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #485
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
nice I've always wanted to shoot a xdm. did you get the one exact same as pictured? the 2 tone xdms look great

I've never been a fan of grip safety its just a cosmetic thing and it gets covered but that's just me nit picking haha.
The XDM shoots great. I have been a Glock guy for years. I have owned over 20 of them in all sorts of flavours but I wanted to try something new. The XDM is a very nice shooting gun. For me, I find it fits better than the Glock did and that makes for a better shot.
Mine is just like pictured, 45acp, 5.25" competition barrel and slide, competition sights and all black.

The grip safety was never an issue for me. Some people switch them out for an aftermarket one that's metal to be closer to a 1911 style safety. If you want to give it a try some time just let me know when your hitting the range and I can bring it by.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #486

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
was driving around with my dad today and we happened to pass reliable gun. he glances over at me and asks if i wanna go in and look around since he hasn't been there for years.

so we go in, i see some sks's that are beautifully polished up for 175$
couldn't resist.

beautiful rifle, not a scratch on it, stock has is nice and dark - no fading anywhere.

rifle, sling, 100rounds, it came with its own cleaning kit, bayonet looks brand new, all for 250$
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #487
I don't get it

Just purchased a Sig P226 Tacops...can't wait to fire it.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #488

clever super target extra hard shot

anyone ever use these?

ive a 870 wingmaster - full choke, that was from the 70's (my dads old shotgun he gave me)

it can only take lead shot, but i cant find anywhere about the shells i posted in the link.

anyone know if its steel or lead? ive tried reading and the "extra hard shot" from what i THINK i understand is that its lead thats got a little something extra in it so its harder than regular lead shot.

anyone able to set me on the right path here? i ask because ive been given half a case and i dont want to be using them if i shouldn't

--edit--

just read every page of this thread just now

for the shotgun shells, as for half a case, its about 8 full boxes worth.

dont know if i'll get failed for this for asking, but oh well. on the very first page hondaracer asked if people could pm him if there were any places in the lower mainland to target/trap shoot out in the bush other than stave or sylvester road (soundy posted a link on page 8 saying there is a firearms discharge bylaw, but ive gone many times in the past and have had no problems, even with the rcmp suv drive right past me, and i do clean up after myself. a fan rake + a flat head shovel and bag to pick up my empty casings. i just want to play it safe.), where could i go? anyone have some hidden gem areas they could share?

Last edited by stewie; 10-12-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #489

we sell plenty of that stewie for the most part im pretty sure target load are led.

any preference on sights for your jericho? do you want night or high viz/ fiber optic? ill call up some places tue

post pictures of your new 226
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #490
Survivor MOD

might be interested in a box or two of some 3.5" slugs for my benelli supernova if you have those lying around.

also looking for some blaser bulk .22
Old 10-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #491

Stewie - Myself and several others at our trap tournament are having issues with the newer Clever not wanting to extract properly in a pump or break action; its as if they changed the case somehow as I never had issues with it in the past. Gave me a good excuse to buy a semi-auto.

As for giving up the goods on secret trap places - good luck. No one wants to share because we all see the Little Beirut pictures of areas that people do know about on the internet.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Stewie - Myself and several others at our trap tournament are having issues with the newer Clever not wanting to extract properly in a pump or break action; its as if they changed the case somehow as I never had issues with it in the past. Gave me a good excuse to buy a semi-auto.

As for giving up the goods on secret trap places - good luck. No one wants to share because we all see the Little Beirut pictures of areas that people do know about on the internet.

it would be nice to do trap, but i do more target shooting than anything

if i really need to, i go deeeeeeeeeep into stave lake hahaha. normally its about 19km's in where i shoot, which is about 10 minutes past sayres lake, on the left hand side of the road theres a trail that branches off and about 50 feet after that it takes a left turn and its nothing but cut down trees.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #493

incubus - thanks again for picking out that great SKS for me. It's going to sit in the cosmo until my boys are old enough to handle it, then I can give one to each son.

Heading up to the Cariboo on Friday morning for moose and deer hunting. I'll be unplugged and hunting/camping deep in the woods for 10 days - I can't wait for some silence.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #494
Survivor MOD

lucky sob.

have a good hunt and keep your head down.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
incubus - thanks again for picking out that great SKS for me. It's going to sit in the cosmo until my boys are old enough to handle it, then I can give one to each son.

Heading up to the Cariboo on Friday morning for moose and deer hunting. I'll be unplugged and hunting/camping deep in the woods for 10 days - I can't wait for some silence.
good luck zedbra!

question though since i've never hunted - if you bag yourself a moose (not sure what average size is), how long would it last a family of 4??? always wondered how long the meat would last. would it go all winter? or maybe 2-3 months max?

also, if anyone can confirm or shed some light on this for me - as i was asking about shooting spots...i was reading some other forums and ran across one on bc4x4. as i recently found out from this thread from a link that was posted, mission has a firearms discharge ban. normally i would go to stave lake, but thats still part of mission, and i know the rcmp do patrols and road side checks up there etc. but, from what they were saying was that after the 17km marker just past sayres lake, you're no longer in the district of mission but on crown land and are able to shoot (there is a massive section to the left of the road past sayres. its nothing but chopped down trees with the back ground heavily dense trees, and pointed in the opposite direction of any lake. can someone tell me if I'm reading this map right or if i am wrong, could you describe how and what i'm looking at wrong. thanks!

legal firearms discharge areas

thanks in advance!!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #496
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
it depends on the moose, but the butchered weight (bone out) is roughly 30-35% of the live weight, which works out to 400-500lbs worth of meat.

on a deer, the butchered weight (bone out) is roughly 40-45% of the live weight, but the weight of the bones, hide, etc. on a moose is greater so you get a lower return.

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-14-2014 at 10:44 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #497

^ I didn't get the LEH for a bull moose, so it'll be a smaller mule. Probably 150-200lbs when it's all said and done.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #498

Oooooh - my custom stock that I ordered a long time ago for a 10/22 build finally showed up. I almost forgot about it, tbh. No time to admire it now, I'm packing up my things and heading out tomorrow - can't wait.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #499
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Got a little two point on Saturday north of kamloops, saw like fucking 80 does, 4-5 bucks but this one was the only one we had a shot at

Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #500

happy Fri, my Thursday but at least midterms are over

of prohibited didn't exist what would everyone's pick be? pistol and rifle etc?