REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #176
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I don't understand why they would block the sale of the team. They are forcing him out, if he has a buyer let him sell the team and move on. If they do block the sale and it ends up selling for less he's going to sue for damages guaranteed and the courts don't have to abide by the NBA's rules they'll use common sense and the NBA will more likely then not be cutting him, or at least his estate (he'll be dead before it's settled) a huge cheque.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #177
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I don't understand why they would block the sale of the team. They are forcing him out, if he has a buyer let him sell the team and move on. If they do block the sale and it ends up selling for less he's going to sue for damages guaranteed and the courts don't have to abide by the NBA's rules they'll use common sense and the NBA will more likely then not be cutting him, or at least his estate (he'll be dead before it's settled) a huge cheque.
NBA is afraid Ballmer will want to move the team to Seattle.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #178
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Clippers were estimated to be worth 800m-1b when news first hit about Sterling being forced out of ownership. If Ballmer is looking to buy the team for 2x the amount then you better believe Sterling is looking to sell ASAP
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #179
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I don't understand why they would block the sale of the team.
because the people that point fingers at racists are equally as extreme on the opposite end of the stick.

ironically both sides just don't see they're the same. lol.

kinda like punishing murderers by killing them.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #180
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
NBA is afraid Ballmer will want to move the team to Seattle.
That pretty much devalues the team if he moves it from LA to Seattle. He's willing to pay $2b because the team is in LA.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #181
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
because the people that point fingers at racists are equally as extreme on the opposite end of the stick.

ironically both sides just don't see they're the same. lol.

kinda like punishing murderers by killing them.
I'm not sure what the opposite of a racist is, but I don't think it's as bad?

Someone who raped/murdered someone (without any reasonable doubt) should receive the same fate, but that is obviously where you and I differ.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #182
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I'm not sure what the opposite of a racist is, but I don't think it's as bad?

Someone who raped/murdered someone (without any reasonable doubt) should receive the same fate, but that is obviously where you and I differ.
an eye for an eye only creates demons.

you can take my eyes from me... but i only have two to take... take them. i can take a lot more before you get to me.

I can do more damage, than you can ever get retribution.

that's not a game we wanna play, trust me.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #183
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:

you can take my eyes from me... but i only have two to take... take them. i can take a lot more before you get to me.

Truth.

An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

What's killing a murderer gonna solve? Right, nothing.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #184
RS controls my life!

I hope Balmer brings the team to Seattle.

That would benefit all us basketball fans in van!
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #185

Quote:

Emotional quote for sure, but realistically I don't see how it really applies. If John kills my sister and John dies how can John cause anymore damage? Unless you feel the psychological stress will affect me some how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
Truth.

An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

What's killing a murderer gonna solve? Right, nothing.
Killing a murderer can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. To say it solves nothing is a stretch.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #186

NBA, STERLING TRUST SETTLE ON $2B SALE OF CLIPPERS TO BALLMER

Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn....

NBA, Sterling Trust settle on $2B sale of Clippers to Ballmer

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- The NBA has called off a hearing to oust embattled Los Angeles Clippers co-owner Donald Sterling in advance of a vote on a potentially record-breaking deal negotiated by his wife Shelly Sterling to sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2 billion.

Shelly Sterling negotiated the deal despite objections expressed through her estranged husband Donald Sterling's attorneys. She said in a statement late Thursday that she agreed to sell the team to Ballmer "under her authority as the sole trustee of The Sterling Family Trust, which owns the Clippers."

The NBA said in a statement Friday that the league, Shelly Sterling and The Sterling Family Trust had "resolved their dispute over the ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers."

"Under the agreement, the Clippers will be sold to Steve Ballmer, pending approval by the NBA Board of Governors, and the NBA will withdraw its pending charge to terminate the Sterlings' ownership of the team," it said.

But Donald Sterling is still fighting, filing suit in federal court against the NBA and Commissioner Adam Silver and asking for damages in excess of $1 billion.

The suit was filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles. It alleges that the league violated Sterling's constitutional rights by relying on information from an "illegal" recording that publicized racist remarks he made to a girlfriend.

It also says the league committed a breach of contract by fining Sterling $2.5 million and violated antitrust laws by forcing a sale.

"Mr. Sterling's lawsuit is predictable, but entirely baseless," NBA general counsel Rick Buchanan said. "Among other infirmities, there was no "forced sale" of his team by the NBA - which means his antitrust and conversion claims are completely invalid. Since it was his wife Shelly Sterling, and not the NBA, that has entered into an agreement to sell the Clippers, Mr. Sterling is complaining about a set of facts that doesn't even exist."

The NBA had been prepared for a lawsuit, saying in its statement that "Mrs. Sterling and the Trust also agreed not to sue the NBA and to indemnify the NBA against lawsuits from others, including from Donald Sterling."

The ownership hearing had been scheduled for next Tuesday after the NBA charged Sterling with damaging the league with his racist comments that were recorded and released. A three-quarters vote of owners to support the charge would have terminated the Sterlings' ownership, and the league would have sold the team.

Shelly Sterling reached an agreement to sell the team on Thursday night.

Donald Sterling was stripped of his ability to act as a trustee of the family's fortunes, including the Clippers, after two neurologists determined he was suffering from dementia earlier this month, according to a person close to the Sterling family.

The individual, who is familiar with the trust and the medical evaluations but wasn't authorized to speak publicly, said Sterling was deemed "mentally incapacitated" according to the trust's conditions because he showed "an inability to conduct business affairs in a reasonable and normal manner."

Donald Sterling made voluntary visits to two prominent neurologists who conducted extensive tests, including brain scans, earlier this month, the person said. Though Donald Sterling is no longer a co-trustee of The Sterling Family Trust, he still retains his 50 per cent ownership and still receives proceeds from the sale, the individual said.

"There is specific language and there are protocols about what to do, and steps in order to get a sole trustee position and that's what took place in the last couple of days," the individual said.

Sterling can try to reinstate his trusteeship by appealing to the California Probate Court.

Donald Sterling's attorneys contend, however, that as a co-owner he must also give his consent for the deal to go through. They say he won't be giving it. His attorney, Bobby Samini, said "the assertion that Donald Sterling lacks mental capacity is absurd" and that he'll fight to not sell given the NBA's conduct.

But the league said the sale agreement is binding and is going ahead with the approval process for Ballmer.

Ballmer said in a statement that he is honoured to have his name submitted to the NBA for approval and thanked the league for working collaboratively with him throughout the process.

Shelly Sterling negotiated the sale after Donald Sterling's remarks came to light.

Silver banned Sterling for life and fined him $2.5 million, and said he would urge owners to force a sale, unless the Sterlings chose to sell first. And the price Ballmer paid was stunning.

"Obviously, I saw $2 billion. That gave me a reaction," said Miami Heat star LeBron James, who had been vocal in calling for both Sterlings to be out of the league. "That was a reaction for sure. But as far as everything else, I haven't quite dived into it. ... Any time a 'B' goes after a number, man, you already know that you're talking about some real money."

This is not Ballmer's first foray into potential NBA ownership. Ballmer and investor Chris Hansen headed a group that agreed to a deal to buy the Kings from the Maloof family in January 2013 with the intention of moving the team to Seattle, where the SuperSonics played until 2008.

But Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson lobbied the NBA for time to put together a bid to keep the team in California, and though the Ballmer-Hansen group later increased its offer, owners voted to deny the bid for relocation and the Kings were sold to Ranadive.

Johnson, who has been advising the NBA Players Association in the wake of Sterling's comments, praised Ballmer in a series of tweets Friday night.

"When the Clips play next season, players will be proud to wear the logo on their chest & fans will be proud to cheer for their hometown team," Johnson wrote.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #187
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
2B lol, everything I said would happen did. The racist just doubled his teams value and is laughing all the way to the bank
Old 05-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #188

^I think someone like Sterling would rather own the Clippers than have more money.
It's not like he can't already buy whatever he wanted.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #189

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/09/us/sterling-lawsuit-clippers-sale/index.html
Quote:
The deal is off. The suit is on.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling is withdrawing his support for the sale of his team, and is asking his lawyer to go ahead with a $1 billion lawsuit against the NBA, according to multiple media reports.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #190
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Emotional quote for sure, but realistically I don't see how it really applies. If John kills my sister and John dies how can John cause anymore damage? Unless you feel the psychological stress will affect me some how?

Killing a murderer can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. To say it solves nothing is a stretch.
perpetuating that type of thinking... it's more than animalistic... it's barbaric. even animals don't chase down and execute their own kind out of spite.

in your particular situation, it may end there if john has no loved ones that avenge him.

in a lot of other situations john's loved ones will avenge him.

killing a killer may solve some absurd internal conflict which doesn't apply to the outside world.

In the larger picture, killing the killer means more people losing than winning.

If I took every person that has wronged, or been accused to have wronged, and has been executed officially or privately (or attempted), in all of history of man in the past, present and future... I can guarantee you, there has been more harm done, than healing... to the overall human race and especially "innocents".

feelings can be resolved internally. Your reliance on your feelings being dictated by the outside world situations that don't physically directly connect to you is very concerning.

Do you have free will? or is the situation controlling you?