REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   canker sores (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694896-canker-sores.html)

alex.w *// 05-01-2014 09:38 PM

canker sores

I have these things probably once every month.

Most recent one i'm having now seems bigger than my past. It started out small, then every morning I check the mirror it seems to get bigger and bigger

I've tried nightly salt water rinses, using kanka, but it doesn't help.

Any other options out there that works? possibly to prevent it as well

Alby 05-01-2014 09:55 PM

i've been told by my parents as i was growing up that i get these things cuz im eating too much crap food IE mcdicks, chips, etc.

320icar 05-01-2014 10:14 PM

how is your general health? eating habits and physical activity? general oral health?

canker sores for me only ever happen about two days before i get a bad cold. they only really attack if your immune system crashes. ive heard of using ground watermelon seed on the sores? but maybe a chinese person can chime in.

boatcaptain 05-01-2014 10:51 PM

i suggest drinking more water and sleep more
Posted via RS Mobile

kross9 05-01-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Causes: Individuals vary in their observed triggers, which may include nutritional deficiencies, local trauma, stress, hormonal influences, allergies, a genetic predisposition and other factors.
Wiki

As to aid getting rid of them, dont eat spicy, acidic or salty foods. and ughhh to prevent them good luck!

Kisame 05-01-2014 11:36 PM

What helps for me, whenever i get a canker sore, is to put salt directly on the sore rather than do salt water rinses. Yes, its very painful, but i find that it provides good relief after the initial sting and helps to heal faster.

j.f0ng 05-01-2014 11:46 PM

For me, these fuckers usually appear when my sleeping pattern and diet goes downhill (ie. midterms/finals season). The worst experience I had with canker sores was this past March, when a new one would appear right after one goes away. This went on for almost an entire month. :fuuuuu:

They also tend to appear if I cut up or accidentally bite down on the inside of my lip. I'm not sure of any "proper" treatment methods, but just maintaining my overall general health (balanced diet and getting enough sleep) worked for me.

Xu.Vi 05-02-2014 02:39 AM

I always get them during finals season as well. What I do is keep myself hydrated throughout the day and not touch it with my tongue as it seems to just make it more severe the next day (maybe it's just in my head?). Usually if I catch it when it's still small, it'll go away a day or two after hydration.
Posted via RS Mobile

Matlock 05-02-2014 04:39 AM

Mouthwash helps numb it.
Salt is good too.

Long time ago I went to the doctor and he burnt one off with a piece of dry ice. My doctor is awesome.

PJ 05-02-2014 06:00 AM

I had one that was really bad a year or so ago too. Doctor said it's from a weak immune system. Lack of sleep/exercise, poor diet, etc.

I usually use Listerine to numb it, and if I have happen to stop by my parents' place, they have this Chinese herbal medicine stuff called Watermelon Frost that works REALLY well. Its this brown powder (maybe ground up watermelon seeds like mentioned above mixed with whatever else) that you just dab on the sore, and the size will reduce overnight pretty substantially. I should keep a tube of it around, actually. No idea where you buy it though.. maybe one of those Chinese herbal places on Main near Chinatown..

LookitsMarkA 05-02-2014 04:26 PM

i tried this thing they call "tawas (alum)" in the Philippines. it worked so well
it doesnt even hurt but it makes your mouth watery. its good for using it before the canker sore even pops

cctw 05-19-2014 12:05 AM

i use toothpaste...just gently run on with toothbrush when ur brushing ur teeth..

alex.w *// 05-19-2014 09:50 AM

i've tried the watermelon frost long time ago..

it didn't work, maybe i'll try it again

Not really racist! 05-19-2014 11:29 AM

this stuff is killer, 80% alcohol

hurts bad for the first 10 seconds, and then instantly numbs, rinse and repeat a few times throughout the day and it goes away quick in my experience

http://www.pltherbals.com/img/p/1/6/...ge_default.jpg

watermelon frost is useless for me

Special K 05-19-2014 02:55 PM

I get it quite often, anywhere in my mouth, including lips, tongue, gums, and even throat once. It's worst when two big ones join together to create a GIANT one.

Yes during exam season or when I'm stressed out. It takes about 7 days to heal. Avoid citrus food like oranges. They burn.

hirevtuner 05-19-2014 05:01 PM

i usually get them from time to time and the ones happen more often are when you accidently bite yourself and it forms

i would lay off fried or excessively salty stuff for a while and rinse with mouthwash and eat more water based fruits like apple, any type of melons and drink lots of water would remedy the pain

twitchyzero 05-19-2014 05:03 PM

your typical mouthwash helps it heal pretty quick
if you dont mind the sting apply salt directly onto the lesion :woot2:

westopher 05-19-2014 05:13 PM

I go straight for the salt. Hurts like fuck, but needs to be done for the greater good.

Eff-1 05-19-2014 07:06 PM

They are the worst. The best advice is to attack them early! Don't wait for the canker to appear before you do anything, start treatment as soon as you accidentally bite yourself BEFORE the canker appears. After biting, as soon as you can rinse with salt water, mouthwash, etc... It makes a big difference. You get only a 1 or 2-day canker instead of 1-week. If you wait too long by hoping you won't get one, once it appears it's frankly too late to treat. At that point all you can do is rely on numbing agents like Kanka to reduce the pain for the next 7-10 days. Cankers = worst.

alex.w *// 05-20-2014 04:54 PM

Why is salt directly on the wound a cure for it?

ZN6 05-20-2014 05:28 PM

Mouthwash helps, Listerine, especially. Kills bacteria keeps the mouth smelling fresh. Stings for like 15 seconds but the relief afterwards is worth the initial pain.

I find the smaller ones hurt more than the larger ones for some reason. Keep drinking water and don't let your mouth dry out.

NKC ONE 06-10-2014 09:12 AM

Had this canker sore for 5 days from biting the inside of my mouth while chewing. Tried Listerine, salt, ice, drinking lots of water but nothing worked. My wife went to a pharmacy in HK and bought me something in the likes of ORALMEDIC. Comes with a q-tip and some sort of jel and is 1 time use. Instructions says to apply it once for 3-5 seconds and rinse thoroughly. Me being a cheap ass applied for a good 15 secs and went for seconds after about 10 mins just so I don't waste any.

Warning: It stings like a mofo but it really does work instantly. You don't need to reapply. Downside is that it costs roughly $4 and hurts like a beeeach till you rinse it off.