REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-02-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
Tire bubbling and warranty?

The Mercedes uses Continental run-flat tires with less than 7000km, today they were taken off and the shop found out there is a bubble on the tire inner wall, it is the size of two 1 dollar coins. The car was bought in 2013 Jan, should it be replaced under warranty? I don't want to look stupid at the service center, will they replace just one or two or even honor saying it is under Continental warranty?
Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Read the tire warranty booklet in your owners manual. Every car has one
Posted via RS Mobile
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've worked at two import dealers and both of them would only cover it if extended road hazard warranty was purchased.. (Honda plus in Hondas case and kia wear for kia). Hopefully you can find something in the manual I've seen cars with as low as 100km not covered
Posted via RS Mobile
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Bubbles are casused by hitting shit. I don't see why I would be covered unless you paid for some wacky warranty.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Bubbles are casused by hitting shit. I don't see why I would be covered unless you paid for some wacky warranty.
Most of the time, yes, however

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireRack
Sometimes, while rare, a defect in the tire itself can cause a bubble. However, this is very uncommon on tires more than a few months old. A tire shop can inspect the tire to check to see whether the bubble was caused from a defect or from road damage. To do this, the shop will typically mark the bubble, dismount the tire and check for cuts or abrasions in the inner liner of the tire.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post

The Mercedes uses Continental run-flat tires with less than 7000km, today they were taken off and the shop found out there is a bubble on the tire inner wall, it is the size of two 1 dollar coins. The car was bought in 2013 Jan, should it be replaced under warranty? I don't want to look stupid at the service center, will they replace just one or two or even honor saying it is under Continental warranty?
Certain automotive manufacturers cover tire repair and/or replacement if it's deemed a road hazard claim or tire defect. Easier way to find out is call your Mercedes dealership's service department and ask the service advisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
I've seen sidewall bubbles/bulges cause by driving over potholes, so it's not really "caused by hitting shit" but more like rolling over shit (road hazard)
Old 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
I've seen bubbles on the sidewall, but never seen one inside the tires, that's why I am curious. As the tire shop said it is mostly manufacture defects, that's why I want to make sure.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #8

you will have to dismount the tire, and have someone inspect it. Most of the time, bubbling (or bulging) is caused by the tire being pinched.

I had a customer with a new vehicle, less than 3000km, and both his front tires had bulging. I did my diligence of dismounting the tires, having it inspected, but with signs of the tires being pinched, there is no claim to start.

if you work closely with a tire retailer, or dealership manager (parts manager?) they can call a tire manufacturer road guy to inspect the tire for a possible warranty claim.

Remember, tire warranty sticks only to the manufacturer. as mentioned, some customers have road hazard warranty which can cover replacement of tire(s) and more.

I have only seen one case of tire warranty. It was a hankook tire that was dry cracking and disintegrating inside the tire. The 2 tires were 50% remaining and 2-3 years old. Hankook prorated the tires, so the customer only had to pay a portion.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote