REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Look up.

This was posted in the Powerful Pics Thread, but I think it deserves more attention.

I'm just as guilty as anyone of being too attached to technology, but these days I'm forcing myself to be aware of how much I'm on my phone, Facebook, and even this forum.

I'm one of the last generations who remembers what it was like to call a friend's house and have to speak to their mom first. I played a lot of video games, but the games were short, or got boring. It was more fun to play outside. And we would get home when we did, no one checking in. We would play roller hockey and my friend's dad would pull up his Jeep and leave the lights on so we could play when it got dark...like a goddamn Canadian Tire commercial. And it didn't occur to me to share about this moment to anyone who wasn't around me with a stick in hand.

We hear it all the time these days, complaints about being on our phones too much; and just like a news feed, or web forum, we scroll down and move past and ignore.

I for one, will be looking up.

Advertisement
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
One of the best things for me the last year and a bit has been getting my Jeep... getting me out of the house and back into the nature I grew up with. USUALLY well away from any signals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

I recently did a road trip thru the States, and stopped in Sedona, AZ. Arizona has a "dark sky" law that the city lights cannot spill into the sky, therefore you can enjoy a clear starry night almost everywhere. My mother and I did a stargazing tour on a perfect clear night, and all we had was an astronomer, a big manual telescope and a laser pointer to point out constellations. My god what an experience. I recommend it to everyone.
1986 Porsche 944, Black
Old 05-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
We really need this stupid video to make us realize that we're all self obsessed dicks that don't know how to communicate in real life anymore?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
I am totally guilty. Always on my phone. That's why I try and get walks in and go camping. I remember the days of "hi misses lee, is Samantha home"
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
I don't see why this is a problem. The phone is there when you have nothing to do, or have a few minutes to spare. Other than that, when one is with others, or is doing something, the phone takes a back seat.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
never leaving my phone at home
like alright, i get what you're trying to say... but it's a little bombastic
Old 05-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
I watched the video while playing flappy bird
Old 05-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I watched this video on my smartphone.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
And people ask me why I have a 4x4 and why I like to go offroading. Because I fucking hate being in the city for the most part, it's something special to get out away from everyone and anything.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #11

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I don't see why this is a problem. The phone is there when you have nothing to do, or have a few minutes to spare. Other than that, when one is with others, or is doing something, the phone takes a back seat.
Because there are people that is on their cellphones when they shouldn't be.

I've seen kids on their cellphone/tablet at family dinners. I've seen some friends on their cellphones while out at a gathering, their attention is just not there.

With that said, we are all victim and guilty of this, but we as human beings, realize that these devices serves us more good than bad. It is those that can't distinguish between reality and the virtual world, that has a problem.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
one thing i noticed recently is that back in high school i would talk with random people on the street and in high school i would chat with people who were considered losers, just to be nice, and in recent days i've been friended on facebook by some of these ppl that i spoke with (i didn't even remember some of them) and they would tell me how happy they were to find me on fb and how special to them our chats were

i was really taken aback that such a simple act had such an affect...anyway it got me to reflect on how i am these days, where outside of work i just have the "fuck off" look on my face and spoke with no one... i realized i needed to change...to be me again i guess you could say

so i've begun trying to act like i used to and i have to say its a bit awkward but im getting there... i had one instance where i'm taking a class with one of my cousins and i just started chatting with random classmates and my cousin was like "wtf is wrong with you?! you wanna hit dat?!" and i realized wow! i must have really changed in recent years for him to have such a reaction, he still doesn't believe that i'm just trying to be nice and be more social...

anyway rambling over! nice msg but video sucks
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #13

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Ending ruined the video for me. Once you bring a significant other into the picture the entire technology game changes. People use technology differently when they have someone in their life.

It would be more realistic if they were emphasizing new experiences or new friends. The thought of I met someone off the street, fell in love, and got married is too fairytale in my opinion.

Last edited by PeanutButter; 05-04-2014 at 12:44 PM.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I would agree with this except by looking and staring at the phone during the 'spare time' and when you have 'nothing to do', you are closing any opportunities for other people to strike up a conversation with you as well.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
If you don't have a problem being on your phone too much then that's great; but you must acknowledge that a large number of people get too attached to it. To say "I don't see this as a problem" is to be blind to a serious issue in modern culture. Obviously, the phone should take a back seat at social functions, but the whole point is that by and by large it doesn't.

Quote:
Ending ruined the video for me. Once you bring a significant other into the picture the entire technology game changes. People use technology differently when they have someone in their life.

It would be more realistic if they were emphasizing new experiences or new friends. The thought of I met someone off the street, fell in love, and got married is too fairytale in my opinion.
I don't really understand your first point; what does the use of technology have to with having a significant other?

For me, the end of the video is showing an example of what you can miss, when you're sucked into your phone. I've made good friends and companions randomly in one afternoon by going out and putting myself out there. There's absolutely no reason why you couldn't marry someone you met off the street.
1986 Porsche 944, Black
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,134 Times in 7,146 Posts
There is nothing more pathetic than seeing a couple out for dinner and seeing them never put down their phones. What a miserable existence. I'd be lying if I said I never looked at my phone when I was at a table, but its not to carry on a text conversation, or browse the internet. If I cant enjoy the company I'm with enough to keep my phone in my pocket for 59 minutes out of an hour, I won't bother being there. I saw some fuck watching a movie on his ipad while out with his wife the other day. I'm talking like, volume on, no headphones in the middle of a restaurant while his wife stared at the wall.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
There is nothing more pathetic than seeing a couple out for dinner and seeing them never put down their phones. What a miserable existence. I'd be lying if I said I never looked at my phone when I was at a table, but its not to carry on a text conversation, or browse the internet. If I cant enjoy the company I'm with enough to keep my phone in my pocket for 59 minutes out of an hour, I won't bother being there. I saw some fuck watching a movie on his ipad while out with his wife the other day. I'm talking like, volume on, no headphones in the middle of a restaurant while his wife stared at the wall.
Saw a family at the Boathouse where the daughter did this at the table, mind you with headphones in... Absolutely pathetic. Many disgusted stares were sent their way.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #18
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
People nowadays are just zombie lemmings that follow every trend like it was attached to fishing line. Hell, I didn't even know what flappy bird was until I saw it on RS.

At one end of the spectrum you have the cell companies who promote the living shitlights out of the latest phone / plan / family plan and what do you typically see in these commercials? Lazy ass parents who are more than happy to fork dollars over as long as it keeps their kids happy (who are texting at the other end of the house). You MIGHT see the odd clip of them together in a room watching netflix.

I still remember the old days of board games, card games, lite brite, those circuit track race kits.

When you got bored of the indoors, you went outdoors to hang out in the nearby woods, climb trees and just have fun. There was no constant fear of being randomly kidnapped and raped. And we wonder why some parks are so desolate now?

When I was getting into video games, I remember hearing the reports about how too much video games will fuck up your eyes. The bright lights, fast moving pictures are only best taken in moderation. Why subject a growing body to things that would hinder healthy development.

So why the fuck do I see 8 month old kids playing with IPADS with contrast so high, it fucks up MY eyes?

At the other end of the spectrum you have self-entitlement. People 'in the zone' with their phone feel that nothing else should matter because they are taking care of important shit on their phone like texting the random fuck who friended them on FB or the latest 'tip of the week' from the Bieber fan club.

It's fucking ridiculous how much stupid I see with people using their phones. My favourite part of the video was when he said how speaking on the train who label you as crazy. Not many want to converse with strangers in the real anymore and that is terrifying. If a major accident were to happen, who would run to help and who would do absolutely nothing but hit the record button and tweet about it?

This reply is long and incoherent
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #19

I think as with any technology, humans can either extract the utmost strengths from it. And vice versa, abuse it and degrade themselves.

I agree with the sentiment that its nice to get out of the city once in a while.

It really gives you perspective on life as a whole. Remember that technology is supposed to advance the human race

and yes, it saddens me when I see people going out and paying more attention to their phones rather than who they are out with. no manners, no social etiquette, and you are probably a boring person to begin with. If i do need to fire off an urgent text, ill at least acknowledge the fact with the other person and usually say sorry.

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #20

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
lol those were not pathetic enough la, here a better one:

i was out with my dad to an expensive bar in guangzhou once, then a couple came & sat next to the table next to us

dudes a little fat & the girl looked like your average mainlander girl from richmond (pretty with make up....but not sure whats behind that lol), order average expensive champagne & then the 2.......................rarely talks...................dude just starts playing mj on his iphone............while i cant see what the girl was doing but they just wasted a shit load of money doing something that they could have done at home or else where lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:02 AM   #21
I bringith the lowerballerith

Over the top exaggerated cringey poetic video imo.

I use social media pretty efficiently and it leads to meeting up with people. I even used my phone at Armin yesterday but I still had a ton of fun and created memories with my friends and saved in my brain and phone.

I can't believe we have become a generation where people need to agree with a video about being anti-social to feel like they are social. oh snap. *cringe.

Most of you who commented in this thread agreeing with the video are probably not even that bad. It may seem like a problem because every group of people probably has that one or two people with the problem but its probably a vocal minority thing that stands out. IME the majority of people in public don't have a problem. Maybe it was because I was younger when i didnt have a smartphone but i go out more nowadays then the days of having to call someone's house.

EX:
Quote:
Saw a family at the Boathouse where the daughter did this at the table, mind you with headphones in... Absolutely pathetic. Many disgusted stares were sent their way
and this quoted post itself is a form of anti-socialistic behavior. What does the condescending group staring achieve? For the family: nothing. For the starers: sense of betterment, ego boost, hipster.

As the video said, why not share your moment with the one instead of using that moment to talk about strangers...
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #22
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Maybe it's because I have been using a smartphone for well over a decade now, or just because I am old, but I never pay much attention to it when in social situations. Even when a lot of people around me are.. I just don't see the point. For me, all that social stuff is a supplement to normal life. Filler for down time, like when I first wake up, taking a dump, or on transit. I don't see much point in paying attention to it otherwise.

Also RS > Facebook

I don't know how bad it is in Canada, but it is REEEEEEEEALLY bad here. Entire groups of friends, each on their phone, completely ignoring each other. Couples dining out, each on their phone, ignoring each other. It just seems pointless to me

That being said, i have seen this video posted a million times now, but haven't watched it yet
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #23

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
i duno about u but.chinese ppl use social media a lot to do business, alot of times i have to check for updates from others

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,134 Times in 7,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

That being said, i have seen this video posted a million times now, but haven't watched it yet
Its really cringeworthy, but its message is very right.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
I got a minute in and got annoyed by this over the top, pointless video. The people who will get it don't need it and the people who need it are clueless anyways.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: