REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Worst DIY or mechanic stories

Hey folks,

I was having a conversation last night with someone about the worst mechanic or DIY story that we knew. This is an area where someone's technical knowledge ends and their "best guess" begins.
Theirs included a friend who didn't bolt their wheel back on, just screwed on their lugs with the intention of doing so, and that wheel popping off like the cap off of a shaken bottle of Coke.
Mine was about a brake caliper piston that wasn't seated properly and fell out on the road, causing a "ping" "ping" "ping" sound just seconds before the now loosened caliper started pounding against the wheel.

Lets hear your best mechanic or DIY'er horror story.
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Hey folks,

I was having a conversation last night with someone about the worst mechanic or DIY story that we knew. This is an area where someone's technical knowledge ends and their "best guess" begins.
Theirs included a friend who didn't bolt their wheel back on, just screwed on their lugs with the intention of doing so, and that wheel popping off like the cap off of a shaken bottle of Coke.
Mine was about a brake caliper piston that wasn't seated properly and fell out on the road, causing a "ping" "ping" "ping" sound just seconds before the now loosened caliper started pounding against the wheel.

Lets hear your best mechanic or DIY'er horror story.
did you or someone forgot to tighten the caliper or it wasn't tight enough?
i would find the torque spec and use accurate torque wrench to do the job
aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/68540...private+modder
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Oh boy....

I've patched the sidewall of a tire before, worked beautifully.
I've heated up my tie rods red hot so that I could adjust them.
Drove my truck home with a staple as a fuse

And then there's the things you do out in the bush so that you can make it home...
Old 05-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
a friend of mine threw spacers on his 300zx but didnt go with exteneded studs.. obviously one of his wheels fell off (will upload pics when i find them) and he didnt learn.. couple weeks later another wheel fell off.. anyways, since then he pulled the spacers and sold the car
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Oh man where to begin. The first two cars I bought (1987 Celica GTS and 1992 Celica GTS) were well maintained, the third (1991 Celica GTFour RC) most certainly was not. Here's a short rundown of some of the messes I found, I can get into more detail later.

- PO had a small accident and had the vehicle repainted, the paint shop only told him afterwards that they found rust that should be repaired (they just painted over it)
- PO's mechanic told him it either had a bad headgasket, piston rings, or clutch. This same mechanic dug all the way down to the spark plug wires just to wrap them in electrical tape instead of replace them which was the real cause of the cars problems
- PO paid to have the turbo rebuilt by a turbo shop in the lower mainland, they snapped an exhaust manifold stud off and left it snapped, then they destroyed the intake coupler on the turbo inlet and "repaired" it using tin tape and a Tim Hortons coffee cup.
- Same turbo shop didn't replace the oil feed/return gasket so the old shitty one eventually started to leak.

I've got more that I'll add as I remember them.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
I knew that would come up LOL.

First time doing a brake pad change on my first little beater car (EG). Put brake pads in backwards, took it for a test drive and brakes squealed like a bitch obviously. Had no idea why so left the car in the garage for a few weeks until I realized they were on backwards and fixed the problem.. lol

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #8

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Came here to post this.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Lol how about the fucking paint on my front fender. Don't get body work done by a guy named vinesh that runs a cash only shop in Whalley I guess LOL. At least I got rid of the car.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post

First time doing a brake pad change on my first little beater car (EG). Put brake pads in backwards, took it for a test drive and brakes squealed like a bitch obviously. Had no idea why so left the car in the garage for a few weeks until I realized they were on backwards and fixed the problem.. lol
Thank you for your good sense of humour
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
So it's grade 11 auto class right, we were doing our first oil change. It was a MAZDA 323, this car was ballin' out of control when we were done with it that year. So we boost it up on the hoist and began draining the oil.

We're looking up the specs on some shitty pc with a program where you have to load the floppy disc into it and the vehicle information comes up. I don't remember the name of it but it was a fucking hassle to wait for this thing to power up. Everyone was huddling around this thing for warmth cause the shop was below zero every morning. Meanwhile, the oil was draining into the drum

Without checking that the drain plug was back in and torqued, we lowered the car. Now you can see where everything goes downhill from there. We put about 5 quarts into the thing, not realizing it's coming straight out the bottom. just as this ultra downy kid goes and starts the car, someone steps in the puddle of oil. Now on this day, we just ran out of cat litter, I swear we used so many paper towels we could've put up 5 trees in Moldova and called it a day.

I'll never forget when our auto teacher (Mario*) kept reminding us that we're "1 beer short of a six pack" for the rest of the semester.

and that's when I moved in with my uncle in bel air.

Spoiler!

*Gleneagle grads whatsup!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Installed coilovers on my car and didn't realize I installed the "auto-leveling headlight sensor" the wrong way on the control arms (circled in red in the picture below). My headlights were aimed upwards to illuminate the squirrels in the trees for a few days until I figured that out.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Hired Koju Takeda from Takeda Racing to do my MR2 engine swap. I gave him two complete cars. He swapped the engine into the subject car, but couldn't get the transaxles to connect to the transmission. He told me I had to take the cars back because he didn't have space in his shop but held them hostage unless I paid him. Then he dumped the cars in my driveway, unrollable and ran off.

Later I found out the ECU was connected all wrong, causing problems like the reverse lights causing the car to stall when warm, and the supercharger not functioning.

Looks like his shop is out of business now as the domain takedaracing.com doesn't exist.
mantle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

well, not my first hand but i've had a customer come in asking for a box of 12mm washers so he could use them as wheel spacers. i told him no and refused to sell him them
bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

i got a good one from high school mechanics. We were in groups tearing apart and reassembling engines, they were just some crap ones they used every year and were never meant to run afterwards but its still funny. anyways were installing the pistons and one of the other guys is having a hard time getting the piston rings to compress all the way, hes got the first 2 in the cylinder but the last one is catching. So he goes and grabs a mallet and smacks the thing until the ring breaks and a big chunk of the piston comes out.
Traverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensta View Post
well, not my first hand but i've had a customer come in asking for a box of 12mm washers so he could use them as wheel spacers. i told him no and refused to sell him them
WTF? Worst DIY story for me was trying to hook up some LEDs under my front seats...somehow, a short happened a popped like 3 different fuses. NEVER AGAIN!

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Someone should find the link to that "500hp eagle talon" that a guy built at home. Wouldn't make 200hp on the dyno
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
straight from the fields of squamton

I work at a dealership, and had a truck come in on the tow truck from another local 'shop'. the truck went to the other shop for a no start concern. the 'tech' at the other shop literally threw parts at it hoping to fix it. after about $1000 the customer towed it to us.
Other shop replaced a fuel pump driver module, fuel rail pressure sensor, throttle position sensor and a few other fun things I believe.
I got to it, pulled codes, followed the correct pinpoint test and found a bad throttle body. replaced it, and the truck was like new again.

I couldn't understand the other shops logic at all.
edit* I spent about 45 minutes with the truck start to finish, they had it for days*
Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #19
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
- I was in Auto class in gr 12. Friday.
- I had the last 2 blocks in the same class, so I decided to run out and buy new pads/rotors/drums/shoes to do an overhaul on my mom's car.
- Trusted somebody to put the drums back on before putting the wheel on.
- #didnthappen
- Torqued it down not realizing it wasn't even on because it ran steelies.
- Basically had NO BRAKES for the entire weekend while out with my friends.
- Drive anyway. #17&invincible
- Surprised we didn't die.
- Back into class on Monday. I attempted to take off the rear wheels. Wasn't happening. Rear wheels pretty much acted like a giant drum, and the shoes were just starting to grind into the wheel.
- Had my first experience with my trusty 2. No, not WD-40+Ducttape. Torch + Hammer.
- Fixed. Happy.

Lessons learned:
- Don't trust anybody to do anything right.
- Torch + Hammer. Problem solver.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #20

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I drove my Toyota the entire time I owned it without rear brakes, shit works fine.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #21
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

put the screw that held my rotors onto my car, into the wrong slot.. ( I put the screw into the hole where you're supposed to impact the rotor out).. this caused a massive steering wheel vibration
Old 05-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #22
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
i checked out a bmw last weekend and noticed some rust. the guy told me "its just some surface rust and we can grind it down".... No.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #23
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
One of my shifter cables was secured by a paperclip lol. Good thing the shifter bushings I bought came with the correct pin.

Quote:
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #24
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
worst that i have seen was a 1996 vw golf that had a radator fan that wouldnt turn on by the car itself so the owner decided to run a wire from the battery to the fan and out around the exterior through the window and screwed a manual switch to his dash....

yea so when the car seemed like it was too hot, he would flip the switch and the car would cool down lol
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post

Almost similar to my first brake experience! My first time changing my own brake pads, I put the anti-squeal on both the back of the pads and the pads themselves...

Luckily I realized my error after sliding the first caliper
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote