REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Good Guy Cop (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695106-good-guy-cop.html)

kross9 05-08-2014 03:50 PM

Good Guy Cop

Its nice to see something like this with recent stomps of police enforcement around the world via social media.

Police officer goes above and beyond for Sumter teen - WSMV Channel 4

Quote:

SUMTER, SC (WIS) -
A Sumter police officer went above and beyond for a 13-year-old boy.

A few weeks ago, 13-year-old Cameron Simmons called Sumter police because he was upset after fighting with his mom. The teenager told police he didn't want to live in the house with his family anymore.

Officer Gaetano Acerra responded to the call.

"I said, ‘You have it good, you have a roof over your head,'" said Acerra. "I told him I would try to help him out, and here we are now."

The officer brought Simmons home, and realized the boy didn't have a real bed. In fact, Simmons didn't have nearly anything he needed for a bedroom.

"My heart went out for him," said Acerra. "I thought the little things that he needed I could give him, to make him a happier kid."

A few weeks after the call, Acerra showed up at Simmon's house with a truck full of gifts.

"Bed, TV, desk, chair, a Wii game system that somebody donated to me because of the story I told them," said Acerra.

Simmons told Acerra that because of the new bed, his back won't hurt anymore.

Simmons was sleeping on an inflatable mattress. The teenager said the mattress would slowly deflate throughout the night.

"I didn't do this for publicity or to get people to notice me," Acerra said. "I did it because I could. It was the right thing to do and I think people should do things like this."

Officer Acerra said he has gained more than just a few pats on the back; he's gained friend.

Acerra gave Simmons his cell phone number, and told him to call anytime.

Acerra plans to bring Simmons more bedroom furniture, including a dresser and mirror.

murd0c 05-08-2014 05:25 PM

If more police officers did things like this in the ghettos the perception of police in those areas would be so much better. Hopefully this will cause a ripple effect and we will see more stories like this in the future

320icar 05-08-2014 06:22 PM

Lets hope all that stuff he was given doesnt get taken by his mom and sold or whatever.

But good guy human for sure.

PeanutButter 05-08-2014 06:40 PM

Wonder if the kid got a Simmons mattress :whistle:

Manic! 05-08-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8468739)
If more police officers did things like this in the ghettos the perception of police in those areas would be so much better. Hopefully this will cause a ripple effect and we will see more stories like this in the future

The stuff was all donated. Why don't you go to the ghetto and donate stuff?

kross9 05-08-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8468777)
The stuff was all donated. Why don't you go to the ghetto and donate stuff?

Majority was bought by the cop, the Wii was donated to him by a friend

Tone Loc 05-08-2014 09:28 PM

Stories like this, of police officers actually doing good things for others and making simple sacrifices to help people, are not rare. The reason you see so much news/media reports of police corruption, brutality, abuse of power, etc., is because the media has realized that it is those types of reports that sell, plain and simple. We live in a world where people want to see "heroes" get taken down and vilified, not praised for their efforts... kudos to the cop though, real good guy for sure.

kross9 05-08-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 (Post 8468858)
Stories like this, of police officers actually doing good things for others and making simple sacrifices to help people, are not rare. The reason you see so much news/media reports of police corruption, brutality, abuse of power, etc., is because the media has realized that it is those types of reports that sell, plain and simple. We live in a world where people want to see "heroes" get taken down and vilified, not praised for their efforts... kudos to the cop though, real good guy for sure.

Exactly thats why it was nice too see something like this around instead of some story saying a cop was abusing his powers (which most of the time lack the context of the actual even)

Manic! 05-08-2014 10:09 PM

police do stuff like this all the time. The VPD takes underprivileged kids to Canucks games. Here is some of the stuff they did in 2013. 2013 Funded Projects | Vancouver Police Foundation

rsx 05-08-2014 10:41 PM

One of the bajillion reasons why having a kid should be a licensed program.