REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:30 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
2015 Vancouver Bike Share

Looks like Bike share is launching in Vancouver in 2015...would you use it?

Public bike share system | City of Vancouver
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #2

Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 AM   #3

oh shit, looks like BC needs to change the Motor Vehicle Act Victoria watching as Vancouver prepares for bike-share plan - Local - Times Colonist

I have to agree with this article, bike share will only work if you don't need to wear a helmet.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am going to pay a hobo $2 for each bike he stole for me.

This is one of the most stupidest thing (next to massive bike lanes) that this mayor have done. It rains in Vancouver 9 months out of a year so these bikes will get wet, rusted and the city have to pay for it. Not to mention hobos will steal it and try to sell it or sell its part for money, people who want to ride already own a bike and those of us that don't own a bike don't really care. Also what about the bike rental place around downtown? If tourist or a local wants to ride around Stanely park we go rent them but now with these city rental bikes I could get one form the city for cheaper basically driving people away from renting the bike a store.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

there needs to be more accountability for people on bikes.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
City of Vancouver, are you crazy???
Can you not learn from Montreal or Toronto that this will not work. Both Montreal and Toronto are losing money on this program (BIXI).

PLUS, like another member posted, Vancouverites have to wear a helmet unlike Montreal and Toronto. So how are you going to get around that?

If their populations can't sustain the program, what makes you think Vancouver can?

EDIT: just read this
Quote:
The PBS system will be privately owned and operated.
So as long as public money doesn't take the hit on this, i'm okay with it. Let the private sector deal with it. I assume the city will take a cut or rent out the space, so the city and us win in the end regardless if this makes money or not. As long as the city isn't putting money up, i'm okay with this program.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
I think the majority of the users will be tourist, just like how most bike share programs are in Europe.

Most Vancouverites who live in Vancouver will probably have their own bikes or car already.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
City of Vancouver, are you crazy???
Can you not learn from Montreal or Toronto that this will not work. Both Montreal and Toronto are losing money on this program (BIXI).

PLUS, like another member posted, Vancouverites have to wear a helmet unlike Montreal and Toronto. So how are you going to get around that?

If their populations can't sustain the program, what makes you think Vancouver can?

EDIT: just read this

So as long as public money doesn't take the hit on this, i'm okay with it. Let the private sector deal with it. I assume the city will take a cut or rent out the space, so the city and us win in the end regardless if this makes money or not. As long as the city isn't putting money up, i'm okay with this program.
A few months ago I read that while it will be privately owned and operated, the City of Vancouver with the urging of Mayor Moonbeam, is paying for the installation costs and acquisition of the bikes and equipment and yearly expansion and maintenance. These figures were approved at $6 million and $500,000 yearly back in January by the city, but I see from their new PDF, they are saying now $1 million and $500,000 annually on pages 35-36 of the PDF http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/public...l-07232013.pdf

Such a waste of money, especially the disaster this program has turned out to be so far in other cities. There are already so many private bicycle rental places for tourist that want to rent a bike and those that live here that want to bike likely have their own bike already.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #9

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
i'd say do it but keep the footprint small so it wont take up more precious DT space
might as well waste more money since the city has already committed to the bike lanes...might as well make better use of it
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I loved the bike sharing system in Paris when I was travelling there. Not saying it will work in Van but it truly was a better way to travel and see a lot of things.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I am okay with it, car2go has been a great venture that appears to be working well. I could see people using this as well. I wish car2go vehicles had bikeracks on them though, that would be even better.
twixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #12

yeah but like someone else posted, Vancouver rains a lot. So during the rain season, bikes will be sitting there virtually doing nothing but collecting rust and taking up space...and we know Vancouver is already clouded.

and one of the biggest obstacle is helmet. There's no clear explanation how they're gonna get around that...seems like they're pretending not seeing this problem and hoping that this program will work somehow.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

and one of the biggest obstacle is helmet. There's no clear explanation how they're gonna get around that...seems like they're pretending not seeing this problem and hoping that this program will work somehow.
I think they are going to have helmet renting stations.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
A few months ago I read that while it will be privately owned and operated, the City of Vancouver with the urging of Mayor Moonbeam, is paying for the installation costs and acquisition of the bikes and equipment and yearly expansion and maintenance. These figures were approved at $6 million and $500,000 yearly back in January by the city, but I see from their new PDF, they are saying now $1 million and $500,000 annually on pages 35-36 of the PDF http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/public...l-07232013.pdf

Such a waste of money, especially the disaster this program has turned out to be so far in other cities. There are already so many private bicycle rental places for tourist that want to rent a bike and those that live here that want to bike likely have their own bike already.
wat..??
let me get this straight...
so the city is paying millions for the bikes and installation cost + $500K/year to to maintain the equipments, but these bikes will be privately owned and operated, meaning all the rental income will go to some private companies while our tax $ pay for all the investment and maintenance...

what a fucking good deal
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Don't forget the likelihood of wiping out all the bike rental places.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I think they are going to have helmet renting stations.
no they won't

lots of people have problems wearing a helmet worn by random hobos and strangers
Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Don't forget the likelihood of wiping out all the bike rental places.
oh yeah, tons of people are gonna go on EI because of this idea.

+ the city of Vancouver will lose tons of money for maintenance, replacing broken bikes, possible theft and lawsuit, set up fees for stations, etc...I don't know if they're actually projecting this to be lucrative
Old 05-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #18

Quote:
no they won't

lots of people have problems wearing a helmet worn by random hobos and strangers

Frustrated by B.C. safety laws, Vancouver prepares to roll out helmet vending machines at bike-share stations | National Post
Old 05-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #19

^ the article says it didn't go well in other cities.
also you can't try out helmet before purchase.

BC must change the Motor Vehicle Act if they are serious about this and want to be successful.

The biggest benefit of bike sharing is convenience. People would NOT want to be carrying around bicycle helmet.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #20

BC needs to change this useless helmet law.
Why do we even have to helmet just for bicycle anyways? It's dumb.
This is exactly why countries and cities don't even require helmet.

Also check this out... Helmet laws: British Columbia
"The law resulted in no improvement in % head injuries from a year before legislation (95/96) to a year after (97/98) compared with Canadian provinces that did not introduce a helmet law."

http://citycaucus.com/2012/06/bcs-ma...arm-than-good/
http://www.ibiketo.ca/blog/helmets-m...ists-less-safe\

http://thethunderbird.ca/2010/11/25/...ke-share-plan/
“If you’ve got to carry a [helmet] everywhere that’s not going to work.”

Last edited by Timpo; 05-12-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #21

Quote:
^ the article says it didn't go well in other cities.
also you can't try out helmet before purchase.

BC must change the Motor Vehicle Act if they are serious about this and want to be successful.

The biggest benefit of bike sharing is convenience. People would NOT want to be carrying around bicycle helmet.
People don't also want up being dead or vegetables.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #22
I subscribe to Revscene

This could decrease downtown traffic as more bikers fill these lanes, some might realize that leaving the car at home for short trips is worth it.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 05-12-2014 at 05:46 PM.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #23

If this program is successful, this is how Vancouver will look near future.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:

I have to agree with this article, bike share will only work if you don't need to wear a helmet.
Amen, brother. This works like a charm in Europe (was in Europe for April), but I don't see it happening in Vancouver.
hpratvfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #25
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts

do they come with cargo space or a rack?
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote