REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Raw Oysters (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695240-raw-oysters.html)

guurl 05-14-2014 07:43 AM

Raw Oysters

Where do you guys prefer to go when it comes down to raw oysters?

Asian places.. white places? How much are they each? Cheap..? Expensive?

I usually don't eat raw oysters but I did recently tried it at Manzo Izakaya in Richmond and it was soo good.. Boy was I missing out.. LOL but it was a little bit expensive for a one. like 3.50..

Suggestions? :)

TypeRNammer 05-14-2014 07:45 AM

Ebisu on Robson during happy hour!

One dollar each between 430 and 630 I think.

nma 05-14-2014 07:55 AM

Rodney's Oyster Bar Gas Town. Not too bad price wise, I think they have specials too. Always busy

Merchant's Oyster Bar on Commercial. Pretty good there as well, they also have specials

Spoon 05-14-2014 07:55 AM

Don't really eat them. But if I had to choose, then likely Joe Fortes. I don't really trust asian places for certain foods. :joy:

SkinnyPupp 05-14-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8471297)
Don't really eat them. But if I had to choose, then likely Joe Fortes. I don't really trust asian places for certain foods. :joy:

This is what I was going to say, although it has been about a decade since I last went :fuckthatshit:

Armind 05-14-2014 08:29 AM

Does Joe Fortes have happy hour buck a shuck?

shawnly1000 05-14-2014 09:42 AM

Chewies has buck a shuck (IIRC 5-7pm for kits and 3-6 for coal harbour); Oyster Express in Chinatown (former Rodney's guy); Merchant's

or go to Whole Foods, they shuck and pack them on a bed of ice in a plastic tray

z3german 05-14-2014 09:44 AM

I GOT THIS GUYS! I fucking love cheap oysters

ebisu robson/richmond both have specials during happy hour 430-6pm, 99c/pc but they are all royal miyagi (I think) and sometimes they taste a bit too "cooked" since they need to kill bacteria and such. A downside is that they pre garnish it so its basically same flavor town every single one.

Oyster express in chinatown is awesome, they have buck a shuck specials pretty ofter (everyday? cant remember) but they limit you to a single kind of oyster, and only 1 dozen per person with the buck a shuck. After that its regular price.

Merchant oyster bar used to have buck a shuck all day long sunday and tues, but last time I went they got into top ten places to eat with some online food thing. They dropped the buck a shuck (I was there just 3 weeks prior and they still had buck a shuck) and are doing the standard $1.50 per during happy hour. Still is my favorite place though because they usually have 2-3 oysters on special, and if they run out of a kind they will replace it with another rather than dropping the special all together.

Rodneys is good, just $$, and their happy hour is difficult to go to since its something like 3-5pm. Happy hour $1.50/pc

Raw bar in DT has buck a shuck during happy hours, place feels really cramped though and ambiance is kinda weird. Slow to shuck since they are so small, but its not bad.

So far thats all the places I feel is worth going to, always on the look out for buck a shuck! We should have a buck a shuck thread.

guurl 05-14-2014 09:50 AM

Wow this is great!! $1-1.50 each?!?! One dozen oysters is more than enough for me LOL can't wait to try!! Thanks everybody!!
I've always thought about trying Rodney's or Joe Fortes but it sounds kind of expensive haha.

BEEN THINKING ABOUT OYSTERS ALL WEEK!! I need to satisfy my cravings

YES we should have a buck a shuck thread. haha

Vansterdam 05-14-2014 09:52 AM

used to go to Raw but I think they closed down. man the oysters there were awesome

Ebisu happy hour is pretty awesome for buck a shuck

Fish Shack downtown also has buck a shuck but never been.

I been to Oyster Express in Chinatown on Keefer and it was okay. They do have a buck a shuck as well according to their website TUE 4:30-9:30 / WED, THU, SUN 4:30-6:30

Rodneys low tide special is good too, kinda pricey during regular hours

Joe Fortes is bomb too but also gets pricey. I dont think they have any specials for oysters

theres also Merchant on Commercial dr

m3thods 05-14-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8471339)
used to go to Raw but I think they closed down. man the oysters there were awesome

Ebisu happy hour is pretty awesome for buck a shuck

Fish Shack downtown also has buck a shuck but never been.

I been to Oyster Express in Chinatown on Keefer and it was okay. They do have a buck a shuck as well according to their website TUE 4:30-9:30 / WED, THU, SUN 4:30-6:30

Rodneys low tide special is good too, kinda pricey during regular hours

Joe Fortes is bomb too but also gets pricey. I dont think they have any specials for oysters

theres also Merchant on Commercial dr

IIRC they have happy hour still between 4-6 M-F at Joe Forte's. It's not buck a shuck, but it's cheaper than menu pricing. I'm never in downtown during that time, but when I'm craving raw oysters it's usually Joe Fortes. I've heard really good things about Rodney's. Only slightly cheaper places I've tried are Black and Blue (during brunch) and The Boathouse. The latter used to have a happy hour but not sure if they still do. Both places were still good, and I'll get them if I happen to find myself in the restaurant.

Perhaps it's just perception, but I'd never go to an Asian place for cheap oysters, save for Ebisu which I've tried/had. Through the years I've gotten away from the buck a shuck stuff because I've grown attached to Kusshi oysters, which are never offered during those times. I've found over the years that I'm not a huge fan of the bigger oysters anymore (that tend to be offered for cheap). But different strokes!

corollagtSr5 05-14-2014 10:25 AM

Whole foods on cambie and broadway. They have a variety to choose from and they shuck them for you and put them on a bed of ice.

knight604 05-14-2014 10:56 AM

Every place downtown usually do happy hour on oysters from 3-5, I know that oysters raw bar on Howe does 75 cents from 3-4 and 4-6 it is 1 dollar. But it is closed right now for renovations.

The coast and Joe fortes are really good as well, better than rodneys imo because I don't care for much of their sauces and it is usually way too packed there.

There is also Blue Water Café + Raw Bar as well.

Vansterdam 05-14-2014 06:43 PM

^ u sure its closed for renovations lol

I tried calling their number awhile back and it was like not in service

that place was awesome for oysters just kinda small

knight604 05-14-2014 06:46 PM

I'm not too sure man , i looked inside the building and they are renovating the whole ground floor from what i can see.

SkinnyPupp 05-14-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3german (Post 8471334)
but they limit you to a single kind of oyster, and only 1 dozen per person with the buck a shuck. After that its regular price.

As much as I love oysters, the idea of eating more than 12 raw oysters in a single sitting is pretty :heckno:

z3german 05-14-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8471669)
As much as I love oysters, the idea of eating more than 12 raw oysters in a single sitting is pretty :heckno:

Really? I swear I can eat like 40 :sweetjesus:

SkinnyPupp 05-15-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3german (Post 8471717)
Really? I swear I can eat like 40 :sweetjesus:

Maybe but for me with food there's a such thing as "too much of a good thing" and that level is different for each type of food ;)

And when it comes to things that are basically the garbage cans of the sea, that limit would be 12 or so, as delicious as they are ;)

guurl 05-15-2014 12:47 AM

:concentrate:yeah.. id probably just eat like 5 at the most. LOL dont want to ruin my love for it.

since we're on the topic of oysters..

where's your favorite place for oyster motoyaki??
mine is at a place called 89 inn!!.. super random place on fraser and like 48th. i havent had it in a while but id order take out since the rest of their food sucks. it's like a canadian/chinese joint fused with japanese. lol very random. nothing fancy.

im not a big fan of the creamy buttery motoyakis.. i like the ones with sauteed onions and mushrooms and just a thin layer of the cheese/mayo YUMMM

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/...00752009_n.jpg

SkinnyPupp 05-15-2014 03:45 AM

OMG oyster motoyaki is hard to come by here... I miss it so much :sweetjesus:

Vansterdam 05-15-2014 03:46 AM

^ dạm that's looks good lol def gonna try this soon!

Been looking for a good oyster motoyaki place as well. I usually go to Guu

sonick 05-15-2014 10:30 AM

For buying raw oysters to eat at home, I have always wondered; are the ones typically sold in grocery stores ok to eat raw or should only be eaten cooked?

Spoon 05-15-2014 10:35 AM

If restaurants have to post warnings that customers run the risk of food poisoning by consuming them. What's the likelihood that the ones in stores are safe. :rukidding:

xmisstrinh 05-15-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8471297)

+1 for Joe Fortes!!!

edit: they have buck a shuck and half price appies btwn 4-6

TOS'd 05-15-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8472000)
If restaurants have to post warnings that customers run the risk of food poisoning by consuming them. What's the likelihood that the ones in stores are safe. :rukidding:

That's for legal reasons. Like when they also say that eating rare steak or a sunny side up egg could cause food poisoning. So long as you aren't ordering from some visibly sketchy dump, it should be fine.