REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Family cat saves boy from dog attack (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695257-family-cat-saves-boy-dog-attack.html)

Presto 05-14-2014 04:42 PM

Family cat saves boy from dog attack

Quote:

BAKERSFIELD - A cat came to her best friend's rescue Tuesday when a young boy was attacked by a dog in his driveway in Southwest Bakersfield and it was all caught on video.

The surveillance video shows the boy, 4-year-old Jeremy, playing on his bicycle. He was coming home from school when he wanted to fly a kite. Jeremy has mild autism.

The neighbor's dog, an 8-month-old labrador/chow mix, sneaks up behind him and bites his leg.

The family's cat, named Tara, rushed the attacking dog and chased it away.

"Tara is my hero," Jeremy said.

Erica Triantafilo, Jeremy's mother, was nearby watering a tree when she heard his screams.

"I didn't really even realize what had happened until after when my husband showed me the surveillance video," Erika said.

Erica told 23ABC the boy needed a few stitches, but he is doing fine. Erica said it could have been much worse.

"I've never seen a cat do that," said Roger Triantafilo, Jeremy's father. "Especially ours. It just shows how much she really has a family-oriented mind set."

Tara became a part of the Triantafilo family in 2008. She loves to be pet and comes when called.

She also said the dog belonged to a neighbor and is now under voluntary observation at Bakersfield Animal Care Center.

Sgt. Joe Grubbs, Bakersfield Police spokesman, said the dog will be quarantined for 10 days then euthanized.

The neighbor was pulling their vehicle out of their gated driveway when the dog escaped.

The neighbor called 911 on behalf of the boy and his mother.
AMAZING VIDEO: Cat saves boy from dog attack in Southwest Bakersfield - 23ABC News
I prefer dogs more than cats, but there are exceptions to every rule. It was startling watching the dog just go right for that kid.

red_2 05-14-2014 04:47 PM

cool cat

320icar 05-14-2014 04:53 PM

My cats wouldn't give a shit if i was laying in the gutter moaning for help.

...that is until their food bowl went dry.

**edit** shame the dog has to be put down. But a completely unwarranted and violent attack on a toddler is too risky i say.

Presto 05-14-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8471546)
...that is until their food bowl went dry.

Thanks for that insight. Security cam footage shows it's close to dinner time. The cat wanted a piece of that steak she saw earlier.

Genius.:troll:

freakshow 05-14-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8471546)
**edit** shame the dog has to be put down. But a completely unwarranted and violent attack on a toddler is too risky i say.

Forgive me because I'm not a dog person, but is it really a shame? I'd be happy to put that dog down for an attack like that.

StanleyR 05-14-2014 05:49 PM

Awesome cat is awesome! :woot2:

I love at 35 seconds when the mom realized what caused the attack, then drops the kid and bolts outta there! :failed:

Mom of the year award for that lady :rukidding:

murd0c 05-14-2014 05:54 PM

The best part is the cat comes back to see if he's ok.

radioman 05-14-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyR (Post 8471584)
Awesome cat is awesome! :woot2:

I love at 35 seconds when the mom realized what caused the attack, then drops the kid and bolts outta there! :failed:

Mom of the year award for that lady :rukidding:

Mom most likely went to get make sure the dog didn't come back.
Probably would have a hard time carrying the kid inside on her own anyway.

rsx 05-14-2014 06:24 PM

gangster cat. love it! dog had to be destroyed no question about it.

Vansterdam 05-14-2014 06:32 PM

cats FTW :nyan:

nabs 05-14-2014 06:34 PM

Wow! and the cat actually came back to the kid after the dog ran away, I wonder if it was wondering if the kid was okay or not.

Amazing video, makes me miss my kitty.

frozen 05-14-2014 06:54 PM

Is the dog owner being euthanized as well?

pastarocket 05-14-2014 08:33 PM

This cat is definitely not a pussy. :fullofwin:

Props to this cat! :bigthumb:

GabAlmighty 05-14-2014 08:36 PM

Good thing they had a full video surveillance system set up to catch all the action!

slicrick 05-14-2014 08:46 PM

My grandparents have had a few Chao's over the years and those things have a mean streak, three out of the 4 they've had were always bad around dogs and people they didn't know

http://chowchowdog.net/wp-content/up...ow-Chow304.jpg

the Blonde one they had was actually a really nice dog though looked like the picture above

GabAlmighty 05-14-2014 09:42 PM

I'm more nervous are Chao's then around most any other dog.

hal0g0dv2 05-14-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozen (Post 8471648)
Is the dog owner being euthanized as well?

Yeah his whole family is also

SoNaRWaVe 05-14-2014 09:57 PM

+1 for the neighbour though. at least he called the 911.

fliptuner 05-14-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 8471606)
Mom most likely went to get make sure the dog didn't come back.
Probably would have a hard time carrying the kid inside on her own anyway.

The dad's comment on youtube:

Quote:

Question: Why did the mom run away?
Answer: After checking his wounds she made sure the dog did not return for a second attempt. The owners were there also and she was bit by the dog as she tried to pin him in his yard. The owners did get control of the dog and secured him in which she immediately returned to attending to our son. I did not include that video because it was not so much about the dog but about the cats actions

Gumby 05-15-2014 09:20 AM

The boy's pretty tough for getting up and walking around right after such an attack!

Taxmonkey 05-17-2014 12:59 PM

Wonder what Caesar Milan would say

hchang 05-17-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 8471968)
The boy's pretty tough for getting up and walking around right after such an attack!

Adrenaline

spideyv2 05-17-2014 02:58 PM

why the fuck is there always that 1 idiot who feels it's neccessary to fail a solid post

PeanutButter 05-17-2014 04:16 PM

I've always been curious about cats. I think they would make a perfect pet for me as I don't think I would be able to give a dog the attention it needs.

I've heard cats don't need much attention and you still get the benefits of having an animal around. Not that this video made me want a cat more, but it's nice to see that some seem like they have a protector type roll.

Anyone have a cat that regrets getting one?

SkinnyPupp 05-17-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8473088)
I've always been curious about cats. I think they would make a perfect pet for me as I don't think I would be able to give a dog the attention it needs.

I've heard cats don't need much attention and you still get the benefits of having an animal around. Not that this video made me want a cat more, but it's nice to see that some seem like they have a protector type roll.

Anyone have a cat that regrets getting one?

My wife and I both love dogs, a LOT. But you're right, they need a lot of care and attention. They need to be taken out at least twice a day, for around half an hour each time. EVERY DAY. We just don't have that much time, at least consistently, to properly care for a dog. Everything from traveling for a weekend to staying out all day and night, everything has to be planned around the dog. Instead, we just play with the dogs living in our village..

We have cats, and they are awesome. As for attention, you just have to make sure they are fed and their litter box is clean, and that's about it. You can go out all day or overnight and they'll be fine, just leave extra food for them.

They aren't as loyal or attention seeking as dogs, but still make great lovable pets. And they aren't always completely aloof. One of our cats - the one who isn't a complete moron - really does care if you're sick or upset or hurt. He'll come up to you and check up on you if you're hurt and it's really touching. I hurt my back a while ago and was sitting in bed in great pain about to get up. He came up to me, stood on his hind feet, and gave me a kiss on the nose.. that made my wife cry :lawl:

I love all animals, from dogs to cats to insects, birds, and reptiles. But you have to choose the pet that matches up with your lifestyle.

As a side note I see a lot of stick bugs around my village and I am SO tempted to take one home and keep it as a pet... Just seems so cool