REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Computer back up for home use

So if you guys haven't noticed from my other thread, my mom's pc crapped and still trying to recover a bunch of pics/docs of there. This made me think of home backups. We never back up our pc's at home. What do you guys use/do?

Do you guys use some sort of auto backup to dropbox/box/google drive etc?

Do you guys use some sort of network attached system?

What is better?

I'm all ears!
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
depending on how much data you need backup.

I have a lot of data I need backed up so cloud will not work for me.

I have a nas that I backup to weekly or monthly depending on how much changes I make
I also have an external hard drive I backup to as well monthly and hide it somewhere in the house just in case someone breaks in and takes my computer and nas.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You should get an external hard drive to begin with. Once you have complaints, then you can upgrade. The upgrade path will depend on what your complaints are.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
for your parents, just use dropbox/google drive/sky drive or anyone of those cloud services. It's worth paying a few bucks a month to save the headache of having to recover data.

There's no way, ever, that they'll remember to hook up their external drive, or even want to copy files to a NAS. And a NAS will require (your) maintenance as well. It may not even be cheaper after buying the drives, replacement drives and NAS box/computer.

The only caveat to this would be if your parents store over 1TB of data(photos/videos)… then there are no cheap/easy solutions.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

This won't help OP much I think but time machine is brilliant on a Mac. When I had a pc I used to backup my music, photos and documents to an external hard drive via copy and paste. Just make sure everything is filed in 3 folders so it's quick.

Also, it's more work but nice to store your hard drive away from your computer.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
if you're building a new PC you could just run raid 1 -- that'd be the easiest for your parents to do. They have to do nothing different, all on the hardware level so no learning curve for them.

Downside is obviously you can't do a system restore or backup in case something goes wrong (like you would be able to with time machine / windows backups)
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Acronis True Image if you want to clone the disk

EASEUS Data Recovery if your HD partition cannot be read or PC cannot detect the windows

or you just want to backup some files, just pull the HD and back it up with other PC or external HD enclosure
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
Got MOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
if you're building a new PC you could just run raid 1 -- that'd be the easiest for your parents to do. They have to do nothing different, all on the hardware level so no learning curve for them.

Downside is obviously you can't do a system restore or backup in case something goes wrong (like you would be able to with time machine / windows backups)
RAID is not backup. Its about the constant availability of data. An external drive or a NAS would probably be best. A lot of the NAS nowadays have built in backups that you can set and forget.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Personally for home use, unless the data is absolutely critical, RAID 1 is a waste of a drive.

Like everyone mentioned, purchase a cheap 2-bay NAS so everyone in the house (and not just your mom) can benefit. Then back the NAS up with an off-the-shelf portable hard drive big enough (or just create images and archive those). That's enough redundancy for 98% of the population. It's not automatic, but it's thorough.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'm thinking of using dropbox and scheduling automatic back ups on each pc. I really don't have time to babysit the back up process.

Ideally what I wanted was to drop maybe $50-$60 on a 100-200gb hd, have it connected to my router and setup some auto backup on each pc. But this seems not possible for my price range. I'm not willing to spend the $300-400 that is required for this.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
couple years ago I bought a 1TB external hard drive that I back up my computer with every so often. Works perfect and it's easy to use and I have the info in my closet rather on someone else's server.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
The important thing is to have a backup stored outside of your home and also that your backup DOES NOT stay permanently connected to the machine (either physically or over the network). A USB drive or redundant HDD's connected to your machine will only protect you from hardware failure, a virus or physical destruction of the property will still wipe out everything.

I recently had to deal with a virus that encrypts your PC's files of certain types and then goes for external of network drives and does the same, then demands you pay to get the decryption key. If your backup drive is always connected to your PC then any virus can get to your backups as well and destroy them. Since we had offline backups of the files I simply removed the virus and overwrote the files with the clean offline backups.

I'm not sure how dropbox, etc work but I would worry that a corrupted local file would overwrite the cloud copy and you'd still be screwed.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote