REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Surrey diesel mechanic dishonest scheme

Needing some advice for a friend on what he should do in this situation.

I have a friend who is a truck driver which his truck was broken down and wont start up in Surrey. He called a towing company to tow his truck to a mechanic to get it fix and the towing company recommend him to this diesel mechanic in Surrey. After being towed to the shop which the towing company recommended, there was a verbal agreement that the service being done will only be $1000 and under nothing more between both the driver and the diesel mechanic.

Few days later, the mechanic calls back my friend back saying the job is completed and the total cost of repair and service provided is $5000. My friend asked the mechanic to send a break down of everything he has done on the truck and he has yet to send anything to him. Also he will not be releasing the truck back to him if $5000 is not given. The diesel mechanic is brown for those who happen to care....

Is this some sorta Surrey diesel mechanic dishonest scheme/ scam? Should he report it to the police for fraudulent activity for them to investigate?

I got a feeling that if this isnt sort it out soon, the mechanic will sell the truck and leave to somewhere.
Advertisement

Last edited by Mike Oxbig; 05-16-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'm not sure if a verbal agreement between a mechanic/shop owner and a customer will hold up in court. This is why they have repair orders when a vehicle is being maintained or repaired, so that there isn't a "misunderstanding" when it comes time to pay the bill.

Also, from my understanding, the shop cannot keep your vehicle if your friend refuses to pay or does not pay the "full amount". The shop has to release the vehicle, but they can put a mechanic's lien on it, though.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

It boggles my mind that people STILL don't request written quotes from mechanics before work is performed on their cars. What is this magical "verbal agreement" people seem to always depend on?
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Without any written agreement, couldn't you work it the other way and argue along the lines of "the mechanic is holding my property" kind of thing?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Verbal agreements do hold up in court if it seems reasonable, which this does
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Should not have listened to the tow truck driver and went to a reputable mechanic shop. Sorry no idea as i have never been in that situation, but i would not go to a shop on some random drivers word.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

brown? as in race? what's that gotta do with anything?

if he didn't wanna brown dude working on his rig, why'd he take it to his shop?
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Verbal agreement, nothing signed, i would show up with $1000 in my pocket and collect my vehicle, if not i would phone the cops.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
See the repair bill first before making judgement, Also if the truck is past its current inspection I believe the shop has to certify it with a new provincial inspection before allowing it back on the road.

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote