REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

$17k for a 13yr old Honda - Crazy?

Let me preface this by saying that an age of a car does not always dictate value and price. I get it (before the Honda fan boys jump on me).

Getting straight to the point - I've always had a soft spot for the S2000. Something about driving my buddy's AP1 SSM and rowing the gears to 9000 registered with me.

This summer I am seriously considering purchasing one. However, I've noticed that they hold their value quite well. Fluctuates between 15-19 for a clean AP1 with about 100,000 kms and no stories attached. Yes, you can probably find a 2000 with high clicks and bodykit for $10k on Kingsway.

Here's are my main issues preventing me from walking down to the bank:

1. The biggest one. I'd have to resort to my LOC which is at 5%. Estimate interest would be about $1,700. I plan to pay it off in 2 years. Probably my biggest gripe since I've always purchased a car with cash. Not happening this time as I just purchased a home. Hate paying interest.

2. Kind of related to the first point. Other option would be to finance a new car with a low interest rate. Wouldn't this be more practical and a wiser use of funds?

3. Other cars on my used car short list would include a Genesis coupe, 350z, IS 250. Not looking for FWD.

This will be strictly a summer car in addition to my DC5 with the usual bolt ons.

SO my question to the guys with S2K's, did you guys have any reservations when buying your S? FWIW, I'm looking at a NFR 2001 with 100,000 and stock. Clean history.
Advertisement
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
just buy one from the states for less money.

local guys think their s2000's are made of gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
sounds like you wanted a 50:50 front/rear balanced yet raw sports car for a while now which to this day is still sort of unmatched in its market segment...so yeah you can expect its value to hold well

you don't see people scoffing at hobbyists willing to pay good money for GT and NSX...yet they are just aged Fords and Hondas.

and it's not fair to compare values for local cars vs US imports...take into account of all the fees, rarity and the fact one left the lot 30% cheaper than its counterpart

sorry embed is a bit wonky... go to 13:50 for the closing comments

Last edited by twitchyzero; 05-19-2014 at 09:44 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
supply and demand.

things are worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

agree with above though. if you want something cheaper getting it from over the boarder is your best bet but then you have to worry about getting it inspected and registered.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Can't answer your financial questions but I had an S2000 and it was a fantastic car. The nice weather recently makes me miss it even more.

Find a good one and enjoy it.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

If you are getting a summer only car, financing a new one is not the wisest use of funds, probably the worst.
If you are set on an AP1 I think it would be wise to wait for a 2002-2003.
If you want to try a decent V6 get the 350Z
Talk to your bank, you can reduce your LOC to 3.5% or less.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I would get another S2000 in a heartbeat

Awesome car, kind of weak diffs though. Any actual hard driving will destroy the diff.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Very fun car, I have noticed prices have been creeping up over the past few years. Lot's of S2000's with history, very few clean ones left. The US has lots of rebuilds, and the clean low milage ones are not that much cheaper compared to local, but there is more of a selection across the border though. There is a nice white 04 with beige interior 2004 Honda S2000 Grand Prix White 46k miles but again it is not cheap, white seems to be the most desired color. A good time to buy an S is in the winter prices drop due to poor weather.

2022 Tacoma TRD Sport - SOLD
2020 Tacoma TRD Sport - SOLD
2017 4Runner Limited - SOLD
2014 Tacoma V6 6spd - SOLD
2012 Honda Pilot EX-L - SOLD
2006 Lexus IS250 RWD- SOLD
2003 Accord Coupe V6 - SOLD
1992 Accord - SOLD
gurdeep007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I would not hesitate to get another S2000 down the road again. It was sad selling her to get a bigger car for the family.

I rarely see any clean S2000 locally though.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
$17k for a 13yr old Honda - Crazy?
No, cause a 20 Yr old Toyota can run 25k or more..lol
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

...considering most NSXs are 23 years old and selling for $30K+, it's not crazy.

Definitely wouldn't finance, that would be the worst financial decision.
You mentioned you don't like paying interest, but you just bought a house! Do you not have a mortgage?

If it's a toy, I would save up enough to buy it outright, but that's just me. You don't know when your income level will change.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
...considering most NSXs are 23 years old and selling for $30K+, it's not crazy.

Definitely wouldn't finance, that would be the worst financial decision.
You mentioned you don't like paying interest, but you just bought a house! Do you not have a mortgage?

If it's a toy, I would save up enough to buy it outright, but that's just me. You don't know when your income level will change.

E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
I hate paying interest as well but good luck buying a house cash. Anyone whose only debt is their home is doing quite well.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Since you are planning on financing an AP1 and paying it off in 2 years, I think a better suggestion would be to just save your pennies and buy out an AP2 all in one go 2 years later. In nearly every single way, the AP2 is a superior car over the AP1. Best of all, this plan of attack is even wallet friendly.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
You say your two options are buying the car on your LOC, or buying a new one outright.. I would do neither. You're incurring a ton of extra interest, and it's just for your car that you'll insure for 2.5 months out of the year.

If you MUST purchase an S2K, at least wait* until you get a good deal so you won't lose in depreciation AND interest.

*waiting for the right car, in my mind means at least 6 months of searching
Old 05-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
99 jdm models are importable now, if you don't mind rhd you might be able to save some cash. Looks like most of them are under 1m yen which should be comfortably under 17 landed
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
99 jdm models are importable now, if you don't mind rhd you might be able to save some cash. Looks like most of them are under 1m yen which should be comfortably under 17 landed
if it costs the same as USDMs that's way too much of an hassle unless having special exterior colour, slightly higher compression/hp/tq is worth the trade up of RHD
only the JDM AP2 is neat and worthy of importing imo because it retains the rev happy F20C
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Get the AP1 with the 9000 redline and drive the balls off it!!!

Good god when my S2000 was supercharged and putting out 357 rwhp it was driving a dream... so much fun, off the charts!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat, but I won't be making a decision until next year, probably. I'm stuck between the S2K, RX8, and an S15 right now. Love and hate things about all 3 plus we're buying a new house this year ... Hoping I can talk her into leaving everything alone ... Been wanting a new car for a long ass time (only good thing about a Civic is the fuel economy) and she's got the last 2 new cars ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #20
sas

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't classify a mortgage and car debt in the same category for many reasons. Reasons that I'm not going to get into but I think most here would get it.

Thought about it some more and I guess my biggest gripe, would be the fact that I am somewhat over paying for a car that is in high demand. Honestly, sounds silly, but that's what is holding me back. That and a 2003 AP1 is hard to find in decent shape. Been looking for 2 summers now on and off. It's always been a car that I've searched in Craigs.

Some good advice here though - think I'll just wait until I have enough cash. Not too far off and hopefully in few years, the prices are more reasonable. Was really hoping to make a stupid decision lol
Stupid commision cheque caused all this!! At least I have KPRO to play with in the short term.

Last edited by sas; 05-20-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #21
sas

Quote:
I'm kind of in the same boat, but I won't be making a decision until next year, probably. I'm stuck between the S2K, RX8, and an S15 right now. Love and hate things about all 3 plus we're buying a new house this year ... Hoping I can talk her into leaving everything alone ... Been wanting a new car for a long ass time (only good thing about a Civic is the fuel economy) and she's got the last 2 new car
The RX8 is crazy affordable. Up front. If I was more mechanically inclined, I'd consider it as well.

Quote:
sounds like you wanted a 50:50 front/rear balanced yet raw sports car for a while now which to this day is still sort of unmatched in its market segment...so yeah you can expect its value to hold well

you don't see people scoffing at hobbyists willing to pay good money for GT and NSX...yet they are just aged Fords and Hondas.

and it's not fair to compare values for local cars vs US imports...take into account of all the fees, rarity and the fact one left the lot 30% cheaper than its counterpart

sorry embed is a bit wonky... go to 13:50 for the closing comments
That's a great vid. Gorgeous S2k. I'd pick the S2k, BRZ and RX8 in that order.

Quote:
Talk to your bank, you can reduce your LOC to 3.5% or less.
Yes, I'd probably need to get a secured LOC if I made the move.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
I bought my S2000 just before the season for less than half of that in the states, the car has bent valves, with a mint interior + exterior, the only downside is the fees & taxes that tag along for the ride.

For 17k, I wouldn't even consider an S2K, that's M3, STI, and cars that are newer and higher class territory.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #23
sas

Quote:
cars that are newer and higher class territory.
Hmm.. curious about this comment. What do you mean by, 'higher class'?
I don't think that part crossed my mind. You guys would put a STI or M3 above the S in terms of, 'Class'? Myself, I'd lump them together.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #24
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
S2000 is more of a sports car than an STI or even the M3.

It gets close with the M3 though but that 10 year old BMW upkeep is not fun. The S2000 will last forever if you take care of it. Super simple and easy to work on.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #25
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
Hmm.. curious about this comment. What do you mean by, 'higher class'?
I don't think that part crossed my mind. You guys would put a STI or M3 above the S in terms of, 'Class'? Myself, I'd lump them together.
STI is probably a bad example, the yester year STI's have just as spartan of an interior as the s2k haha.

It's a really objective opinion, I think the S2000 is an entry level sports car with a high mod capability, while cars like 350z's, E46 M3's, and E90/92 335i's have a stronger foundation to start with, but a higher maintenance cost with a very costly mod budget too.

Don't get me wrong, an amuse GT1 S2k is my dream car, and I'd much rather have a low maintenance vehicle with a forever running engine, than a hefty twin turbo inline 6 that costs a lot more
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote