REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Dealing with ICBC (Write off or Repair?)

Hey Everyone,

This is my first time posting on Revscene. I'm active on a lot of other car/motorcycle forums but I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. Today I was involved in a car crash in Clayton Heights, Surrey. Heres a quick summary of what happened.

I was going north bound down 192nd and as I was approaching the intersection of 72nd, a driver waiting to turn left decided to go right as I entered the intersection resulting into me crashing into him. Mainly drivers side front corner of my car went into his drivers side front end. Four of my airbags deployed and my front ends pretty banged up. I purchased the car just over a year ago and I'm worried that ICBC might try and repair it rather than write it off. That would be a nightmare for me because I don't want to loose a lot of resale value on the car...

Have any of you guys dealt with ICBC regarding similar situations? Any tips you can give me before dealing with them? My girlfriend and I both have injuries from the accident but nothing too serious thankfully. I will be contacting a lawyer who previously represented me in the morning to see if he can help me out too. I have multiple witnesses and contact numbers of people who saw everything and they all confirmed that it was 100% the other guys fault including the driver behind the guy who took the left into my line of direction.

My car is the red 2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT RS. Here are some pictures of both my car and the guy I hit after the accident. Personal opinions on whether you think my car will be a write off or not will be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot everyone in advance for the help!

Advertisement

Last edited by a.kozak; 05-19-2014 at 10:01 PM.
a.kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Since, they're the same car, are you the red Cruze or the white one?

Just from looking, the red looks repairable - white one looks like a write off...but that's my uneducated guesstimate.

It's good to hear you're alright.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
^ looks like the red one is his since its a RS model.

From my understanding if the airbags go off then its a high possibility that the car will be written off. The same thing happened to a couple of friends of mine with cars around the same year and value and damage as yours.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #4

Ah my apologies for not mentioning that. My cars the red one.. Thanks for your input inv4zn. Dang I really hope that the final outcome doesnt result in repairing the car..
Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

Thanks WolfGang! Man I really hope thats how it works out for me too. I know that the airbags raise the repair costs up quite a bit so fingers crossed!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
the red one is definitely a write off
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #7

Good to hear jpark. Hope it comes to that. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Looks like a write off to me also. $$$ that the air bags went off.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
They are almost certainly both writeoffs.

The used market for those vehicles are so bad that the cars become like disposable razors in ICBC's eyes.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Hope you and your girlfriend's recovering alright!
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #11

Thats awesome news meme405! Wasnt aware of that. Thanks for the input dn53 im hoping those airbags will confirm a write off! I appreciate your comment v__tec thanks a ton! We're both taking it easy. We'll see how our bodies feel tomorrow morning.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

hope youre alright! I got into the same kind of accident in 2010 and broke my right leg fib/tib =\
Kaolinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #13

Dang thats crazy Kaolinite! Hope you made a full recovery from those injuries!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

red looks gone to me... dash air bag went of.. apron damage and rad support prob needs to be replaced. hope you are ok OP
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #15
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Just curious; what's ICBC saying regarding fault?

Anyway, both cars look totalled in my opinion.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #16
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
hm.

what was the the replacement cost of your car? icbc also looks at the percentage of the cost to repair against the replacement value of the car. a base model like that white service loaner may have been very cheap to begin with vs. your model which could be a fully loaded premium model that is more expensive, even though the damaged parts are the same between both cars.

do you have limited depreciation coverage? that may force icbc to use only new OEM parts which can significantly push up the repair cost and work in your favor. if not, icbc could try to use used or non-OEM jobber parts instead to be cheap.

i see a hazmat spill under your car. was it coolant or oil? if oil a damaged engine can also be a potential writeoff factor.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

Its going to be hard for anyone here to give you an accurate answer. Last year my uncles mazda pick-up was rear ended by a f350 and was launched into the car infront of him. there was ~$10k damage to a truck he paid ~12k the year before and they wouldn't right it off. no matter what he said they wanted to fix it.
Traverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Ask xxsupa about ICBC write offs, his Chrysler sebring was in so many 5000-10000 dollar accidents (I think the count was 4?) and ICBC refused to write it off. So as much as I want to say no worries it looks bad enough to write off, you never know. Good luck and recover soon eh
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Once the body shop has had a look at it you can try to push them for a write-off if it's close to the threshold that ICBC allows. I think it's 80% of current market value.

Do you have new vehicle replacement coverage or limited depreciation coverage?

ninja edit: just read that 4 airbags deployed in your car. That should write the car off.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #20
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

I think you need to get your numbers together in case they write the car off. See what the cars are selling for both privately and at the dealers. Same model etc. You do not want them to rip you off. You need to have paper on this.

I am able to see cars at ICBC salvage and there are cars with less damage as yours that are written off.

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031

Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday

We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #21

Wow, thanks a ton for all the replies everyone!

Regarding your question dared3vil0, I haven't spoken with ICBC or made a claim yet. I talked to my lawyer this morning on the phone and he advised me to come in first thing tomorrow morning and he will represent me and do all that. As soon as I hear more from ICBC I will make updates.

Thumper, I do not believe I have limited depreciation coverage but I'll double check. I couldn't get out of the car in time before they put down the hazmat but I did see some coolant dripping down on to it before leaving.

Overseas Auto 1 thanks for the advice! I'll definitely put together some numbers on the going rate for my vehicle on the used and new market and print out all of that incase it becomes an argument.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
looks like both are write offs.

after the cost of labor and parts.. itll easily be a good portion of what the car is worth.

I am skeptical ICBC will grant repair for both units.

Glad everyone is okay though. Really shows how strong modern cars are nowadays in crashes.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
If you have new car insurance(limited depreciation, gap insurance, whatever they call it) there's a high chance they will write it off.

Happened to my dad's Genesis coupe when he was sandwiched between two cars. They were going to fix it, but we negotiated a writeoff instead. ICBC generally will listen to what you have to say, if your adjuster is good, will try to accomodate your wishes.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #24
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Both look like write offs to me.

As Kuno mentioned, my Sebring was never written off because it was a convertible, so it held more value than a regular sedan. And although it was involved in 2 serious accidents ($10,000+ each), the airbags never deployed. If the airbags deployed, there is a much greater chance that it will get written off.

Edit: After searching up the market value of 2012 Chevrolet Cruzes, both are definitely write offs. Repair cost for both cars will be $10,000+ FOR SURE, likely more. After accounting for salvage value, ICBC should save money by writing it off.

Even if they don't end up writing it off, I'm sure you can discuss the situation with them and ask them to write it off for a lesser value. Re-selling that car in the future is going to be impossible if it gets repaired.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD

Last edited by xXSupa; 05-21-2014 at 09:58 PM.
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #25

Great to hear that most of the replies to this thread are leaning towards a write off for both vehicles! Thanks for the info EvoFire and xXsupa. Thats good to know that ICBC is negotiable and willing to consider any requests I have regarding writing off the vehicle if it makes sense value wise.

I met with my lawyer this morning and he called in my claim sometime in the afternoon. He is certain that ICBC will be quick with letting me know whether the cars a write off or not so ill update everyone on the final verdict within the next few days (Monday at the latest).

Big thanks to everyone here who replied to my thread! I learnt a lot of useful information and it definitely put me more at ease to have some hope of a possible write off just on your opinions. Revscenes a great community! Ill definitely continue to post on this forum and become an active member.