REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Long weekend campers leave horrible mess behind in B.C. campground (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695384-long-weekend-campers-leave-horrible-mess-behind-b-c-campground.html)

PeanutButter 05-20-2014 03:42 PM

Long weekend campers leave horrible mess behind in B.C. campground

This really grinds my gears

Quote:

CALGARY- Those who live in a stunning area in southeast B.C. are outraged after long-weekend campers left a huge mess behind.

Piles of debris, garbage and chopped-down trees were discovered in a campground near Koocanusa Lake, next to the town of Fernie. When the long weekend wrapped up, empty beer cans, leftover food and even clothing littered the grounds.

The mayor of Fernie says it’s part of an ongoing problem.

“There is a constant lack of respect for our land,” Mary Giuliano complained. “Noise, tearing up and down with ATVs, using chain saws to chop down trees, loud music till six a.m., and then leaving behind what you see in the photos. Many times large pieces of old furniture is also left behind.”

It’s believed that campers from Alberta are responsible, due to license plates seen in the area.

“This truly is unacceptable and is giving all visitors but especially those from Alberta a negative status,” Giuliano added. “I know that most of our visitors appreciate coming here and show respect. However, the ones that do not are causing a great deal of angst.”

Giuliano says Area B director Heath Slee has organized a gathering of people to tour the area and clean up the garbage.

Fernie is located about 300 kilometres southwest of Calgary, and is a popular destination for Albertans year-round.
More pictures in the link
Long weekend campers leave horrible mess behind in B.C. campground | Globalnews.ca
http://vipmedia.globalnews.ca/2014/0...2&h=448&crop=1

LightKeeper 05-20-2014 03:44 PM

Amazed how people literally don't give a crap about our environment. :heckno:

(including me sometimes, but this looks awful)

multicartual 05-20-2014 03:51 PM

“Noise, tearing up and down with ATVs, using chain saws to chop down trees, loud music till six a.m., and then leaving behind what you see in the photos. Many times large pieces of old furniture is also left behind.”

Albertan campers know how to fucking party

Brianrietta 05-20-2014 04:04 PM

This is the crap that I see every time I go out in the bush to camp. Happens everywhere. Every time I go out camping in the wild somewhere I end up bringing back a garbage bag full of other people's crap in addition to my own. Sad. In the past four years the Four Wheel Drive Association of BC has pulled out over 90 tons of crap just from West Stave. Last year's cleanup run took out 52,888 pounds of garbage, 2,794 pounds of metal and 374 pounds of tires by the efforts of 84 volunteers, 3 dump trucks and one backhoe.

Remember all, if you ever see someone dumping in the bush or driving down an FSR with a couple of couches or something, mark down what info you can and then call it in or report it. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) This shit has to stop. We live in one of the most gorgeous places on Earth and we have to do our share to protect it.

Retrac 05-20-2014 04:08 PM

My goodness, what happened to common courtesy? Was always taught to leave only footprints when you enjoy nature.

gdoh 05-20-2014 04:12 PM

what a bunch of pigs

Great68 05-20-2014 04:16 PM

The best thing to happen to one of my favourite camping spots here on the island was charging $10 a night and assigning a camp host.

Keeps the fucking pig yahoos out, and respectful happy campers in.

subordinate 05-20-2014 04:27 PM

Looks like a good party..... :toot:

But seriously, I agree they should have brought that shit out with them.

320icar 05-20-2014 04:55 PM

Must have been revscene members from the Paul walker meet

Mr.HappySilp 05-20-2014 05:36 PM

We complain about people from Chain peeing and pooing in public and in malls and then this.... seems we aren't much better than they are lol.

But this looks bad. Soon we will see spy cams up in camp grounds.

Traverse 05-20-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8474273)
“Noise, tearing up and down with ATVs, using chain saws to chop down trees, loud music till six a.m

I did all of these things this weekend camping, we even had couches by the fire. But we always bring our shit back. We don't use camp sites more just a bare spot in the woods with a fire pit so there's really never anyone to annoy, and the ones that were around were having just as much fun as us. We visited every other site around and most of them stopped by ares for a beer.

i really don't understand why people do this. it took us 5 minutes to pick up any garbage and 2 seconds to put the cans in a bag when there empty. or just do what everyone else does and burn your boxes, plates and other garbage as you use it.

multicartual 05-20-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traverse (Post 8474317)
i really don't understand why people do this.

hangover

if you've been partying to 6 am then slept shitty, woke up with a hangover at noon and you had to drive home still, plus you had to work tomorrow, the last thing you're going to think about is cleaning up

Traverse 05-20-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8474322)
hangover

if you've been partying to 6 am then slept shitty, woke up with a hangover at noon and you had to drive home still, plus you had to work tomorrow, the last thing you're going to think about is cleaning up

trust me we all had a hangover, and one of us had a plane to catch. its no excuse. the clean up was first thing we did Monday morning. a shitty sleep and hangover are part of camping

PeanutButter 05-20-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

hangover

No, that is piss poor excuse.
This has everything to do with their character and the type of person they are.

I've been camping with tons of people who don't drink very much, who get tons of sleep, but when it comes to packing up and leaving, ie. taking down tents and cleaning up, they just sit on their ass because they either don't give a shit or they are a lazy piece of shit.

It's character. Nothing else.

LightKeeper 05-20-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8474342)
No, that is piss poor excuse.
This has everything to do with their character and the type of person they are.

I've been camping with tons of people who don't drink very much, who get tons of sleep, but when it comes to packing up and leaving, ie. taking down tents and cleaning up, they just sit on their ass because they either don't give a shit or they are a lazy piece of shit.

It's character. Nothing else.

Some people don't understand the idea of camping.
They think it's all fun and games.

But it's about being self-sufficient, prepared and responsible to the environment around the wilderness.

When you're ill-prepared, that's when disasters happen.

multicartual 05-20-2014 07:38 PM

I can't believe you people would discriminate based on cleanism, what bigotry.

These party people are self-medicating and simply being irresponsible with the aftermath of liquor consumption; we shouldn't judge them for it.

PeanutButter 05-20-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightKeeper (Post 8474367)
Some people don't understand the idea of camping.
They think it's all fun and games.

But it's about being self-sufficient, prepared and responsible to the environment around the wilderness.

When you're ill-prepared, that's when disasters happen.

I'm not just referring to camping etiquette. At the end of the day it comes down to being a lazy ass mother fcuker. This translate to their everyday lives.

You know, that friend who will no never go the extra mile for you, who will never bother to help you clean up after a party, or will not lift a finger to help you do anything.

EmperorIS 05-20-2014 08:03 PM

They don't teach decency and responsibility in school....not in North America at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightKeeper (Post 8474274)
Amazed how people literally don't give a crap about our environment. :heckno:

(including me sometimes, but this looks awful)

its not about the environment its about picking up yourself so its not someone else's problem.

LightKeeper 05-20-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8474373)
I'm not just referring to camping etiquette. At the end of the day it comes down to being a lazy ass mother fcuker. This translate to their everyday lives.

You know, that friend who will no never go the extra mile for you, who will never bother to help you clean up after a party, or will not lift a finger to help you do anything.

Exactly my point, that friend will suffer if he ever goes camping alone and in the long run their lives.
It just shows in their personality.

GabAlmighty 05-20-2014 08:50 PM

Welcome to Harrison

StanleyR 05-20-2014 09:25 PM

Looks similar to the mess up north in the Alberta tar sands

Mr.Money 05-20-2014 09:52 PM

Looks like how fucking trailer Trash meth heads party....disgusting.

multicartual 05-20-2014 09:59 PM

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/WWGj0lLMjXM/maxresdefault.jpg

Manic! 05-20-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

hangover

Suck it up princess and learn to wipe your own ass. Were you driving on number 10 today going to the states?

Zoidberg 05-21-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8474368)
I can't believe you people would discriminate based on cleanism, what bigotry.

These party people are self-medicating and simply being irresponsible with the aftermath of liquor consumption; we shouldn't judge them for it.

I agree. Only 9-5 peasants should be judged.