REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

apl_lb I can keep an eye out for you!

If you dont mind a little advice before buying a two stroke from someone who did... twice:

- Do an arrive and drive mentioned in post #4 ($300 for the day in a 4 stroke, worth every penny)
- Check out field sizes locally in 2 stroke, they are dwindling due to high running cost

DONT GET ME WRONG: Two stroke karts are awesome! If you want to just get out on track for practice days, for fun, and don't mind wrenching.

IF you want to be competitive, learn about racecraft, and have fun racing they are a LOT of money and a LOT of effort. I owned a 125 TAG Leopard and a 125 Rotax TAG. Without a doubt in my mind I've learned more in 1 season with my 4 stroke and all the time combined with the two strokes.

Just my $0.02 though.

Rich
Advertisement
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 AM   #27
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Sounds good! I did an open practice day with a friend who brought me out, first time in any sort of race kart and had a blast. Was a 2 stroke formula k kart, I'm not looking to do this competitively. Just looking to boot around with friends so don't mind having a 2 stroke and messing around.

...btw, how do you transport your kart if you don't keep it at the GMR lockers? I don't have an SUV and was considering getting a roof rack and throwing the kart on that. Only problem is I'll need atleast one other person to help me load it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx View Post
apl_lb I can keep an eye out for you!

If you dont mind a little advice before buying a two stroke from someone who did... twice:

- Do an arrive and drive mentioned in post #4 ($300 for the day in a 4 stroke, worth every penny)
- Check out field sizes locally in 2 stroke, they are dwindling due to high running cost

DONT GET ME WRONG: Two stroke karts are awesome! If you want to just get out on track for practice days, for fun, and don't mind wrenching.

IF you want to be competitive, learn about racecraft, and have fun racing they are a LOT of money and a LOT of effort. I owned a 125 TAG Leopard and a 125 Rotax TAG. Without a doubt in my mind I've learned more in 1 season with my 4 stroke and all the time combined with the two strokes.

Just my $0.02 though.

Rich
apl_lb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by apl_lb View Post
Sounds good! I did an open practice day with a friend who brought me out, first time in any sort of race kart and had a blast. Was a 2 stroke formula k kart, I'm not looking to do this competitively. Just looking to boot around with friends so don't mind having a 2 stroke and messing around.

...btw, how do you transport your kart if you don't keep it at the GMR lockers? I don't have an SUV and was considering getting a roof rack and throwing the kart on that. Only problem is I'll need atleast one other person to help me load it.
Oh man in that case the 2 stroke will be great fun!

I own a trailer that I part at GMR and keep my kart in there. Transporting and housing the kart often a bit of an afterthought but is a major consideration! IF you have the space something like this is perfect if you have a small tow hitch:

I have seen people with karts on their roof racks as you suggested which works by stripping the kart down and does look badass.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up on here and I'll definitely keep an eye out!

Rich
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #29

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
Are you guys down at Sumas very often?

noransx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
[24-01, 14:19] mk1freak lots of bdays this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9
[22-05, 23:37] norans also got a pretty douchey white hipster haircut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BOY
[27-10, 22:25] can't spell ice without ie
2014 Chevrolet Volt - Poo brown ft panel gaps - currently at 588mpg
2006 Honda CBR600RR "LaF'Honda" pronounced la-fawn-duh
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #30

I'm hoping to do a few races at Sima Raceway this year. Their schedule for the summer series is:

MAY 9 - JUNE 6 - JULY 18 - AUG 29 - SEPT 26 - OCT 10

I'd really like to make two of those.

Rich
Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
So from what I gather reading this thread the 4 stroke karting is more for your weekend warrior/just get out and have fun type of guy. Whereas the 2 stroke stuff is where the more competitive guys, and people trying to make a career in racing go?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #32
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

yes and no, the 2strokes are a mix of people yes wanting to be more serious, but some people crave the speed.

the 4 strokes r just plain awesome fun at low costs and reliable.

2strokes are always broken, need fixing, tuning, wrenching

besides, the 4 strokes offer the same amount of pain through a corner, just gives u a break down the straight

im thoroughly wiped out at the end of a day of racing in the 4strokes, mind you im not very fit like rich is
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:55 PM   #33
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Now, do they have open days where you can make your own kart with an unnecessary engine and go rip around a track?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #34

I agree with what ncrx said about 4stroke vs 2stroke, especially about it always being on the mend. The 4stroke classes currently have far more participation with up to 28 drivers one weekend last year.

Due to 2strokes being split into Rotax, Rotax DD2, Rok GP, Tag, Shifter... There are often only 2-4 drivers per class. (At the local tracks). You're right though, these classes are often filled with 14-18 year old kids who are trying to make their racing career. Which often also means BIG budges, one kid showing up last year in a helicopter that landed at the track (no joke).

320icar, all the local tracks have a 'membership' of some sort. For example Greg Moore Raceway in Chilliwack charges $500 for the year. When you buy the membership they hand you a key to the front gate. You're free to practice from 9am-9pm any day of the week accept race weekends. Some days you have to share with other drivers or minibike racers but most days I went this year we had the track all to ourselves.

Rich
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #35

I more so meant, would they allow a home built kart with a 600cc bike motor thrown in it. Or something equally home made and idiotic
Old 03-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #36

HA!!! I actually don't know.

I'd start by sending WCKC an email: Contact Us | West Coast Kart Club

Sounds like a fairly scary proposition... but fun to watch!

Rich
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #37

It's definitely a future project of mine when I get a garage space. Even got how I'd mount it all in my brainballs :P

Next time there's a race, post on here ahead of time. I'd love to come out just to spectate
Old 03-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #38
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

yah.. i couldnt imagine a 600cc kart... i think u'd have a broken leg or clavicle before the end of the day or you'd be buying a new set of tires by lap 5

the biggest bikes at the track are 250cc..
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #39
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
interesting discussion on the 2stroke vs 4stroke

actually planning on getting one to just play with friends (apl_lb) / practice - nothing competitive

looking at used karts

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post

actually planning on getting one to just play with friends (apl_lb) / practice - nothing competitive

looking at used karts
They are a LOT of fun, especially for just bombing around now and then.

If you're looking into used karts I highly recommend a Rotax kart as are the cheaper option per minute and less wrenching.

With a new Rotax 125cc engine coming out there should be a few more for sale in the next while.

Rich
Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 AM   #41

Quote:

looking at used karts
I was just down at SIMA last weekend to pick out my kart. They had a bunch of karts for sale when I was down there.

If you're looking to bomb around in something, this would be a good option:

Italian Motors USA ? (Local sale only) 2008 Italkart Supersonic w/ Fresh X30

The X30 and Leopard motors are the newer ones that guys in the higher classes usually run. I'm sure you could work out a deal with them to swap in an older motor to cut the costs down.

I just bought the 2015 Rapido V with a Leopard and my friend is looking to pick up the 2014 Rapido sometime soon. I was very impressed with the little paddock they had setup there. Very professional group of people and they run a very tight ship. Can't wait to head back down!

noransx
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noran View Post
I was just down at SIMA last weekend to pick out my kart. They had a bunch of karts for sale when I was down there.

If you're looking to bomb around in something, this would be a good option:

Italian Motors USA ? (Local sale only) 2008 Italkart Supersonic w/ Fresh X30

The X30 and Leopard motors are the newer ones that guys in the higher classes usually run. I'm sure you could work out a deal with them to swap in an older motor to cut the costs down.

I just bought the 2015 Rapido V with a Leopard and my friend is looking to pick up the 2014 Rapido sometime soon. I was very impressed with the little paddock they had setup there. Very professional group of people and they run a very tight ship. Can't wait to head back down!
Awesome info Noran!!

I did some arrive and drive events a few years ago with Italian Motors and even owned a Leopard 125 for a while, they are a great family and put together a great facility in Sumas!

I'm really looking forward to doing some racing at SIMA this year!

Rich
Old 04-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #43
The Speed Syndicate

interesting, are most of these karts ready to be driven?

i dont know much - so just looking for something to drop in and have fun -

kinda want to get this one - 2013 CRG Road Rebel- ROK GP Engine Package

but no idea if its 2stroke or 4stroke lol

tbh have not even deecided which i want

Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #44

Yep. All of the karts for sale at Italian Motors are prepped and ready to be driven. IM has a shop on Clark Street as well as on site at the track in Sumas so it's convenient for me as I can bounce my way from shop to shop for servicing if I need to. They have a tremendous set of resources and offered the best package including driver development, which is why I chose them.

Judging by Get into a Pre Owned 2 Stroke Kart Now it looks like the ROK GP is a 2-stroke engine.

http://theracelab.com/index2.php?pag...emart&Itemid=1 Pretty hefty replacement cost though. I'd be about 5hp down on you with my leopard, but mine also costs 1/2 the price.

Regardless, if the motor has low hours on it and the price is in CAD, you're essentially paying for a full package for the price of a new motor. Seems like a competitive package if the chasis is clean.

noransx
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #45
The Speed Syndicate

Quote:
Yep. All of the karts for sale at Italian Motors are prepped and ready to be driven. IM has a shop on Clark Street as well as on site at the track in Sumas so it's convenient for me as I can bounce my way from shop to shop for servicing if I need to. They have a tremendous set of resources and offered the best package including driver development, which is why I chose them.

Judging by Get into a Pre Owned 2 Stroke Kart Now it looks like the ROK GP is a 2-stroke engine.

http://theracelab.com/index2.php?pag...emart&Itemid=1 Pretty hefty replacement cost though. I'd be about 5hp down on you with my leopard, but mine also costs 1/2 the price.

Regardless, if the motor has low hours on it and the price is in CAD, you're essentially paying for a full package for the price of a new motor. Seems like a competitive package if the chasis is clean.
very tempted with the 2013 2stroke from racelab..

damn

Old 04-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #46

If you've never driven a two stroke kart before you'll have a blast in it - give it a go. After my first experience in one last week I fell asleep right when I go home, and I was only in the kart for an hour. It's incredible how fast they are in every aspect. They put a ton of strain on your neck through the corners, nearly sucked the wind out of me under hard braking since I wasn't expecting that kind of performance, and the acceleration is addicting.

noransx
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #47
The Speed Syndicate

Quote:
If you've never driven a two stroke kart before you'll have a blast in it - give it a go. After my first experience in one last week I fell asleep right when I go home, and I was only in the kart for an hour. It's incredible how fast they are in every aspect. They put a ton of strain on your neck through the corners, nearly sucked the wind out of me under hard braking since I wasn't expecting that kind of performance, and the acceleration is addicting.
yea ive driven a handful of 2strokes in the past in asia and twice at F440

would definitely help me improve laptimes in lotus

Old 04-05-2015, 11:31 PM   #48
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
interesting, are most of these karts ready to be driven?

i dont know much - so just looking for something to drop in and have fun -

kinda want to get this one - 2013 CRG Road Rebel- ROK GP Engine Package

but no idea if its 2stroke or 4stroke lol

tbh have not even deecided which i want
If you have patience and want to save a little bit of money, you can build your own race kart. You will learn a lot about karts and set-up. All you need to start is a frame. Then you can build it using pretty much any kart part you'd like. I built my own using a TonyKart Xtreme frame about 5 years ago. Lots of fun.
amusegt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #49

ROK GP is a 2 stroke similar to a Rotax engine, both use the 'power valve'. The ROK has more power than the rotax engines and usually turns faster lap times.

I believe the ROK has somewhere around 32 hp with a 15,000rpm rev limit.

Before buying a kart I highly recommend going to test one out!!! You can do arrive and drive's in any kart if you do some research and speak to local vendors like BBR, Racelab, or Italian Motors.

If you're thinking about getting into kart racing it is definitely worth going out to a race weekend, walking around the pits, watching some races and speaking to people who are running in the class you're interested in racing.

Upcoming races locally:
April 10 - April 12 SIMA Raceway NorthWest Gold Cup
April 25 - April 26 WCKC Race Weekend #2 at Greg Moore Raceway

Rich
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #50

I may be heading down on Saturday and Sunday mornings to watch if anyone wants to meet there. Might bring a few friends down as well.

noransx
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: