REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Referral to responsible drivers program (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695511-referral-responsible-drivers-program.html)

TMT 05-25-2014 06:50 PM

Referral to responsible drivers program

Hello RS,

Wrote a paragraph but decided to make notes for your viewing preferences. I'm helping out my uncle who doesn't speak english and I've never had an issue with D&D.

-Uncle got suspended for having 2 beers in his system last year
- Faced the consequences (Paid fines and prohibition)
- Got pulled over recently and was told his licenses was canceled (which confused him because he thought it was over and done with)
- Doesn't speak English so he didn't understand his terms was to also join the responsible driver program.

1) What exactly is the RDP? Do you get your licenses immediately after you register or do you have to complete it?
2) How effective would it even be for someone who doesn't speak English
3) What generally qualifys for reconsideration of the RDP?

Thanks for your time.

dared3vil0 05-25-2014 08:12 PM

Need more clarification on "license was cancelled"

Cancelled as in he never got a license back after his suspension for DUI, or cancelled as in prohibited from driving and license was seized?

TMT 05-25-2014 08:17 PM

He was suspended got his licenses back.

Spidey 05-25-2014 08:26 PM

That doesn't make sense. He shouldn't have gotten his licence back if his licence was suspended and subsequently cancelled. And yes we need more details. I am assuming he told you he had 2 beers but you didn't actually see him only have 2 beers. I say this because if he only had "2 beers" he wouldn't have blown anything more than a WARN, which is only a 3 day suspension and 3 day impound. So a) you need to tell us the whole story regarding what kind of suspension he got, an Immediate Roadside Prohibition or a Criminal Code Impaired Driving conviction; or b) he needs to tell YOU the truth, so you can accurately help him out.

TMT 05-25-2014 09:37 PM

Ya tha part doesn't make sense. But could it he may have got his d/l back and ICBC noticed be didn't complete the program so they canceled it? He got a 90 day prohibition and a 30 day impound. After that he went and got his dl back. And thought it was over with. And then recently got pulled over saying his d/l is canceled? We just want to clear his d/l. Is the program mandatory for all people who get caught drinking and drinking? Or is it only for serious or repeat offenders? It's his first driving offence ever

sho_bc 05-26-2014 06:50 AM

So your uncle is lying at least once to you. You don't get a FAIL reading with only 2 beers (unless he failed or refused to provide a sample and got a 90 Day Prohibition that way). Secondly, did he go and renew his licence at a Drivers Licencing Center or just start driving after the 90 days? Cause they wouldn't have re-issued his DL without explaining what he needed to do/having completed the necessary steps first.

As for the rest of your questions, time to Contact ICBC

meme405 05-26-2014 09:52 AM

TO be fair, uncle could be a midget that weighs like 80lbs, in that case maybe he did blow a fail after 2 beers.

:concentrate:

sho_bc 05-26-2014 09:59 AM

On my sfst course, several 90lbs, 5ft nothing girls drank 16oz of vodka in an hour and a half and the highest any of them blew was 110mg%. 2 beers will not make you blow a fail.

zulutango 05-26-2014 12:56 PM

I think I know them girls...from Surrey, right? :hotbaby:

nabs 05-26-2014 12:59 PM

You need to apply for, pay for and complete the RDP before applying to get your license back. The classes are all in english, so if he doesn't speak or understand english i guess he is SOL. It consists of defensive driving classes in a classroom setting, I cannot remember how long it is, its probably like 6 weeks long, once a week or something.

I had a friend go through it and that's all I can remember about it. It doesn't sound like they would make him take the RDP if he only had a couple beer in his system. It must have been a lot more than that, and probably caused some havoc on the road such as an accident or something.

Spidey 05-26-2014 07:44 PM

wait wait wait.... did he have his Chinese DL seized? or was it a BCDL.............. ...........

TMT 05-26-2014 09:08 PM

Thanks nabs. We can delete this thread now.
Contacted ICBC and RDP
-Required to register for program
-Once registered I think they will allow him to get reassigned his D/L

Brad Fuel 05-28-2014 05:53 PM

This is a LIKELY scenario of what happened:

-Driver got caught with alcohol in system. Likely a 30/90 day IRP under the MVA. If it was Crim Code this scenario would not work

-Driving prohibition ended

-Went to get his licence back. ICBC issues him his licence and tells him to get a few things done such as register for RDP, get an Ignition interlock and whatever else is on their list

-A month passes and he did not complete what he needed to do so ICBC "Cancelled" his licence. It's just cancelled, he's not prohib, it's just the same as driving without licence. He probably wouldn't even know that it's been cancelled until he gets pulled over or actually reads his mail.