REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:36 AM   #51
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
i hear real psychics are really expensive.

i have a friend i regard as a super high IQ super smart guy. he told me he had a psychic before and i laughed. he said he laughed too until he found a good one.

u gotta understand this guy has a lot of money, millions, and he likes to just test things out in life. so he got interested in psychics and went to as many as possible. he said they were all generally the same. like reading an astrology thing or something. very general things that could be applied to anything.

but he was referred to a psychic that cost 50k for something like once a week? month? for a year he got to talk to her (over the phone) for 2 hours or something.

i was just like yeah ok whatever. what a complete waste of money, but he had records of recorded conversations and notes he was secretly writing and recording as they spoke.

man... i duno. i went from a non believer to a half skeptic after that.

some examples would be like knowing very specific information such as names and locations and past history.

He even tested her by making stuff up and she knew.

i duno. i can be a skeptic and say he lied... or that it was some setup or some shit.... but i duno what to think any more.

after 2 years she raised the prices of her services exponentially, and my friend stopped subscribing.

who knows man.

he stopped perusing this hobby because he said even if they were accurate, they weren't telling you anything new. it was just as if they could get into your head and know what you knew. like some kinda magic trick. in the end it's just like wow, that's amazing... but i didn't get any new info. and you paid a butt load of money for someone just to tell you what you already knew, except you didn't expect anyone else to know.

it's like paying to be amazed. at most pragmatic use, it's just another entertainment service at the end of the day.

anyway, if you go to a good one, prepared to shell out money. i wish i had a contact to give you, lol. you could be the second guy to verify this shit.
Advertisement

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 05-30-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #52
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
honestly.. different people have different ways of coping. obviously not everybody agrees with which way is the best.

like some people will turn to religion. i'm not religious, but if a friend went through this, who am i to tell him that he shouldn't reproduce because he's relying on religion as a prop to keep him up?

i don't see this as any different. i don't believe in any sort of psychic or paranormal shit, but if you do and you think it helps, then yeah go for it.
i can tell you WHY i don't believe in that stuff, with evidence and such, but at the end of the day, its still your life and your choice. no need to resort to harsh words like go kill yourself or whatever when someone is already obviously going through a tough time.

tl;dr live and let live.

to op: there is completely no scientific basis for psychics. most, if not all, use general assumptions as well as psychological cues to make their 'predictions'. i have not yet seen any concrete evidence that psychics exist. i do advise you see a counsellor though. they do help and can often open up your mind about tough problems you can't get through. seeing a shrink doesn't mean you're crazy.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #53
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I've been to psychics with friends and one was pretty good, but what made her "good" was that she gave me things to think about. She took a counsellor's approach and called herself a "spiritual advisor". She also told me what I wanted to hear. Half of it didn't happen, things that weren't in my control, but the things that were in my control I was able to make happen, here's how: I went to a counsellor, who helped me to make those things I wanted a reality. The counsellor was cheaper than a psychic and I got way more out of it. She also didn't tell me things that I wanted, she asked me the right questions and helped me to formulate a solid plan to make things happen, not just wait for prophecies to fulfill themselves.
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #54
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,807 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
i hear real psychics are really expensive.

i have a friend i regard as a super high IQ super smart guy. he told me he had a psychic before and i laughed. he said he laughed too until he found a good one.

u gotta understand this guy has a lot of money, millions, and he likes to just test things out in life. so he got interested in psychics and went to as many as possible. he said they were all generally the same. like reading an astrology thing or something. very general things that could be applied to anything.

but he was referred to a psychic that cost 50k for something like once a week? month? for a year he got to talk to her (over the phone) for 2 hours or something.

i was just like yeah ok whatever. what a complete waste of money, but he had records of recorded conversations and notes he was secretly writing and recording as they spoke.

man... i duno. i went from a non believer to a half skeptic after that.

some examples would be like knowing very specific information such as names and locations and past history.

He even tested her by making stuff up and she knew.

i duno. i can be a skeptic and say he lied... or that it was some setup or some shit.... but i duno what to think any more.

after 2 years she raised the prices of her services exponentially, and my friend stopped subscribing.

who knows man.

he stopped perusing this hobby because he said even if they were accurate, they weren't telling you anything new. it was just as if they could get into your head and know what you knew. like some kinda magic trick. in the end it's just like wow, that's amazing... but i didn't get any new info. and you paid a butt load of money for someone just to tell you what you already knew, except you didn't expect anyone else to know.

it's like paying to be amazed. at most pragmatic use, it's just another entertainment service at the end of the day.

anyway, if you go to a good one, prepared to shell out money. i wish i had a contact to give you, lol. you could be the second guy to verify this shit.
The possibilities are:

-Your friend is just pulling your chain. I don't know the guy, and even if you do, he could still be playing a trick on you

-It's even more deceptive than that - he and this girl are trying to scam you. Convincing you that she is legit, maybe you'll pay her $50K or whatever

-He's the one being duped. She knows this stuff about him already, through a friend of a friend or whatever

-He's just embarrassed that he got scammed so bad, and is saving face by making it seem like she was legit, but it was his choice to stop since he wasn't benefiting from it. Most likely he paid her tons of money, found out it was bullshit too late, and eventually cut ties

My money is on the last option
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
Why so harsh? "go fuck yourself"?

The guy is asking if anyone knows a good psychic. He's not asking your opinion on whether psychics are garbage. And why is he selfish? Because he wants to go see a psychic. How is that selfish? I'm confused.....You are being ignorant

I don't believe in psychics but unless you are GOD himself or have the answers to life and everything in it you can't say someone is stupid for believing in something.

Revscene is too much sometimes. The guy lost someone in his family. Some of you guys have constructive criticism like seek a counselor etc which is great advice. Or talk to family members

The rest of you fools telling him to fuck off and never reproduce need to get a life and grow up. Go outside and get off your computers, and be more open minded.
lol...that first bolded part is hilarious
so unless im god i cant have a critical and skeptical approach to thinking? its thinking like that is holding back society as a whole

there's "open minded" and "believing in magic/fairys/dragons/etc". pick one
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #56
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
you're a libra aren'tcha!?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #57
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
lol...that first bolded part is hilarious
so unless im god i cant have a critical and skeptical approach to thinking? its thinking like that is holding back society as a whole

there's "open minded" and "believing in magic/fairys/dragons/etc". pick one
At least now you are talking properly. "Go fuck yourself, you are selfish" made no sense. Have a critical and skeptical approach but Explain your reasons and your evidence and that's fine. You were putting OP down for possibly believing in something. I was just saying you can't have all the answers.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
I have a family member who says he can hear "voices". He spent a few months in London, living in an apartment that used to be part of a mental hospital, and he would refuse to stay home by himself unless his gf was also there.

I also have a co-worker who practices reiki, and she says that she can see auras around people. We call her the witch!

Believe what you want, but these are "gifts" I would rather not have!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #59
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have a family member who says he can hear "voices". He spent a few months in London, living in an apartment that used to be part of a mental hospital, and he would refuse to stay home by himself unless his gf was also there.

I also have a co-worker who practices reiki, and she says that she can see auras around people.

Believe what you want, but these are "gifts" I would rather not have!
these "gifts" are mental illnesses.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #60
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
At least now you are talking properly. "Go fuck yourself, you are selfish" made no sense. Have a critical and skeptical approach but Explain your reasons and your evidence and that's fine. You were putting OP down for possibly believing in something. I was just saying you can't have all the answers.
if you believe in this bullshit i don't have any responsibility to explain shit to you or op.

i will flame you as much as i want just like i would an idiot who believes that a psychic is looking out for them in any fashion. for others to imply that the "good psychics" are the expensive ones sounds like a goddamn plug for a psychic.

the ability of people to scam other people is phenomenal. if you want something to believe in, believe that people are capable of terrible things for money.

when you actively walk around like a goddamn mark don't come crying when it all goes wrong.

you simply want someone to tell you what you want to hear. anyone with half a brain knows that's never a good thing. it's not constructive and it's not going to help.

you ask dumb questions on a public forum you'll get heat. there are ways on RS to get answers to hard questions. asking for a psychic recommendation while proclaiming some dead con artist you never met was the real deal is fucking retarded.

btw: it's selfish because he's choosing his own satisfaction over real help. it's just like hitting the bottle. i'm sure he's got some family and friends to talk to that were effected as well. and if he literally lost every.single.person.in.his.life then he's so fucking vulnerable that sending him to a fucking con artist is about as irresponsible as giving a monkey a loaded ak47.

and encouraging such behaviour makes you as guilty as the guy handing the monkey the gun.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #61
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

OP it sounds like you've lost someone close to you and it's been really difficult to process and move on. You say you've already seen therapists and it hasn't been helpful and I'm sorry to hear that you haven't found a therapist who was able to provide you the empathy and coping tools you needed to get through this difficult time. It can take time to find a counsellor who is a good "match", but it is easier than finding a legit psychic. I think the theme of the thread is that most of us are pretty sure you're going to get swindled by anyone who advertises and charges money for their psychic abilities. Obviously none of us know anyone who is a legit psychic and most of us don't believe legit psychics exist. I hope you're able to find someone who can provide you with the peace you need to move on. I'm not sure how long you have been grieving for, but it can be a long and very painful process. If going to an advertised psychic is going to bring you peace, then by all means give it a try. I'm pretty sure that a google search will provide you with better psychic resources than this RS thread. A bunch of people in this world go to church for the same reasons that a bunch of us turn to science. I'm not going to condemn someone for believing in something that I don't. If therapy doesn't work for you, but a psychic does, I don't think that's going to impact anyone negatively. Best of luck.
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #62
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The possibilities are:

-Your friend is just pulling your chain. I don't know the guy, and even if you do, he could still be playing a trick on you

-It's even more deceptive than that - he and this girl are trying to scam you. Convincing you that she is legit, maybe you'll pay her $50K or whatever

-He's the one being duped. She knows this stuff about him already, through a friend of a friend or whatever

-He's just embarrassed that he got scammed so bad, and is saving face by making it seem like she was legit, but it was his choice to stop since he wasn't benefiting from it. Most likely he paid her tons of money, found out it was bullshit too late, and eventually cut ties

My money is on the last option
nah man, i've thought through those already.

he's a good friends and a quirky kinda guy that investigates the weirdest things for sake of knowing.

he COULD be pulling my chain but i highly doubt it. he's pretty serious about this type of stuff. he has archives of other "investigations" he's done over the years.

I know it sounds whack, but i duno. the psychic story he told me was old stuff. like more than 5 years back. it was one of his older adventures. he wouldnt of been embarrassed to be scammed. he already spent so much money going to all the "fake" psychics. he doesn't care. he literally wipes his ass with dollar bills if he wanted to.
He's the type of guy that will buy a 70k stereo receiver, pack it, and fly to HK and go to his favourite stereo system store, and compare the sound by swapping out components in the store, just to verify sound. money isnt an issue. he's been swindled outta much more money and he just laughs it off.

they weren't trying to con me cuz i aint rich enough to be conned 50k LOL. it was just a story as psychics and paranormal stuff like chinese i-ching.

she didn't know anything about him. she lived across the country, they never met, and the stuff he asked her was structured to test her, stuff that no one else would know. stuff that happened the day of that he called her. stuff like that. trust me, this guy is smart. he was baffled.

trust me, this guy doesn't care about money, or face. he only cares about the truth.

like i said, i coulda been a skeptic like you, no matter what proof he has, i could be a non believer. but his proof and what i saw, and heard... i duno man.
the skeptic in me doesn't wanna believe. but i cannot deny the evidence and proof presented to me. there were no holes.

unless the psychic, had someone follow him and spy on him at the CIA level lol. which seems just as ridiculous as an actual psychic. then you're getting into CiC level thinking. paranoia, denial no matter what results are displayed.

look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicityi am a believer of Carl Jung's research, i still believe no psychiatrist has surpassed him in level of understanding these types of things.

i wouldn't rely on psychics or chinese i-ching or any of those things for real decisions, but the insight they give sometimes cannot be ignored. there's no physical proof, or scientific proof of any of that shit.

but that much can said about everything in life.

there are only really two cosmic truths:

1) everything is a paradox at some level
2) everything is recurisve/fractal like

when you're dealing with psychics and metaphysical concepts where the very burden of proof is paradoxical... there's just no point asking for proof of process. as long as the results can be replicated, that's good enough... otherwise you'll be digging deep through one way doors that lead back to the beginning, recrusive and paradoxical. there's no end to the burden of proof needed to "prove" these things.

all i gotta say is this,

if you saw and heard the evidence i did, and investigated it further... you'd stop being a full skeptic.
don't have to label this as "psychic"... but perhaps it is science, just science we don't understand yet.

like it has been said, a non believer in "god".... even if god came down and presented himself in front of a skeptic, the skeptic wouldn't believe.

there's no amount of proof that would convince the non believers.

and like i said, im only a half believer...

and the stuff i say, is not as quack and crazy as some of the stuff in quantum physics. just think about that. there are CRAZIER things being discovered by quantum physicists that cannot be explained because of paradoxical barriers as well.

wouldn't a proper scientist, correlate the two? rather than dismiss one because of it's labels such as "psychic" or "fortune telling" or whatever.

I duno what's going on, but SOMETHING more than our eyes can see is going on. and they ARE heavily correlated. that's all i can say.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 05-30-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #63
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
if you believe in this bullshit i don't have any responsibility to explain shit to you or op.

i will flame you as much as i want just like i would an idiot who believes that a psychic is looking out for them in any fashion. for others to imply that the "good psychics" are the expensive ones sounds like a goddamn plug for a psychic.

the ability of people to scam other people is phenomenal. if you want something to believe in, believe that people are capable of terrible things for money.

when you actively walk around like a goddamn mark don't come crying when it all goes wrong.

you simply want someone to tell you what you want to hear. anyone with half a brain knows that's never a good thing. it's not constructive and it's not going to help.

you ask dumb questions on a public forum you'll get heat. there are ways on RS to get answers to hard questions. asking for a psychic recommendation while proclaiming some dead con artist you never met was the real deal is fucking retarded.

btw: it's selfish because he's choosing his own satisfaction over real help. it's just like hitting the bottle. i'm sure he's got some family and friends to talk to that were effected as well. and if he literally lost every.single.person.in.his.life then he's so fucking vulnerable that sending him to a fucking con artist is about as irresponsible as giving a monkey a loaded ak47.

and encouraging such behaviour makes you as guilty as the guy handing the monkey the gun.
Lmao. Did you enjoy writing your short story? I'm not encouraging anything AND I don't believe in psychics. I was just saying to stop giving the guy such a hard time.

hot Karl and Sid vicious. The names fit. I'm guilty of what? If he wants to go to a psychic let him. Why is it our business how he spends his money. You can always voice your opinions in a nicer way no?

Actually you are right we can compare going to a psychic to shooting himself in the head. I change my mind. You are right sir! piss off

Flame me all you want. I could care less. My only intention was to tell you guys to give the guy a break since he lost a family member.

Last edited by acurael; 05-30-2014 at 12:55 PM.
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #64
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
Chow. Paging John Chow.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: