REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

1st interview at Costco

Hi guys,

I have just got my 1st interview with Costco for seasonal hiring. I was wondering if anyone knows what questions they usually ask on the interview. What should I be wearing? Is a black t-shirt and jeans ok? If this helps, the person I spoke with said I could work in the food court or in the area where I will pushing carts and folding clothes.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Strong username to match your post
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
look presentable, shave, wear dark jeans, etc. When I applied to Safeway (a long time ago..) I was an LB and i went in looking super scruffy with my pre-pubescent raggedy beard, dark jeans, and a lacoste polo with the collar popped! Got hired

Costco isn't exactly a fancy place .. just don't be awkward, notice the interviewers' breasts but don't stare for too long (it's like looking into the sun, gotta get it just right or you go blind!), know something about the company, be prepared to ask a question when they ask you if you have any questions
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Personally I would never wear t shirt and jeans to ANY job interview. Even if it was for Mcdonald's. You said this was your first interview with Costco, but is it also your first job interview ever?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Being overdressed is nearly as bad as being underdressed.

A suit should not be worn to an interview at Costco but nor should a t-shirt.

I would wear an OCBD (but any basic button down will do), dark jeans, and basic shoes.

I would also shave, have a haircut, and not wear any cologne.

Ensure you research Costco in advance and be prepared to tell them a couple facts about the company, and have a question about your prospective role with them ready to ask at the end of the interview. Arrive about ten minutes in advance. Don't arrive too early and don't try to arrive exactly on time.

They hire practically any clean cut kid with a pulse for these positions, so go in confident and prepared and you'll probably get it. Good luck!
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

usually the golden rule is don't overdress but dress above the position. my recommendation would be a dress shirt, possible tie with dark coloured fitted jeans. i find that loose jeans really kill the "casual friday" look..

shave and make sure your hair is done. try to avoid wearing piercings and cover tattoos (e.g.:long sleeve shirt for forearm tattoos). As much as we think we live in an acceptable world nowadays, employers still judge people based on looks. if you're looking to get marks, play it safe rather than play it sorry.

if asked to take a seat, sit after the other person has taken their seat. its just a respect thing and it makes you look professional

bring a copy of your resume/ cover letter to the interview. you would be surprised how many people don't. whether they take it from you or the employer has yours already, it makes you looks organized and professional.

if you're bad with names, repeat the persons name twice. its fact that if you repeat their name twice when introduced you drastically increase your chances of remembering it. e.g: employer: "hey john, my names joel". john: "joel? nice to meet you joel!"

always ask questions if your potential employer asks you if you have any questions. the worst thing you could say is no. build off of the things that your potential employer says.

always sit up straight and try to seem energetic. use your non verbal skills to better communicate to the employer. things like smiling, appropriate hand gestures, sitting straight, eye contact. you can tell a lot about somebody by there non verbal communication skills.

be on time. try and arrive at least 15min before you're interview

never bash a company (costco/ competitor), a previous employer, co-workers, etc.

try and create a quick personal relationship with your employer. sometimes this is easy and sometimes its impossible. it really depends on whether your interview is in their personal office or a random location. for example: during a quiet moment in your conversation you may notice something like: a poster. let says its of the canucks. you could say something like: you: "you must be a big hockey fan" employer: "i am!" you: "did you watch the game last night? that overtime goal was amazing". it can honestly be as easy as that. you made a personal tie with the employer and now they are more likely to remember you.

repeat things back to the employer. listen carefully to what the employer is looking for and try and relate yourself.

always research a company before your interview. look for things like: founder, motto, how many locations, in how many countries, how the company started.

these are all the things i used to look for when hiring people.

Last edited by jbsali; 05-28-2014 at 10:29 PM.
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety View Post
Hi guys,

I have just got my 1st interview with Costco for seasonal hiring. I was wondering if anyone knows what questions they usually ask on the interview. What should I be wearing? Is a black t-shirt and jeans ok? If this helps, the person I spoke with said I could work in the food court or in the area where I will pushing carts and folding clothes.

Thanks in advance.
which warehouse is it? i work at the richmond costco
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Are applications done in store or online?
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #9

costco does not have an application. go in store and drop off a resume'
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
I don't get it

costco is an awesome place to work! good luck!
evlee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post
usually the golden rule is don't overdress but dress above the position. my recommendation would be a dress shirt, possible tie with dark coloured fitted jeans. i find that loose jeans really kill the "casual friday" look..

shave and make sure your hair is done. try to avoid wearing piercings and cover tattoos (e.g.:long sleeve shirt for forearm tattoos). As much as we think we live in an acceptable world nowadays, employers still judge people based on looks. if you're looking to get marks, play it safe rather than play it sorry.

if asked to take a seat, sit after the other person has taken their seat. its just a respect thing and it makes you look professional

bring a copy of your resume/ cover letter to the interview. you would be surprised how many people don't. whether they take it from you or the employer has yours already, it makes you looks organized and professional.

if you're bad with names, repeat the persons name twice. its fact that if you repeat their name twice when introduced you drastically increase your chances of remembering it. e.g: employer: "hey john, my names joel". john: "joel? nice to meet you joel!"

always ask questions if your potential employer asks you if you have any questions. the worst thing you could say is no. build off of the things that your potential employer says.

always sit up straight and try to seem energetic. use your non verbal skills to better communicate to the employer. things like smiling, appropriate hand gestures, sitting straight, eye contact. you can tell a lot about somebody by there non verbal communication skills.

be on time. try and arrive at least 15min before you're interview

never bash a company (costco/ competitor), a previous employer, co-workers, etc.

try and create a quick personal relationship with your employer. sometimes this is easy and sometimes its impossible. it really depends on whether your interview is in their personal office or a random location. for example: during a quiet moment in your conversation you may notice something like: a poster. let says its of the canucks. you could say something like: you: "you must be a big hockey fan" employer: "i am!" you: "did you watch the game last night? that overtime goal was amazing". it can honestly be as easy as that. you made a personal tie with the employer and now they are more likely to remember you.

repeat things back to the employer. listen carefully to what the employer is looking for and try and relate yourself.

always research a company before your interview. look for things like: founder, motto, how many locations, in how many countries, how the company started.

these are all the things i used to look for when hiring people.
Looking for a job, take note of this ^. I have hired 20+ people and can't even count the number of interviews in the last few months. That is solid info! I will add:

-don't smell like cigarette smoke or that you almost drowned in Axe body spray
-if you have never interviewed google interview questions and have answers for some of the basic ones. Practice with a friend or family.
-make sure your resume doesn't have errors...especially with dates and courses you took
-don't say you can start tomorrow if you are currently working as you don't have to give notice. You are right you don't have to give notice but how you are treating your current employer is probably how you are going to treat your new one. Respect.
-don't be late your first day!
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Just be confident. Make sure you have guts like Ted.

Good luck.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Nice dress shirt, dark slacks, and decent shoes. Haircut is a must and facial hair is acceptable IF it has been well-groomed (trimmed, brushed). Remove any body jewelry (nose rings, tongue studs, etc.) if you have it. Earrings may be okay depending on who is interviewing you and type (huge ear loops, probably not a good idea. Small earring with a younger interviewer should be okay). Doesn't have to be fancy, but you want to look presentable.

Show up on time. Don't show up super early (some of my bosses HATED it when people would show up 30+ minutes earlier and then hang around awkwardly). 5-10 minutes before your interview is a good time to aim for.

Confidence without cockiness is huge. Stand up straight, sit up straight, look people in the eyes during conversations, give a firm handshake (but don't crush hands).

Knowledge about the company is a huge plus and ask questions. Highlight your strengths, don't bring up your weaknesses (even when they ask you what your weakness is, just say a strength in a condescending manner like "I sometimes get too involved in my work.")

Never talk about politics, religion, or any other devisive topic.

Bring a resume with you as well as copies of any certifications that are applicable to the job. Print it on GOOD paper and don't use ink/toner saving. Do a spelling and GRAMMAR check on it before you print it. I'd also advise not using a template or at least use a less-popular one. Some places will throw out resumes if they know it was written using a template.

Always be positive, never be negative. It doesn't matter if your previous employer was Hitler, never speak poorly of him in the interview. Don't lie, just highlight the good and tip-toe around the negatives. For example, instead of saying that your previous boss was an evil SOB and you hated working there, you could say that you learned some valuable lessons and met some very memorable people there, but you felt that it was time to move on to further your development in your career.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tch View Post
Looking for a job, take note of this ^. I have hired 20+ people and can't even count the number of interviews in the last few months. That is solid info! I will add:

-don't smell like cigarette smoke or that you almost drowned in Axe body spray
-if you have never interviewed google interview questions and have answers for some of the basic ones. Practice with a friend or family.
-make sure your resume doesn't have errors...especially with dates and courses you took
-don't say you can start tomorrow if you are currently working as you don't have to give notice. You are right you don't have to give notice but how you are treating your current employer is probably how you are going to treat your new one. Respect.
-don't be late your first day!
It's okay to start tomorrow, but make sure it's before/after your other job or on one of your days off. Let them know that you'll have to give your current employer 2 weeks notice before you can start full-time.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #15

I guess this is more personal taste, but I'd almost always choose honesty over puff-piece interviews. If you're last manager was an asshole I'd like to know. Then express why YOU made the adult choice to move careers etc.

Anyways. OP let us know how it goes
Old 05-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I guess this is more personal taste, but I'd almost always choose honesty over puff-piece interviews. If you're last manager was an asshole I'd like to know. Then express why YOU made the adult choice to move careers etc.

Anyways. OP let us know how it goes
I know for a fact that no matter how good you are, if you bad mouth past employees or other companies, even with good reasons, you won't be hired by some companies, especially if they hire a 3rd party to do their interviews.

I'd make damn sure that it will go over well before you do that in an interview, which means you'll need to know some people who know your interviewer(s).
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #17
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hi all,

Interview has already been done, it went better than I expected. Now all I have to do is wait for another phone call if I'm lucky.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
NO NO NO! Don't wait for a phone call. If you have your interviewers email, send a followup email, right now! If not, call them first thing tomorrow morning and follow up with a quick summary of why you're perfect for the position, as well as reinforce how much you want the position. Good luck!

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #19

Uhm, no no no. I work at Costco. They know if your getting the position before you even leave the interview room. Managers are hella busy and don't usually have time to take a phone call like that.

Straight up truth from an actual employee.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^yea that's what I thought. If they really need people, as long as the people they interviewed don't seem abnormal, they will hire, and the managers will know whether to hire from the get-go.

But I have heard if you don't get a phone call a week after your interview, you could follow up with a phone call
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #21
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Don't call up the interviewer but if you have their email a short note saying thank you for their time and the opportunity to interview with them might be a good idea.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #22
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
Personally for my job in merchandising, I had 3 interviews, it took exactly a week in between each one, I didn't call back or e-mail or anything, they came to me everytime
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
NO NO NO! Don't wait for a phone call. If you have your interviewers email, send a followup email, right now! If not, call them first thing tomorrow morning and follow up with a quick summary of why you're perfect for the position, as well as reinforce how much you want the position. Good luck!

ive had people i know apply where i work without telling me first. usually when asked why they want to work there, they always act as if they name drop a current employee, it automatically makes them trustworthy and gives them that extra edge to be considered. they always call back a day or two later asking how the interview went....then they call a week or two later wondering why they weren't considered...some have called back after that as well asking if they haven't yet hired someone and are still deciding, if they've been given a second look over or if they can have a 2nd interview...

usually ends up in me getting a shit talk from the foreman to personally tell the person to shut up, they're not hired, and they're becoming annoying. so if you know someone, dont drop their name, and if you do, make sure you have their permission or an okay first.

personally, if i knew in advance or know of a friend applying, ill flat out tell them, dont say my name, theres easily a 1000+ resumes for 3 positions, maybe 20 get interviews, if you make it that far, dont fuck it up by name dropping!
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #24

Maybe dropping YOUR name makes them untrustworthy
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #25

I only tell people to use my name if I know they'll be a good fit for the job. Last thing you want to be known as is the friend of the lazy fucking asshole we just hired.