REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Please help me narrow my search for tires

Hoping the RS community could help me narrow my search for tires.

I'm looking for a set of either all-season tires or summer tires in 225/40/18. The tires will go on my CSX which is my daily driver and sometimes my wife and child are in the car with me.

I do have a dedicated set of winter tires/wheels so I could be persuaded to go with a performance summer only tire set-up. What's been holding me back from a Summer only set-up was that it appears that the treadwear on summer tires are so much faster than all-seasons and I didn't want to have to replace my summers after two or three season's of use. I'd like to get at least four summer seasons out of a summer set.

Could anyone recommend a few so that I can narrow my search? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

Off the top of my head, the Continental DWS (all seasons) are decent in the summer and have a tread wear of 560.

Last edited by Gazorcoop; 06-08-2014 at 01:13 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Michelin pilot sport 3's. not crazy expensive but the best tires on the market. Costco sells em with full road hazard warranty as well
Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Edit: This post is not a direct attack @ Gazorcoop or anyone who currently owns the Ventus V12, or potential owners

No! Do not get the Hankook Ventus V12!

They are fucking the worst shit out there and do not qualify to be a performance tire! They are a touring tire and they get noisier than a jack hammer when they reach 50% tread wear! They scallop and do not wear very well once it hits the threshold. There is absolutely no performance value out of these piles of trash aside from when they are brand spanking new. They are only good for a season, especially if you are daily driving. After that, they are garbage! Ask me how I know!

Get a good set of summer tires and while you're at it, get an alignment done. It may help delay the tire wear blues.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-08-2014 at 05:30 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Ratings, reviews and specifications for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires
Old 06-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
No! Do not get the Hankook Ventus V12!

They are fucking the worst shit out there and do not qualify to be a performance tire! They are a touring tire and they get noisier than a jack hammer when they reach 50% tread wear! They scallop and do not wear very well once it hits the threshold. There is absolutely no performance value out of these piles of trash aside from when they are brand spanking new. They are only good for a season, especially if you are daily driving. After that, they are garbage! Ask me how I know!

Get a good set of summer tires and while you're at it, get an alignment done. It may help delay the tire wear blues.
Thanks for the input. I actually have only owned them for <10,000km before I sold off the vehicle, so I had no idea. Will remember this for the future!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Edit: This post is not a direct attack @ Gazorcoop or anyone who currently owns the Ventus V12, or potential owners

The Hanook Ventus V12 has its merits and that is it is a cheap/affordable tire that offers good (not excellent) grip in the rain - perfect for the rainy season in Vancouver. Pair that up with the condition of our local roads and what not, they are "acceptable" for the money and I say that strictly from a value basis.

Would I consider them a performance tire? Over my dead hipster body. But for long trips down to Seattle, Whistler and the Okanagan - sure. But again, I will emphasize that after a season or two of heavy driving, they will be noisy as hell on wheels. I can't imagine what they're like when they're really low on tread.

There are better tires out there that offer much more performance and in terms of cost. Do you need a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports? Probably not but again, you have to decide what your wants and needs are first, then make the compromises when and where you deem fit. Fuck what these Internet dweebs on Tire Rack say about the Ventus V12. They rave about them especially because they are new - again - NEW and maybe drive to school and Wal-Mart for groceries.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-08-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:

The Hanook Ventus V12 has its merits and that is it is a cheap/affordable tire that offers good (not excellent) grip in the rain - perfect for the rainy season in Vancouver. Pair that up with the condition of our local roads and what not, they are "acceptable" for the money and I say that strictly from a value basis.

Would I consider them a performance tire? Over my dead hipster body. But for long trips down to Seattle, Whistler and the Okanagan - sure. But again, I will emphasize that after a season or two of heavy driving, they will be noisy as hell on wheels. I can't imagine what they're like when they're really low on tread.

There are better tires out there that offer much more performance and in terms of cost. Do you need a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports? Probably not but again, you have to decide what your wants and needs are first, then make the compromises when and where you deem fit. Fuck what these Internet dweebs on Tire Rack say about the Ventus V12. They rave about them especially because they are new - again - NEW and maybe drive to school and Wal-Mart for groceries.
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Dukes, so what would you recommend for something that is $700-$800 for the set. Would prefer to be closer to the $700 mark.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
RS Veteran

You mentioned in your original post you either want all-seasons or a dedicated summer tire.

If you want an all-season, 320icar's suggestion on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is probably your best bet and fits your budget. My next recommendation would likely be the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (not the DW - they are a completely different tire!)

For summer tires - you have quite a few options going for you. I'll throw in a few suggestions later based on what you decide on and what your priorities are.

Edit: Your budget of $800 - does that include taxes, installation, and balancing etc?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #10

Quote:
You mentioned in your original post you either want all-seasons or a dedicated summer tire.

If you want an all-season, 320icar's suggestion on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is probably your best bet and fits your budget. My next recommendation would likely be the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (not the DW - they are a completely different tire!)

For summer tires - you have quite a few options going for you. I'll throw in a few suggestions later based on what you decide on and what your priorities are.
I've always ran an all season tire even though I have a dedicated winter set. Which is why I'm considering a dedicated summer tire this time around.

If I go with the dedicated summer tire, then I would like to have great dry and wet traction but will need to last me three or four years of driving (based on driving season of April - October). I don't auto-X or take my car to the track. I don't even do any spirited "canyon" runs. My car is basically a to/from work vehicle with occasional use on the weekend.

Last but not least, my budget constraint is $700-$800 for the set.

Have any summers in mind.

BTW, thanks again for your opinions. I don't always trust the tire shop's recommendations because I think they all have a vested interest in recommending one tire brand over the other.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
RS Veteran

$700 to $800 tops might be tough for dedicated summers so you may have to stretch your budget a bit.

Just off the top of my head and in no particular order:

- Continental ContiSport Contact (there are different variations - I can't remember which but you'll stretch your budget here)
- Continental ExtremeContact DW - this will fit within your budget
- Sumitomo HTR Z III (They might not last as long as you want them to unfortunately)
- BFGoodrich g-Force Rival - These are new and some Porsche guys track on them with great results. They should fit within your budget but may be more tire than what you want/need them for.
- Federal 595 RS-R. I believe slowguy runs/ran them on his STi both on street and track (road racing.) These will fit within your budget for sure but I'm not certain on treadwear.

Edit: Since the CSX is front-wheel drive, any of the tires above should last you 3 seasons (April - October) but it all depends on your driving style, alignment specs, suspension, and road conditions. You don't have to worry about cars like MR2s, Porsches, and BMW M cars that chew up the rears. If you have coilovers - good luck.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-08-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #12

Thanks, Dukes. I will go do some more research about the above tires.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

have a tread wear of 560.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #14

Thanks again everyone for your input. I got a good price on a brand new set of all-season Avid Envigors so pulled the trigger on those.
Closed Thread