REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Bankruptcy

A cousin of mine is bipolar and has lapses of psychosis where his perception of reality is extremely skewed. He will think he has a Ferrari and that someone stole it from him for example.

He has no savings but has a credit card and has been maxing it out and only making the minimum payment if that. As of now he's at about $3500 in debt. My aunt helped him pay off his card twice in the past and is considering doing it for a third time but I suggested that filing for bankruptcy may be an option. He's not working right now since he was just admitted to the hospital for his mental disorder.. his psychosis is so extreme that I don't think he has any concept of money management or debt.

From what I understand if he were to file for bankruptcy they would sell his assets - what does this include? He has a phone, an ipad, some headphones and clothes so will they typically take everything?

What are the negatives of this? I understand that his credit will be shit but I think that would be fine since he shouldn't borrow any money or have a credit card in the first place.

$3500 isn't a huge sum but this would be his third time so it's not a small burden for a single mom.

Anyone have experience with bankruptcy?
Advertisement
moldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
$3500 isn't worth going bankrupt for... Help him get cut off from credit cards completely, get a debit visa, and tell him to get a summer job to pay off the debt.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

If you're advising him to file for bankruptcy for $3500 then I really don't think you should try to help this guy out.

First off, no one should be helping him pay for his debts. Go big or go home. If eventually the road will lead to bankruptcy, your friend should apply for more cards, get higher limits, and max out on whatever loans he can get. Your buddy obviously has no assets to worry about.

If he really has psychological problems then it would be hard to convince him of doing the right thing like what SkinnyPupp suggested.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think it is better to:

1.Get his mom to apply public guardianship over your cousin, so he can't apply for cc by himself anymore.
2. Cut up his credit card.
3. Get his mom to pay it off the card bill.
4. Talk to a psychiatrist and get him help, either social security / disability.

If you really want to help, contribute to the payoff and legal costs. Telling him to declare bankruptcy is idiotic, but I guess that's the only thing you know.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Declaring bankruptcy over $3,500.00 in debt is like writing off your car because it has a rock chip in the windshield.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
If his debt was 20-30k and he wasn't working, then ya bankruptcy might be his best option. But since it's only $3500, his mom could probably work with a debt counsellor for him and work out a settlement with the CC company. Also, godwin has the right idea. Make sure he can't apply for anything by himself anymore if he isn't stable.

Trust me, bankruptcy for $3500 isn't worth the headache. And quite frankly, any trustee who isn't a scam artist will tell you the same thing that's been said here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:31 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
the bigger issue here is the fact that the guy needs help in so many facets of his life. first of all one should remove his credit card.

as has been said before, bankruptcy over $3.5K - are you fucking kidding me? ruin his credit for years and years over $3.5K? maybe you're the one that needs help!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote