REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Interior Designer Experiences? Recommendations? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695916-interior-designer-experiences-recommendations.html)

Wetordry 06-10-2014 01:11 PM

Interior Designer Experiences? Recommendations?

Hey guys,

We are moving into a new house in the near future and we dont have time / or the vision to furnish our place.

- Have anyone of you used an interior designer before?
- How was your experience?
- How much did it cost?

As a guy all I would do without an interior designer is just buy a big tv, matress and the rest from ikea but I know it will just look plain, dull, and boring. Looking for someone to bring in the vision (like lamps, rugs, paintings, curtains, couches etc etc)....Let me know! Any specific recommendations?

Thanks!

murd0c 06-10-2014 01:21 PM

If I were you make time to price shop and look online with your wife, it's something that will be fun to do together as well why pay for someone else to make your place look how they would like it to look.

With this internet ages its easy to shop online before going into the store so you know what you want and then haggle with the price.

chouchou 06-10-2014 02:36 PM

I have a friend who's an interior designer actually. I don't know much about it, nor do I have much experience at all - but if you would like more info, see her portfolio, and/or to speak with her directly let me know via PM and I'll be glad to put the two of you in contact!

godwin 06-10-2014 03:23 PM

I have used interior designers for commercial building projects and a few of my homes. It depends on how "near future" you are talking about. Sometimes they need quite a long lead time.

Interior designers have access to stuff you don't get at furniture store (materials and construction etc). They will do the narrowing down for you. So instead of a gagillion chairs, you get to pick from 5 eg. and you can specify the exact material that you want.

Cost wise, if you don't consider furniture shop "discounts" and Chinese crap. They are only actually about 5-10% more expensive.

The key is communication and documentation, even though you don't know your vision, you really should have general idea and write it down before you go see an interior designer. That will save you a ton of time (and money).

BTW if your house is designed by an architect, they are usually the ones that pick the colour scheme, millwork and materials and designers do the rest, so you should go talk to your architect first.

Hondaracer 06-10-2014 05:45 PM

Just steal ideas online and buy similar products

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-10-2014 06:48 PM

depends how boring you are.

if you're a square when it comes to right brained artsy stuff, get a designer.

if you're creative, then do it yourself. but it'll take time, research and a planning.
yeah like hondaracer says... if u are confident in yourself, just steal and modify.

rsx 06-10-2014 06:50 PM

Since you don't have time or the inclination, I would say just post it on CL and ask them to submit their resume and portfolio. Start vetting from there.

Kwantlen also has an interior design program, so you can go to there and put up flyers looking for help.

meowjinboo 06-10-2014 10:01 PM

you want to hire good trades. find a good contractor imo.

dvst8 06-11-2014 11:52 AM

I am planning to give these guys a call. Rates are decent as well
Vancouver Home Design Plans from Good Space | Goodspace

kiwee 06-11-2014 02:19 PM

I'm an interior designer student at BCIT and will be done this June.

Like godwin said, make sure you have all the questions you need to ask in front of you. If you only ask one question it'll be bill as an hour (depending if you are asking a Junior, Senior or Principal/registered. Pricing starts at $75+). Some designers either bill you for the whole project or by pieces (furniture, lamps, accessories etcetc).

Hiring
If you are wanting to just decorate your place: Interior Decorator or Interior Designer
If you are wanting to decorate and do millwork/construction: Interior Designer.

Also if you are hiring an Interior Designer do not refer to them as an Interior Decorator, they will absolutely hate you.

Wetordry 06-11-2014 02:55 PM

Thanks for the info so far. We are not looking for custom millwork.

Just furnishings and furniture: curtains, lamps, rugs, picture frames, vases, tables, chairs, dressors book shelfs etc etc.

PeanutButter 06-11-2014 03:25 PM

Anyone actually read the OP? Ain't no body got time for that.

Some people have the extra money lying around and little time to spend hours on the interwebz. Plus, most people don't know what the heck they're doing when they're furnishing a place. He wants the place to pop, not just look okay.

Anyone can make a place look okay, only a select few can really make that statement look. I'm just at that age where my friends are moving out and furnishing their own places. I will admit, that most of their places look okay, but none of them look fantastic.

And if you can afford not to, which I think you can, do not buy furniture from IKEA. IKEA is for people who are very budget conscious, ie. students, new families, and people who think particle board = high quality furniture...

My only recommendation is if you do get a designer, try not to clutter the place up too much. From the designers I see on TV, the rooms always look like there is too much stuff in it. I like the chic simplistic look. Good luck though! Maybe you can snap some pictures of your place when it's all said and done!

kiwee 06-11-2014 09:04 PM

I always go with this rule of mine. "Less is more"

What you can do if you want to save month is to print or use the paint program (Prefer the print way) and take the things you like from the internet and make a material/furnishing board, also known as concept board. Take whatever picture you like and then find out how much everything in total will cost you. If you like the cost, then buy the items if not start finding something different or something similar. Ex. a Noguchi coffee table is about $1600 at Herman Miller. If you think this is expensive, buy a knock off one on craigislist for less than $500.

multicartual 06-11-2014 10:00 PM

I get a ton of compliments on my place, I live in an adult fun house!!!

Design is fun. Throwing shit together and figuring out your own style over a few years is how I did it. Marinate in style and eventually you'll find your own taste!

GLOW 06-12-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8485754)

Design is fun. Throwing shit together and figuring out your own style over a few years is how I did it. Marinate in style and eventually you'll find your own taste!

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/o...7557-happy.png

Hondaracer 06-12-2014 07:36 AM

In my experience interior designers are way overpaid and just fill space with useless shit and trinkets. I'd prefer to build a functional comfortable space than just have it filled with pictures and knick knacks that clash with anything you try to add

PeanutButter 06-12-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8485754)

PICS!!!

bcrdukes 06-12-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8485524)
Anyone actually read the OP? Ain't no body got time for that.

Some people have the extra money lying around and little time to spend hours on the interwebz. Plus, most people don't know what the heck they're doing when they're furnishing a place. He wants the place to pop, not just look okay.

Anyone can make a place look okay, only a select few can really make that statement look. I'm just at that age where my friends are moving out and furnishing their own places. I will admit, that most of their places look okay, but none of them look fantastic.

And if you can afford not to, which I think you can, do not buy furniture from IKEA. IKEA is for people who are very budget conscious, ie. students, new families, and people who think particle board = high quality furniture...

My only recommendation is if you do get a designer, try not to clutter the place up too much. From the designers I see on TV, the rooms always look like there is too much stuff in it. I like the chic simplistic look. Good luck though! Maybe you can snap some pictures of your place when it's all said and done!

Give me a few weeks.

I'll show you some photos of my dining table made from recycled Italian espresso machines and chairs that are actually old cherry tree stumps. You'll love it. :hotbaby:

meowjinboo 06-12-2014 06:56 PM

I dont think most people on RS know what a true interior designer does.

Gumby 06-13-2014 09:23 AM

Jillian Harris :troll:

sdubfid 06-13-2014 09:48 AM

http://lh6.ggpht.com/legendtuner/R1N.../nsxclock1.jpg
http://slickmen.com/wp-content/uploa...-Wine-Rack.jpg
http://www.maveideas.com/wp-content/...e_s4x3_lg.jpeg
http://media.scraphacker.com/2011/12...p1-480x328.jpg
http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/images...l-Office-0.JPG

sonick 06-13-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8485880)
In my experience interior designers are way overpaid and just fill space with useless shit and trinkets. I'd prefer to build a functional comfortable space than just have it filled with pictures and knick knacks that clash with anything you try to add

+1. See: Fuck Your Noguchi Coffee Table

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8486017)
I'll show you some photos of my dining table made from recycled Italian espresso machines and chairs that are actually old cherry tree stumps. You'll love it. :hotbaby:

Fuck your dining table made from recycled Italian espresso machines :troll:

Shark Tank 06-13-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 8486620)
Jillian Harris :troll:

Full disclosure: she had a ton of plastic surgery done, has chronic smokers voice & was on bachelor reality tv show

http://i.imgur.com/yBnMgxB.jpg <---- Jillian Harris Before Surgery :heckno:

multicartual 06-13-2014 03:33 PM

She still looks good before surgery. In fact, I think I like her better.

Speed2K 06-13-2014 05:17 PM

Check out what other people are doing & copy it. :concentrate: