REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #51
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Interesting considering this came after Toyota pulls out its resources from the r&d deal with Tesla and shifting to fuel cells.
Advertisement
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #52
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Simple, there are more patents that can be filled with fuel cells eg application of graphene. Electric vehicles are being commoditized (so prices are heading down along with profit margins). You can pick and choose systems from different OE and make your own.

One aspect about patents that no one on Musk cheerleadering team on this thread seems to get is physical patents are easy to get around. Say you patent, the design of a spring, just a different spring material, another manufacturer can get around it. So you need patent lawyers to enforce the patents.

The issue here is Tesla's patents are not very strong, there are many different ways to electrify cars. I would suspect moving to 48V will invalidate quite a few of their patents. Their secret sauce is the software which is NOT released NOR open sourced.

I see it as a PR exercise and basically a way so they *hope* to get third party to make replacement parts for them.

Ulic, Skinnypup remind me of the people who pinned all their hope on Obama.. we all know how quick change come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
Interesting considering this came after Toyota pulls out its resources from the r&d deal with Tesla and shifting to fuel cells.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #53
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
I am glad to see a lot of people that usually only focus on the details of things, are finally looking at the greater whole.
I'm pretty surprised that most people think "banking" means the branch down the street that gave them their car loan and holds their RRSP for them.

I am even more baffled that people don't get what a big deal this Tesla patent thing is, in terms of how our society is changing. The old line of brilliant innovative people kept everything to themselves, and continued the status quo.. Remember how much everyone hated Microsoft and Bill Gates? Well Gates eventually turned to philanthropy, so he sort of made up for it. Jobs never did, he just lived as a rich dirty cunt for his whole life.

The new line of companies like Tesla, Google, etc, are using their money and power to make things better... These are the people who lived through the shit, and know changes need to be made. And they are getting powerful enough that they can make those changes. If Google started in the early 90's they would never have the mantra of "don't be evil". Even Facebook tries not to be all cunty.

People don't see it, but I guess this is what the 'old school' wants for the most part. Go with the status quo, don't pay attention to anything else. Enjoy the car, iphones, etc
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #54
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
you're still dabbling in the details of his patents, and like.. little details of this ordeal.

think of it this way.

If i just made a thread that said "billionaire releases all of his patents".
i don't CARE about if his patents are weak, or whatever. i dont CARE about the details.

it coulda been elon musk. it coulda been anyone else.

I ONLY care that someone did it. someone released patents, regardless of motive or patent loopholes or whatever the fuck.

I ONLY CARE that SOMEONE has taken that action. and that MORE people should follow.

i don't give a fuck if it were patents on electric cars or a self gyrating dildo or whatever.

erase all identity and labels regarding elon musk and electric cars and all the little details of this scenario.

only include "man in high position, releases patents for all to use"
THATS IT. the details aren't important. the details you guys point out are all redundant. doesn't matter why, or what.

like i said, he DID it. he pulled the trigger, when no one else would do it for ANY reason.

and you're defending physical patent laws cuz theyre easy to get around, so u need lawyers to fight...

MY POINT IS FUCK THE PATENT. if it's THAT easy to get around, it was never a fucking original idea.

NOTHING is original. everyone should be able to take whatever the fuck they want and use it for whatever purpose they god damn want.

if you wanna be greedy and label that "idea" as "YOURS" (it's not), then so be it. it's just ego and greed speaking.

if i had access to patents, i'd release them to china and russia. what the fuck are you gonna do now western world?

the reason you guys think innovation "sucks" in that area of earth is not because there's no incentive to innovate.
there are PLENTY of awesome inventions that get made and applied. perhaps MORE than here. just they cant get it patented. everyone will steal it and use it. and it becomes normalized. everyone has it. no one owns it. it's just normal. no one man or company can say "it's mine! it's special! innovation! MINE! everyone using it is a follower of me!"

fuck that. someone sees what you're doing. they take it and use it for their own. or make it better. no credit goes to anyone. no one fucking cares.

I want innovators that innovate based on the PASSION to want to improve man kind.

i don't want innovators innovating based on how much money they can make.
the greed generated by that system does not outweigh the advancement we have.

passionate inventors will invent, regardless of what reward they get. they will keep inventing even if it bankrupts them.
THEY ARE THE REAL INVENTORS. everyone else is a SHAM. just throw some money at them and tell them to get the fuck outta here!!!
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #55
I keep RS good

THAT being said, i still think innovators should get rewarded... but current patent laws are outdated. things change too fast. we need to adapt and advance faster.

my only realy gripe is, why do patent laws last so long? why not just a handful of years at MOST?

my MAIN displeasure with these laws are like elon said, they STIFLE PROGRESS.
they TOTALLY STIFLE PROGRESS and it pisses me off. and this isn't some idealistic rant.

it's TOTALLY fixable.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 06-13-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #56
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'm pretty surprised that most people think "banking" means the branch down the street that gave them their car loan and holds their RRSP for them.

I am even more baffled that people don't get what a big deal this Tesla patent thing is, in terms of how our society is changing.
Im pretty baffled that you think a currency which lost countless millions and possibly even billions of dollars of people's money is a good idea.

It's great what Elon Musk is doing, and I agree it's ushering a new wave for others to hopefully follow, but Bitcoin is garbage and has no relation to the subject of a company ditching patents.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Im pretty baffled that you think a currency which lost countless millions and possibly even billions of dollars of people's money is a good idea.

It's great what Elon Musk is doing, and I agree it's ushering a new wave for others to hopefully follow, but Bitcoin is garbage and has no relation to the subject of a company ditching patents.
Really, the currency lost money. Think about that statement. How does that work exactly?

If you lose USD or CAD getting scammed or on a bad investment, do you blame the currency?

There's so much information out there, you are either pretending to be stupid to be a troll, or are just willfully ignorant.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #58
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
foreign exchange rates lose/gain trillions everyday

Quote:
he's not ditching them...he's making them free to use "in good faith" for now

a lot of company's don't file patents on their property, and some company's share their property (open source) they should have people circle jerking in ecstasy over them then...

at how people are getting played over this
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #59
RS controls my life!

greed is what drives 99.9% of economy

its unrealistic to expect people to donate, for passion's sake, their skill and knowledge without adequate incentives

if we were to scrap patent laws, adverse selection would take over and our economic progress would suffer significantly
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #60
I keep RS good

99.8% now.

it is unrealistic to expect greedy people to do it.

but people that have become semi more enlightened and their egos deflated realise that actually, everyone is just an extension of them.

there have been countless of passionate inventors in the past that have invented things because that's what gives them energy to get up everyday. they invented shit when they were broke. they borrowed more money to invent things. for the sake of inventing things.

it's not unrealistic, it's only unrealistic if your perspective is of this lifetime. rewind time a little, there have been plenty of ages where information and knowledge was shared by all.

look at the persian empire, they were built on sharing scientific information with thousands of other nations. all the great scholars and philosophers and what not all gathered in persia to exchange ideas and learn and build on each others stuff.

only greed and ignorance brought these empires down. in fact greed and ignorance is the sole reason ALL empires are brought down.

u don't need 99% of the world to be non-greedy, u only need like 15-20%, the rest will follow.

like i said, it's a start. that's it. just a start. the foot in the door. not even. the foot, stopping the door from closing on you lol.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
only greed and ignorance brought these empires down. in fact greed and ignorance is the sole reason ALL empires are brought down.
You could say "Because Mongols". That's the tricky part of that time in history.. so much was happening, then the Mongols came and wiped everything out. It's not like there was this overall switch to their lifestyle, they just came and pretty much wiped culture off the face of the earth...

Good point though still.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #62
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Really, the currency lost money. Think about that statement. How does that work exactly?

If you lose USD or CAD getting scammed or on a bad investment, do you blame the currency?

There's so much information out there, you are either pretending to be stupid to be a troll, or are just willfully ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
foreign exchange rates lose/gain trillions everyday

I am not talking about losing money as in losing value.

I am talking about the collapse of Mt. Gox which led to the disappearance of what was at the time like half a billion dollars worth of bitcoins.

Sorry but last time my local money mart closed its doors for good, millions of dollars did not disappear off the grid with the business.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #63
My homepage has been set to RS

heres an analogy

We have the american dollar. And we have Bitcoin

We have for example: Martha's Bank-- an implementation of a bank/entity/transactional manager. But this isnt all there is to the American dollar-->this is just one bank. Of course some poor actions or management of this one bank does not mean the entire USD is faulty.

And we have Mt Gox. And like wise, this doesnt represent the entire Bitcoin protocol/system, it is just one implementation. Again, poor actions that result here does not mean the Bitcoin protocol itself is faulty.

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
heres an analogy

We have the american dollar. And we have Bitcoin

We have for example: Martha's Bank-- an implementation of a bank/entity/transactional manager. But this isnt all there is to the American dollar-->this is just one bank. Of course some poor actions or management of this one bank does not mean the entire USD is faulty.

And we have Mt Gox. And like wise, this doesnt represent the entire Bitcoin protocol/system, it is just one implementation. Again, poor actions that result here does not mean the Bitcoin protocol itself is faulty.
Yup except with MtGox, everyone found out what happened and will never have anything to do with the guy or anything associated to him. With banks, people they will keep getting bailed out, and people just keep going back, since the governments' ponzi scheme relies on them so much. With a fiat currency backed by nothing other than keeping things going in cycles and printing more and more of it, the ponzi collapses and everyone loses (ironic isn't it, that this is the point that clueless people try to make about bitcoin)

Yet they will continue to fuck people over (and I don't mean charging more fees for credit card users or giving you a high interest rate on your car loan, I mean literally ruining lives), they will get bailed out again, and the cycle continues.

Once it collapses though, look out. Some think it will happen very soon, (Peter Schiff, the guy from Young Turks), some think it'll happen eventually... Others keep themselves distracted with a shiny new phone every year and low interest car loans.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #65
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Bitcoin / virtual currency do have similarities with patents.

In the sense that all the easy patents have been taken long time ago. To get really fresh, solid patents, you have to have some real financial muscle. (Much like mining bitcoins with ASIC mining pools). eg One thing that has a lot of growth in patent applications is nano technology, however to do that one has to have at least a half decent electron scanning microscope and all the gear that goes with it. You can try to dismantle the system, I would argue there will be less scientific development, because the incentive is just not there.

Not to "look into details", science is hard, expensive and realistically only a miniscule slither of the population knows how to do it. That's what brought US in the big basic research decline in the first place. Politicians don't understand why it take decades to make smashing atoms work into a fusion generator.

Last edited by godwin; 06-14-2014 at 12:11 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #66
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Meanwhile, Elon Musk's other company, SpaceX, wont even patent their property.

If this whole Tesla thing wasn't more than a simple PR thing, Musk wouldn't have an issue either patenting SpaceX's property or releasing the information on how it all works instead of keeping it insanely secretive.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #67
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,386 Times in 5,085 Posts
^
Come on now... the guy's gotta have some fun... you want him to walk around with a post-it note on his crotch telling everyone how big his dick is too?
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #68
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The show they had was an absolute joke at Universal Studio, almost like NASA was trying to make themselves look like an agency in disarray.

Would NASA give secret info to SpaceX as part of the negotiation process? Anyways, what would ancient astronaut theorists have to say if it ever came to choosing between SpaceX vs NASA for the next big exploration? Sorry a bit of a weird question from way out there. Interestingly, it looks like other international agencies(Spain?) are releasing info Nasa should be way ahead on. Tesla cars are cool as the one I drove felt way faster than the Z06 I drove years ago. But for me SpaceX/Nasa is a way more important piece of the puzzle.
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote