REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #10901
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Just because the smaller players are successful playing in the East, you cannot assume they will be just as effective playing in the West.

Are there any rules around salaries for coaches/management? Guess not eh?
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #10902
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol i meant recently
The Bolts hit the jackpot
Kucherov, Johnson, Palat and to a certain extent Nesterov on top of an already decent core with Drouin waiting in the wings

Hell, if we have that many players peak or prospects panning out, we'd be cup contenders too.
But for every Bure we also draft 100 Schroeders and Patrick Whites
Old 05-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #10903

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Depending on how front-loaded structure of his contract is, essentially Babcock will have the highest salary on the team for the next few years
I read yesterday that he'll make between $5M-$6M each season, but there's a sizeable signing bonus paid out up front.

Guessing $5M signing bonus, $6M salary for first 4 seasons, $5.5M for seasons 5-6, $5M for seasons 7-8.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #10904

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
lol i meant recently
The Bolts hit the jackpot
Kucherov, Johnson, Palat and to a certain extent Nesterov on top of an already decent core with Drouin waiting in the wings

Hell, if we have that many players peak or prospects panning out, we'd be cup contenders too.
But for every Bure we also draft 100 Schroeders and Patrick Whites
Schroeder and Patrick White are not even remotely close. Schroeder was the 13th forward on the Wild last season; I'd say he's on par with, if not better than, Vey. And that's at age 24 coming off an injury-plagued season. Another reason why I hated the Garrison trade.

Also, it's not like any of the guys that were available that could have reasonably been drafted at 22 have been much better. Marcus Johansson, 45-point player, being the best. That would've been another 2nd-3rd line tweener to go with the rest of our 2nd-3rd line tweeners. It's not like we missed out on an elite talent.

In retrospect, Ryan O'Reilly would've been the guy to take, but #33 was considered high for him as it was (projected as a mid-late 2nd rounder). Can you imagine the shitstorm (at the time of the draft) if we'd gone off the board and taken a guy projected around #50 at #22?

Patrick White is in a 2nd tier German league in his prime.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #10905

i was generalizing, as fars i'm concerned Schroeder got lucky with the Wild.
He'll probably regress and go back to being a perimeter player next season.
Yeah, he's looking better than Vey now but it'll be years yet before that comparison can be finalized.

They're remotely close in the sense that they were wasted picks for us. To be fair though, 2007 wasn't that good of a year in terms of centremen.

I like shit storms during drafts...lol, it makes things interesting. Either other scouts missed something or they've just gone rogue. Sure, the rankings are there but beyond the first round it gets pretty murky anyways.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #10906

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
It's always easy to look back and say "Canucks shouldve drafted (enter player name)!"

... when 1-29 other teams passed over on that same player on multiple rounds as well

But we can all agree the Canucks have had a really bad track record of draft picks turning out to be busts (aside from Horvat)

Last edited by jeedee; 05-21-2015 at 10:46 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #10907
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Thought I would leave this here
Old 05-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #10908

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
It's always easy to look back and say "Canucks shouldve drafted (enter player name)!"

... when 1-29 other teams passed over on that same player on multiple rounds as well

But we can all agree the Canucks have had a really bad track record of draft picks turning out to be busts (aside from Horvat)
Those Sedin kids weren't to bad.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 05-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #10909

Speaking of drafts

I have an extra copy of this month and last month's The Hockey News.
I had the complimentary 6 months and i figured since it was such a good bathroom reader i should get the subscription but they're still sending me the complimentary ones, it's been like 8 months...not sure how long this is gonna go for so i guess the duplicates are free to anyone who wants em.

PM me if anyone wants it.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #10910
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
That's pretty obvious if you're drafted that high overall. Your scouting would have to be utter shit to goof up first overall. (Sedin's were basically 1st overall, but they came in a pair, so Canucks got them with a 2nd+3rd overall combo).

Hansen was Round 9, #287 overall.
Probably the lowest draft/best player ratio Canucks ever got.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #10911
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Babcock picking Maple Leafs was ‘family decision’ - sportsnet.ca

It all makes sense now... Babcock went to Toronto so he could have shorter seasons and longer off seasons to spend more time with his family
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #10912
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
That's pretty obvious if you're drafted that high overall. Your scouting would have to be utter shit to goof up first overall. (Sedin's were basically 1st overall, but they came in a pair, so Canucks got them with a 2nd+3rd overall combo).

Hansen was Round 9, #287 overall.
Probably the lowest draft/best player ratio Canucks ever got.
What about that guy that was drafted #1 in the Sedins' class?

He was a consensus can't miss top rank pick too. Let's face it draft picks are always a crapshoot. It's just that in today's salary cap era they are relied on to perform more than back in the day.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #10913

Quote:
I don't know about that... they seem to disappear come playoff time
Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #10914

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Nail Yakupov, Alexander Daigle and Patrik Stefan called, they want to know what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
I don't know about that... they seem to disappear come playoff time
You guys remember what so many were saying about them there first few years in the league? They can't skate, the best they'll ever be is second line players there was so much hate if you listened to sports radio. They shut most of those idiots up a few years later.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #10915

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
What about that guy that was drafted #1 in the Sedins' class?

He was a consensus can't miss top rank pick too. Let's face it draft picks are always a crapshoot. It's just that in today's salary cap era they are relied on to perform more than back in the day.
1999 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

wow what a shitty draft year, yet:

138 Ryan Miller
210 Henrik Zetterberg
212 Radim Vrbata
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #10916

Quote:
i was generalizing, as fars i'm concerned Schroeder got lucky with the Wild.
He'll probably regress and go back to being a perimeter player next season.
Yeah, he's looking better than Vey now but it'll be years yet before that comparison can be finalized.

They're remotely close in the sense that they were wasted picks for us. To be fair though, 2007 wasn't that good of a year in terms of centremen.

I like shit storms during drafts...lol, it makes things interesting. Either other scouts missed something or they've just gone rogue. Sure, the rankings are there but beyond the first round it gets pretty murky anyways.
Well, in our case, 1 of them was a wasted top 4 defenseman in his prime.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #10917

Quote:
You guys remember what so many were saying about them there first few years in the league? They can't skate, the best they'll ever be is second line players there was so much hate if you listened to sports radio. They shut most of those idiots up a few years later.
Isn't that what they are as of right now?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #10918
My homepage has been set to RS

just looking at that draft alot of former canucks are there...but yeah as blkgsr was saying that draft year was a whole lot of shit!!!

I was looking at the guy drafted right after the sedins...pavel brendl guy ripped it up in junior and then once he made it to the NHL barely played a full season all together and just sucked the big one...its true what they say tho the draft is pretty much a crap shoot. Throw some shit on the wall and see what stick I guess...
Old 05-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #10919

I hated the Garrison trade too and I hate Vey as much as the next guy here
but it's still a bit early to say we wasted a top 4 dman

If Vey doesn't improve by this season...then yup, i'd say we goofed big time. Guy needs to put on at least 15 pounds of muscle and work on his game without the puck, if he can get 40-50 pts next season that'd be fantastic.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #10920

Quote:
if he can get 40-50 pts next season that'd be fantastic.
Maybe in the AHL yeah...
Old 05-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #10921

Vey's 24 in July. +15 lbs of muscle and doubling his production seems highly unlikely, especially since Horvat has officially surpassed him on the depth chart.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #10922
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,691 Posts
Damn Botchford is writing shit again. He says that the Canucks should consider trading for Cody Franson. $5 million per year for this D-man?

Benning is not gonna get rid of Hamhuis, our best "stay at home" d-man, or Bieksa (no trade clause).

Franson is not a d-man that I would put in our top defensive pairing.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Bo...710/story.html
Old 05-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #10923
My homepage has been set to RS

^really?...I would say Franson is a top Dman for sure younger and better point producer then both hammer and juice. I would get rid of juice just to get Franson...big right hand shot can carry the pp. Rather have a point producer then juice who is getting old and is fucking up lots on the ice!!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #10924

Why would we trade for him? He's a pending UFA.

He's not a top-pair guy (well, he was in Toronto, but ), but he is a decent top 4 dman who may take a hometown discount.

Plus he's big and physical, something we're sorely lacking on the backend (unless you count Sbisa).

Trading Hamhuis would be a horrible decision. I'd hate to trade Bieksa, but he's getting long in the tooth.

I'd rather trade Miller, who is not a $6M goaltender. Lack has proven he's better (still not an ideal starter, but better than Miller for $5M less) and Markstrom has been a rock for Utica all season (including a game 7 shutout last night to advance them to the Conference Finals). It would be insane to let one of them go to keep Miller, IMO.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #10925
UFO

We would 100% need to retain some salary to move Miller, if there are even any take takers. Even then it would happen at the trade deadline imo so it would be past the decision time that Benning has set.

If any goalie will return a half useful asset it would be Lack. Miller would bring cap space for a yearish so that is an asset too I guess. I feel that lack is the guy that needs to be moved, leave Markstrom to mature under Miller for another year or two. I feel Markstrom has the higher upside if he can learn to maximize his huge frame. Canucks should consider bringing in Sean Burke as goalie consultant
Closed Thread