REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #1451

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Lol, still talking about this a year later?!?!?! I thought we should've gotten a little more as well but c'est la vie! Hopefully Bo Horvat turns out to be a decent NHLer!
Canucks fans will always bitch and complain about trades Everyone thought LUONGO was the one going to be traded and wasn't in the end lol

I'm sure we can all agree Schneider should have gotten more in the trade but GOALIES DON'T RETURN MUCH IN TRADES.
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #1452
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
I think he's better than Rinne, Smith, Niemi, Crawford, Howard, WARD (especially), bishop and Bobrovsky.

I can only agree with barely half of them.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:32 AM   #1453
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
Finally got out of the hockey shithole called Vancouver. Worst fans by far. Notice how happy luongo is on twitter now that he got out of dodge.
Just because they play for a city full of less enthusiastic people for hockey don't make them better "fans" by default.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 07-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #1454
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
Notice how happy luongo is on twitter now that he got out of dodge.
He's happy for other reasons.

And Kesler, well he had his share of ego stroking when he was here.

Change is good.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #1455
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

If horvat plays great, fans wud be sayin it was a great trade..if he sucks the debate continues

Also schneider top 6 goalie? Let's save that until he proves himself. Just because hes gettin paid now doesn't mean he is top6.

It's funny how someone said here that he's top 6 while a week or so ago, I read why we wud even take him back had he hit FA as he's gettin old etc etc. Good stuff lol
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #1456
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
LOL TOP 6? He was playing backup numbers in Vancouver and still hasn't even played a ONE FULL SEASON as a starter. He was still splitting starts with Brodeur in New Jersey...

At the time Luongo couldn't be traded....why do you think Gillis traded Schneider instead? I'm sure he would've kept Schneider over Luongo (cheaper contract, younger, good if not better) and all the GM's saw that. It's tough to say if that was the reason why Luongo wasn't traded or Gillis' asking price was too high.

Strong reading comprehension. I never said "Steve Ott was the reason why Buffalo got a first, player, prospect and Miller was just the throw in."

Furthermore, the trade had to be made. It's bad cap space/asset management to have 2 goalies costing 10M and a backup making 5M to sit on the bench. With that considered getting a high 9th overall pick in a DEEP draft isn't the best trade but a decent trade; considering goalies do not get much in trades.
You said Miller only got the return he got because Ott was involved. So by that logic, if the best Schneider could fetch was a first rounder, goalies are generally just worth a pick since goalies by your logic don't fetch much generally and we got a good deal for trading Schneider.

The trade didn't have to be made because Lu wasn't as untradable as MG made it seem so at the time, because guess what, we traded him less than season later. No need to take it personally, I disagree with you, you are making it so personal.

Also, Schneider had to share time with Broduer not because he was doing well, in fact playing Broduer cost NJD the playoff but it was due to loyalty. There's a reason Broduer is out of a job right now and Schneider just got a long contract from NJD.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #1457
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

I can only agree with barely half of them.
Just look at their stats in the past four years compared to Schneider.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #1458
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
when it became apparent a trade needed to happen, Lu was moved within three days to Florida. And, Florida turned around and dropped Timmy in a day. I think this makes it apparent that Florida was ready to deal to get Lu the year before. The reception they gave him on his return only strengthens that point. Since MG couldn't make it happen it is entirely a reflection on his incompetence. Why is this market vs. MG incompetence question still being asked?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #1459
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Yea, I'll take Rinne over schneids thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #1460

Quote:
You said Miller only got the return he got because Ott was involved. So by that logic, if the best Schneider could fetch was a first rounder, goalies are generally just worth a pick since goalies by your logic don't fetch much generally and we got a good deal for trading Schneider.

The trade didn't have to be made because Lu wasn't as untradable as MG made it seem so at the time, because guess what, we traded him less than season later. No need to take it personally, I disagree with you, you are making it so personal.
Again strong reading comprehension. What I meant was "Miller didn't get the St.Louis return ON HIS OWN considering Ott was thrown into the deal" which would've made him equal to Stewart for example.

If Luongo was so tradeable, why wasn't he traded instead of Schneider during the draft then

Teams saw that Schneider was more of an asset at the time, that Vancouver was up against the cap with 10M tied to 2 goalies and one had to moved. It was pretty clear Luongo only wanted to go to Florida and they didn't want him (at the time due to his contract and what not)

Who knows the exact reason(s) why he wasn't traded that day. Could've been the lowball offers? Luongo vetoing a trade with his NTC? Or Gillis' asking price was too high. It's just naive to say "Lu wasn't untradeable cause we traded him a season later". A goalie HAD to be moved at the time cause it's bad asset management to have 2 goalies costing 10M and having one sit on the bench at 5M.

I don't see how I'm making this personal LOL. Just a hockey discussion that's all.

Quote:
Just look at their stats in the past four years compared to Schneider.
Rinne, Smith, Niemi, Crawford, Howard all have more wins/more starts/more shutouts/equal to if not better save percentage than Schneider in the past 4 years......................

Last edited by jeedee; 07-13-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #1461
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Nobody knows exactly what's behind the scenes I regards to the luongo trade until somebody leaks it out.

These were the rumours that I remember reading about.

1. Gillis relationships with ppl. End up getting low ball offers such as 2 2nd rounders from leafs

2. Luongo won't go anywhere except Florida.

3. Florida ownership change hence the delay in getting luongo.

If we look back at the two goalie trades. Would you guys be happy if we traded luongo for horvat?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #1462
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Florida was not prepared to eat Luongo's contract until that new ownership group took over

to me, it sounded like Luongo was gonna get moved by the deadline, or this off season(if it was still under GMMG)
Old 07-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #1463
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
forgetting the return on the trades, once it was clear that Lu was staying he should have been shown the respect that he deserves. i would rather the trade not have become completely necessary this season, and he still be serving as Eddie's mentor right now rather than Miller.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #1464
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Nobody knows exactly what's behind the scenes I regards to the luongo trade until somebody leaks it out.

These were the rumours that I remember reading about.

1. Gillis relationships with ppl. End up getting low ball offers such as 2 2nd rounders from leafs

2. Luongo won't go anywhere except Florida.

3. Florida ownership change hence the delay in getting luongo.

If we look back at the two goalie trades. Would you guys be happy if we traded luongo for horvat?
Yes, but Lu would never fetch a top 10 pick at his age.

There are:
360 forward jobs ...
180 defenseman jobs ...
30 starting goaltender jobs ...

There just aren't that many teams that don't have good goaltending ... And when your goaltender has his heart set on two places and one of them doesn't want him, it makes it difficult to get a deal done.

Given the hindsight of the situation, I'd rather have traded Lu to FLA for nothing and kept Schneider than trade Schneider for Horvat and then, several months later, trade Lu for a 3rd line center and a project goaltender.

Signing Miller helps, but he's no Schneider. Fortunately, if Lack/Markstrom overtake him within 3 years, we can trade Miller for some minor assets to make room. He has a limited NTC rather than the essentially full NMC that Luongo had (except the two limited windows during that 12-year contract that the NHL turned completely toxic with the new CBA).
Old 07-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #1465
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Just took my Kesler jersey to The Hockey Shop to get the name swapped to Vrbata... So happy he's a 17 as well I was pissed I needed a new jersey lol
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #1466
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Just took my Kesler jersey to The Hockey Shop to get the name swapped to Vrbata... So happy he's a 17 as well I was pissed I needed a new jersey lol
How much did that cost?

LOL..i need it done too
Old 07-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #1467
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctw View Post
How much did that cost?

LOL..i need it done too
came to $40 with tax, they said on Twitter the deal was only until the 13th but I have a feeling they will still honour the deal. I know the owner and he said they have done about 20 so far and it takes 5 days.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #1468
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Lol..rather hang up the old Kes than swap for gross Vrbata lol
Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #1469
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
You guys should probably think about getting a McDavid jersey instead.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #1470
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Especially when he hasn't even played a single game for us lol
Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #1471
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
This. I'm keeping my Kes jersey as is, I don't really have an issue with him wanting a trade as it was obvious to everyone that the Canucks are in a rebuilding phase and won't be contending anytime soon for the cup, so I saw where he was coming from. Kesler gave his all while he played for the Canucks, he probably was the hardest working Canuck through his tenure here. Sure he got injured a bit, but that was a result of playing hard for the Canucks.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #1472

inb4 Vrbata picks another number

Besides he's only here for 2 years....you'd have to switch the name plate again....Jensen wore that number in juniors and might be developed by then..just sayin
Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #1473
My homepage has been set to RS

this is why teams retire jeresey numbers
so you cant unstitch the retired players nameplate for a replacing roster player. thus making you spend $$ to get a new jersey entirely

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #1474
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
tfw got a Kesler MILLIONAIRES jersey

fuck
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #1475
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
You guys should probably think about getting a McDavid jersey instead.
And now you're banned from this year's thread as well.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Closed Thread