REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   RCMP Youth? Volunteer Speed Patrol? Questions (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696054-rcmp-youth-volunteer-speed-patrol-questions.html)

AstulzerRZD 06-15-2014 11:54 PM

RCMP Youth? Volunteer Speed Patrol? Questions

I was driving down Steveston Highway today and spotted what looked like the people who usually volunteer at the South Arm Community Police Station department standing at the side of the road.

There were a couple holding a speed indicator sign, one with a DSLR and a telephoto lens, and a couple just watching.

Given that I was doing an indicated 68 in a 50 zone, I'm wondering if they are there to issue a warning, a ticket, or just to raise awareness?

XplicitLuder 06-15-2014 11:59 PM

i passed one going faster than the 50, think i was going 60-65, in my work truck. i got a letter send to my work with just saying to slow down and such. Sorta like a warning, but thats about it. Not sure how they do it to personal cars

320icar 06-16-2014 12:36 AM

I have friends who do this

1. They often have officers further up the road, ready to pull you over
2. They take a photo of your car, and often mail you a warning letter just to let you know you were seen speeding, but no tickets
3. I used to gear down and FLOOR it until i found out #1 and #2

zulutango 06-16-2014 04:55 AM

We used to call it..."2 strikes and you are out"...pass the sign speeding and don't slow down...you get stopped by a real Cop & get a real VT for speeding....and for being a slow learner who ignores the warning.

Soundy 06-16-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8488187)
I have friends who do this

1. They often have officers further up the road, ready to pull you over
2. They take a photo of your car, and often mail you a warning letter just to let you know you were seen speeding, but no tickets
3. I used to gear down and FLOOR it until i found out #1 and #2

I got a letter in the mail a while back that my vehicle had been seen speeding past one these speed boards... As it happened, it was the Honda that I'm the RO on but my kid is the PO. Had a little chat about that when he got home ;-)

rriggi 06-16-2014 10:06 AM

lol these things used to be setup all the time outside my house, for 3 days straight I'd fly past it. The forth day, I pull out of my house and get a full warning on my radar detector from a KA source which was different than K alert I was getting from the sign.

I passed by the sign going 5 under the limit while everyone standing there watched me go by:suspicious::suspicious:

And yes there was a cop sitting on the next street who also made this very face :suspicious:

Never any letters though?

Yodamaster 06-16-2014 04:18 PM

Sort of unrelated, but there's an electronic speed board set up along Canada Way just after Burris St, which displays how fast you are going.

It used to display whatever you were doing, now it caps at 69kph and flashes a 50kph signal, yet not a police officer to be seen...

Soundy 06-16-2014 04:21 PM

They have those all over the place now. I've seen some that flash a "frowny face emoticon" if you're speeding

EvoLove 06-17-2014 02:49 AM

theres one of those boards going up nordel via 91 highway and if you hit over 80 it doesn't even flash or do anything :failed::pokerface:

Noran 06-17-2014 11:22 AM

There's one of those electronic speed signs right in front of my house. Caps at 60km/h QQ

melloman 06-18-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8488499)
Sort of unrelated, but there's an electronic speed board set up along Canada Way just after Burris St, which displays how fast you are going.

It used to display whatever you were doing, now it caps at 69kph and flashes a 50kph signal, yet not a police officer to be seen...

Yup that's a turd of a sign.

There's the same sign on Cumberland between 10th Ave and 8th Ave in New West. If you do over 30km/h during "school time" it'll flash. Never got anything in the mail though when I was doing 38.

Tone Loc 06-18-2014 02:17 PM

They used to have one on Dewdney Trunk road a few hundred feet away from its intersection with St. Johns street in Coquitlam... except this one would tell you your speed and flash you multiple times (like a camera flash, but over and over again like a strobe) multiple times if you were going above the limit.

In the dead of night (as the streetlights in that area are few and far between) it would almost certainly disorient you and completely take away your "night vision" if you looked at it... which IMO was the perfect setup for an accident. Luckily, it was taken down after about a week!