REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
Friend's French Bulldog has Stage 4 Lymphoma

Just wondering if anyone here has been through or know someone who has been in this situation and what options they considered beyond chemo treatments which Caucau (The French Bulldog) has already had two of. She is 4 years old and cared for very well, the owners are willing to do anything to make sure she can survive as long as possible with a good quality of life

There is not a lot of published medical information out there on bone marrow transplants for dogs and just how successful they are... I have included a link below written by the owners which has more information and details as well as links to donate if you choose do to so.

Help Caucau Battle Stage 4 Lymphoma by Pauline Chow - GoFundMe

Or lots of pics and information on the instagram account: Instagram

And I copy and pasted some text from the site above, below.

Hi everyone! My name is Caucau (pronounced "cow cow", named for my cow pattern) and I'm a French Bulldog living in the beautiful city of Vancouver, British Columbia. I love playing with the cat, going for walks on the beach, and I loveee bananas. I just turned 4 this May. I haven't been feeling so hot lately - good thing my owners noticed and took me for a check up at the vet. After a whole bunch of tests, my vet diagnosed me with Stage IV multicentric lymphoma.

That didn't sound so fantastic because the vet said I only had 4-6 weeks left to play with my owners if I was left untreated. I wasn't going to settle with that so we opted for chemotherapy. Chemotherapy has the chance of prolonging my life for 12-18 months but there is a 85-90% chance that I will relapse and get sick again in the near future.

I like to call myself a fighter and believe there is always hope. Lo and behold, after many hours of research, my owners found out about a procedure called a bone marrow transplant. Unlike for my human friends, apparantly this is a relatively new procedure for me and my fellow canines. After chemotherapy clears those nasty cancer cells out of my body, the bone marrow transplant then replenishes my immune system with healthy cells. This has the biggest chance for curing me.

As if the cards were stacked in my favor, one of the only few vets that has successfully performed this procedure is in Bellingham, Washington - a 1 hour drive from my home town. He has a record of helping other furry friends overcome lymphoma through the transplant. He is willing to help me too but I need your help. The procedure costs $15,000-18,000 on top of the already expensive chemo costs and that is a huge burden on my owners. I am not willing to give up yet and I need all the support I can get.

If I can go through with the procedure, I hope that I can advance its research. Hopefully, I can contribute to make the procedure readily available to other fellow canines in the near future. By sharing my story, I also hope that I can be an inspiration to others going through tough times!

*Update 1* My owners are also looking for matching blood donors needed for the transplant. If you think you can help, please contact my owners at koicanada@gmail.com.

*Update 2* I just had my first chemo session and I am doing good. My swollen lymph nodes have shrunk considerably and I can breathe and sleep much better at night. The cancer-fighting cottage cheese and flax seed oil blend is also yummy and I look forward to that snack every day.
Advertisement
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
If they truly love the dog and don't want it to suffer, they should just put him down. Chemotherapy is just buying painful time for the pup. I had to do the same with my cat.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Yea that's fucking brutal, puting a dog through all that to gain another year of it's life? Jesus
Old 06-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
$15,000?

You've got to be fucking kidding me.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
And he wants other people to pay for it?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I own a dog myself, but this is crazy.

$15k for a transplant that may save the dogs life? If I was making adult-amounts of money a year, maybe that'd be no problem, but if you can't even afford it maybe it's a sign that you should simply let the dog pass in peace rather than go thru hell for a chance at living another few years
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
That's amore.

I love dogs, I have two (one I adopted from RS here) - the right thing to do has already been said.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Nope, well the donation is to help a little bit with the costs...

I understand that to many that is way too much to spend on medical bills for your dog, but it is also to help advance research for the future of bone marrow transplants in canines.

It is common to do this surgery with humans, however there is not enough documented medical cases with dogs.

The owners do not expect to raise 15,000 to pay for the surgery, heck the chemo alone is 1,000 a week per treatment for 16 weeks. On top of 15-18k for the bone marrow transplant on top of additional costs.....

Though I do believe he is selling his '88 911 Targa as well to cover the cost... Depending on how the next few days to a week go with gathering data from the lab. If you're interested message me for more details. He has spent a lot of money restoring as well... :/

Last edited by SB7; 06-19-2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typos
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote