REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Member's Support Area / Suggestions Box / Website Bugs (https://www.revscene.net/forums/members-support-area-suggestions-box-website-bugs_99/)
-   -   REVscene.net user (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696138-revscene-net-user.html)

lowside67 06-19-2014 05:49 PM

REVscene.net user

Just wanted to put my $0.02 in. To me, having a dedicated user to just create threads to try and elicit posts that nobody has bothered to create (i.e. what high school did you graduate from) does not add value to the forum, it takes away from it.

In fact, an account that creates thread with no real content just for the sake of making posts seems to be closer in profile to a spambot than anything else.

I understand that some of the monetization of a forum is based on pure forum post quantities, I just wanted to make my point that I think this is truly an example of quantity detracting from quality.

Mark

!Aznboi128 06-19-2014 06:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

lowside67 06-19-2014 07:18 PM

Who knows - maybe I am the only one who thinks this.

Mark

Bonka 06-19-2014 07:30 PM

Nah. Just between Timpo, multicartual, CharlesInCharge and Shark Tank those 4 create more than enough excess for dialogue, which is the main difference between those members and the REVscene.net character.

SkinnyPupp 06-19-2014 07:34 PM

The alternative of course is to start your own threads that you think will be more interesting than general interest threads...

maksimizer 06-19-2014 07:43 PM

+1 on multicartual

MindBomber 06-19-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8490435)
Who knows - maybe I am the only one who thinks this.

Mark

No, you're not.

I understand the reason for the existence of the REVscene.net 'user' is to create content, however, the content being entirely unnecessary is resulting in it hurting the experience of the site. It's like the results of "new posts" searches are suddenly interrupted by random bits of spam.

Thank you for bringing this up.

tiger_handheld 06-19-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8490390)
Just wanted to put my $0.02 in. To me, having a dedicated user to just create threads to try and elicit posts that nobody has bothered to create (i.e. what high school did you graduate from) does not add value to the forum, it takes away from it.

In fact, an account that creates thread with no real content just for the sake of making posts seems to be closer in profile to a spambot than anything else.

I understand that some of the monetization of a forum is based on pure forum post quantities, I just wanted to make my point that I think this is truly an example of quantity detracting from quality.

Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8490451)
No, you're not.

I understand the reason for the existence of the REVscene.net 'user' is to create content, however, the content being entirely unnecessary is resulting in it hurting the experience of the site. It's like the results of "new posts" searches are suddenly interrupted by random bits of spam.

Thank you for bringing this up.

I feel teh same. I've been hinting at this in all my posts that the user started, hoping their next thread would be "do you value the revscene.net posts?"

Seems like such a try hard account with no opinion.

I'd have much more respect for the site/user behind if they contributed to the current lively threads.

radioman 06-19-2014 08:04 PM

I don't mind posts like the teachers debate thread but if a thread already exists there really no point other then trying to get more activity.

If the revscene.net could find issues like that one for example that haven't been touched on I see value.

What highschool did you go to? No thanks.

v_tec 06-19-2014 08:33 PM

Wish I can thank OP.

No, you're not alone.

lowside67 06-19-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8490441)
The alternative of course is to start your own threads that you think will be more interesting than general interest threads...

No, the premise of my post is that those threads weren't needed in the first place. If they were of interest, then they would have been created by somebody before the "system" account created them. Having me start more threads is not an alternative to the 'problem' that I perceive which the abundance of unneeded content.

Mark

Energy 06-19-2014 08:51 PM

I agree with OP.

supremematt85 06-19-2014 09:25 PM

revscene.net is pretty cool. I like the topics that are posted.

lowside67 06-19-2014 09:32 PM

"The Top 3 Micheal Jackson songs of all time"

"The SCARIEST MOVIE you have ever watched.."

"Vancouver pictures!" (Posted in the Photography forum where the daily photos thread is 900 pages long and is 90% photos of Vancouver landscapes)

"Who owns the best cookie in town? Your top picks.."

There are a few that aren't as bad as the random ones I just picked out, but my point is that the ratio of noise:quality is pretty low and maybe slowing these postings down and really thinking about what is being posted would be beneficial.

Mark

snails 06-19-2014 09:34 PM

i dont see an issue with it. most people dont start threads and only jump in on the threads that interest them..

if the RS user created something no one had interest in it would move down the list quickly... and the topics people are interested in are just another way to create discussion

you guys been on forums with little discussion? they usually suck

i do see the point that it shouldnt be left to a RS user account but if that name was changed from REVscene.net to anything else then there would be no issue at all

supremematt85 06-19-2014 09:40 PM

My only complaint is that there isn't enough activity with the associated account. I feel like it should create minimum 5 new threads each day considering the size and diversity of our community.

bcrdukes 06-19-2014 10:26 PM

RS is better off letting me back in RS Chat. :whistle:

320icar 06-19-2014 10:43 PM

if you dont like the threads that revscene.net is posting, no one is asking *or* forcing to you open those threads. no one is making you be a member on this website and you can gladly join other forums.

i have clicked on a few of the threads, not all of them. why not post what highschool you attended? you might even realize a friend of yours is a member.

lowside67 06-20-2014 06:55 AM

Well for one, because a lot of us use the "new posts" feature so a bunch of new threads that aren't relevant = a bunch more scrolling.

underscore 06-20-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8490531)
"The Top 3 Micheal Jackson songs of all time"

"The SCARIEST MOVIE you have ever watched.."

"Vancouver pictures!" (Posted in the Photography forum where the daily photos thread is 900 pages long and is 90% photos of Vancouver landscapes)

"Who owns the best cookie in town? Your top picks.."

There are a few that aren't as bad as the random ones I just picked out, but my point is that the ratio of noise:quality is pretty low and maybe slowing these postings down and really thinking about what is being posted would be beneficial.

Mark

IMO they're all like the forum version of clickbait. Somewhat catchy title but absolutely zero content to drive any kind of discussion.

Speed2K 06-20-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8490694)
Well for one, because a lot of us use the "new posts" feature so a bunch of new threads that aren't relevant = a bunch more scrolling.

Agreed!

Brianrietta 06-20-2014 06:44 PM

I'm for sure with Mark on this one. If anything, I'd be happier if the account was used to bump interesting threads that could lead to further discussion rather than post new threads that are all too often mostly fluff imo. As an example of what I'd love to see: keeping things like the Vancouver History thread in the first few pages of VOT, or maybe even just driving attention to good threads in some of the lesser used forums.

SkinnyPupp 06-20-2014 07:04 PM

Ideally there wouldn't be a need to have an account bumping and creating threads - you guys are supposed to do it! Instead you complain that there are too many fluff threads to scroll through...

If you have something interesting to post in the history thread, please share it! ;)

jACEDesignsLtd 06-22-2014 09:18 PM

Skinny's last post pretty much sums up my thoughts.

If you have better ideas for quality topics, then I encourage people to initiate it first.

But really thanks everyone for their feedback, good and bad on the revscene account. We do take everything into consideration

evlee 06-22-2014 09:48 PM

ill be honest, i browse Revscene more than anything on the net simply becuase it is local, about cars, local eateries, local news, news on entertainment/gaming/movies, reviews on local businesses, random shit, "Some white chicks (NSFW) thread" NSFW forum in general. its a great site!