REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Well shit, I assumed they were all the same breed and thus bred for food since they all seem to look the same. No one is eating poodles. They all look like that muscled, short hair breed.

But if someone's stealing pets for food, that's fucked.
theres that and they also don't put the dogs down in a humane way. they're often tortured before their cooked. ie. boiled alive to get all the fur off of them which also "enriches" the meat because of the adrenaline that pumps through them as their being boiled alive.

i'm depressed now and not coming back into this thread. fuck you gs8 for bumping it.
Advertisement
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
During Thanks Giving and Xmas, mass killing of turkeys occur in the Western countries.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
During Thanks Giving and Xmas, mass killing of turkeys occur in the Western countries.
yes and in most places in the states, they use dogs to retrieve the dead turkeys.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #54
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
As I explained in my reply, you can't compare this to farming chickens and pigs, or even hunting turkey and deer. Ronin is incorrect in saying these dogs are bred for this festival. They aren't - the people go around the villages rounding up "strays" (that are often more pets than strays). Villagers have taken up to defending their dogs, to the point of physical altercation.

Like I said in my reply, I have nothing against people who want to eat dog meat. However rounding them up into cages isn't like farming or hunting. And you see how they treat them too (they idiotically think that torturing them makes them taste better)

There are some things fine with this practice, but specifically what these people are doing is fucked up.
Not being a pessimist but there's nothing you can do to stop them. Every country goes through it stages and it will take some time.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #55
HELP ME PLS!!!

Let's set it straight. This video talks about the Yulin festival. As far as the video is concerned, most of the dogs used for the festival are from dog farms. With a small percentage being from the streets, as they are concerned that there isn't enough to go around.

The reporter is fuckin cute.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #56
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
People are much, much, much more likely to share and watch a video if it has a beautiful woman in it
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 PM   #57
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Not being a pessimist but there's nothing you can do to stop them. Every country goes through it stages and it will take some time.
You can stop them. Dog eating is banned in many countries
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:44 PM   #58
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
Again I don't understand why it's cruel and unusual to eat dogs but perfectly okay to eat cows and chicken and pigs. There are breeding farms that breed dogs for the purpose of consumption, how is that any different than beef and chicken? Is eating kangaroos not okay? Is eating insects not okay? Rabbits? Guinea pigs? What about snakes? Just because the western culture finds dogs adorable should not mean that they should trample on other people's traditional cuisines. Some places like India treat cows which we massacre as Gods.
Dogs are exponentially more intelligent than cows or chicken. Thus, humankind has taken a liking to them. Most people don't want to consume other intelligent beings I guess? We associate cows and chicken with food. Dogs are our companions.

Since it's 2015, we expect China to be a "civilized" country. "Civilized" countries don't eat dogs. That's why I think most people are outraged at this.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 12:21 AM   #59
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
I completely disagree with saying eating "farmed dogs" is the same as cattle and chickens.

Dogs are instinctively trustful and loyal to humans. Their lives revolve around us and they react to our every move, every sound. They rely on us to provide for them, and in exchange they are loyal companions. We have a special bond with them that's unlike any other, as I'm sure any dog owner would attest to. They're truly man's best friend, and eating them is a betrayal of that friendship.
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-21-2015, 12:35 AM   #60
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
I completely disagree with saying eating "farmed dogs" is the same as cattle and chickens.

Dogs are instinctively trustful and loyal to humans. Their lives revolve around us and they react to our every move, every sound. They rely on us to provide for them.
Just like a slave relies on it's master. Humans have made dogs useless dogs could and some still can survive on there own.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:15 AM   #61
Banned (ABWS)

I would cry if I saw someone eating a corgi burger
Old 06-21-2015, 01:24 AM   #62
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I don't know man. Sometimes I really feel like these things were written with a goal... A goal other than to expose the inhumane treatment.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #63
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP.AR View Post
I don't know man. Sometimes I really feel like these things were written with a goal... A goal other than to expose the inhumane treatment.
well yea. the goal is to demonize china and chinese people as all dog eaters. to portray chinese are evil and cruel. old trick, works well, westerners love exposing these kind of issues (such as portraying chinese eat dogs, corrupt money buy houses in bc, human rights in china), turning situtation into a them vs us scenario. westerners actually dont want these issues to be resolved in china, because they want to be the white knight that have the upperhand when it comes to ethics and moral.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #64
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Instead of the "cruellest" festival lets make this thread a "cruller" festival
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 07:27 AM   #65
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post

Dogs are instinctively trustful and loyal to humans. Their lives revolve around us and they react to our every move, every sound. They rely on us to provide for them, and in exchange they are loyal companions. We have a special bond with them that's unlike any other, as I'm sure any dog owner would attest to. They're truly man's best friend, and eating them is a betrayal of that friendship.
Agreed, but I would like to point out that, maybe, all animals at least more than you might expect, have that loyalty/behavior. For example, about 20 years ago my cousin got gifted two chicks, her parents did not let her keep them so we took them and raised them, they lived in the yard. Where I lived all yards are fenced or walled. Surprisingly, as they grew they behaved like dogs, they would greet us when walking out of the house or when coming back home, all excited, as strangers would pass by the house they would defend the property just like a dog would, without the barking of course, but they would make sounds. They would also come on command, they would not play fetch though. Also if a stranger/friend they were not used to would come in they would attack/defend us. We did end up giving them away... my mom would go crazy, they pooped everywhere in her garden, tables chairs cars...
Same story with my uncle who raised a pig as house pet.

So maybe eating "farmed animals" is the same, either it be dog, cat, cattle, duck.... since they can all be loyal to their owners. It's all about the purpose we raise them for.

I would like to add, we are no better with our rodeos. Some of those bulls, calves are totally peaceful, but for our entertainment, we whip them, taze them in order to get them to play the part.
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:33 AM   #66
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

At least the asian culture with eating dogs/cats... is about feeding yourself.

At the rodeo it's for entertainment, I find that troubling and shameful.
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #67

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You can stop them. Dog eating is banned in many countries
I hope you know well enough about China that a ban would not work.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #68
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I hope you know well enough about China that a ban would not work.
I know full well that laws are rarely enforced in China unless it's to protect the government itself. But when the public is highly concerned, they tend to act.

If this is just one group of people doing this once a year, it would be quite easy to put an end to it, if they wanted to.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #69
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

If anyone has bothered to do some research... Dog meat is actually not banned or illegal in many western nations. It's legal in Canada.

I'm not sure why people concentrate their efforts on one festival in one town when animals all over the world have their throats slit and bled alive under the guise of being Kosher or Halal. Pick the easy target that won't fight back?
Old 06-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #70
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
I think it is because of our economy, its a lot whole better than it is compare to other countries. If i was poor and living in a bad environment, I would too eat dog as I have to struggle to live. Once you guys have visit third world countries you'll realize how lucky you are to live in Canada.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #71
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
I think it is because of our economy, its a lot whole better than it is compare to other countries. If i was poor and living in a bad environment, I would too eat dog as I have to struggle to live. Once you guys have visit third world countries you'll realize how lucky you are to live in Canada.

Lived in Costa Rica for a year

Life there is cheap, hard and fast
Old 06-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #72
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
The rational people are not bringing up the point necessarily about them eating dog meat. Its the barbaric treatment they receive prior to death.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #73
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Lulz as if American or Canadian meat factories(yes factories, because there is almost no such thing as ranches anymore) treat cows and chickens any better? And we're supposed to be the "civilized" people. Ignorance is the real reason people are so butthurt dogs are being eaten.
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #74
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
You act like the people criticizing this AREN'T criticizing treatment of animals anywhere else. I have issues with how animals are treated in this country as well. However comparing boiling a dog alive to the single bolt that kills a cow in an instant isn't valid.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #75
GS8

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
I stopped eating Crab and Lobster after watching them get thrown in boiling water.

My family used to bring them home from the store in a plastic bag. They would chirp, move around in the bag and try to get out.

This was over 20 years ago. I think they got it from Rupert Fish Market. Needless to say, I don't miss eating them.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote