REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #76
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Apparently it's shut down this year? Can anyone make sense of this?

http://news.mingpao.com/ins/%E7%8E%8.../1434870501087
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #77
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
^ yeah something along the lines of

"under public scrutiny the officials of the Yulin festival have cancelled the event, and police forces have been called to keep things civil around the vendors"

but lets be honest, everyone is still gonna be eating dog... just in their privacy and not out in the streets
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #78
Banned By Establishment

Good to hear
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #79
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Yeah, forgot to bring that up. Petitions started popping up on my facebook feed over a month ago.

At the time, I did some critical analysis to see if it's a real event or if it's some bs animal activists made up (they make a lot of things up). I couldn't find any indication that it was happening this year and it was shut down shortly after last years event.

If people did a little digging into the petitions they're signing, they would've known the petition was to try and stop an event that wasn't going to happen anyways.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Yeah, forgot to bring that up. Petitions started popping up on my facebook feed over a month ago.

At the time, I did some critical analysis to see if it's a real event or if it's some bs animal activists made up (they make a lot of things up). I couldn't find any indication that it was happening this year and it was shut down shortly after last years event.

If people did a little digging into the petitions they're signing, they would've known the petition was to try and stop an event that wasn't going to happen anyways.
It happens every single year. This is the first time it has been successful.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #81
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
i dont eat live animals anymore, only dead ones(aka nothing fresh slaughtered period)

i have had dead dog meat before & seriously it was delicious
Spoiler!

what turn out to a joke, became very real for me

i was in the outskirts of guangzhou i believe & its pretty dirty/disgusting place as there was garbage everywhere (the outskirt was known to for eating dogs i heard)

i told them that i dont eat anything live/fresh, so what i was eating was suppose to be already dead

i didnt look at the dogs in the cage as there was an old chinese saying:

"never touch your baby in the forehead if your gonna sell it/put it up for adoption" as this will give u 2nd thoughts, which is exactly why i didnt check out the dog cage (didnt wanna waste the trip)

i cant really exactly tell u how it was made as im not too sure, (not sure if im even allowed to say how) but there was a lot of ginger, onions (different kinds) & garlic in pot, & just slow cook it

mind u this was like 3 years ago when i first came back to guangzhou & my coworker was still alive

i remember watching the local news & there was a protest going on about eating dogs, i mentioned it to my coworker & she said "well u wanna try it, i know where it is"

i said "sure why not" as joke & that what happened, sorry no pics as i was sure no one i knew would be interested in seeing pics of dog meat & also they might think i was someone from CCTV national news (if its something super serious then if would be on CCTV national news)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #82

What I was saying was the ban did not happen recently. There are still petitions circulating calling for it's ban that started after after the fact. There are recent articles that can be found on Google News calling for the ban as well.

A little critical analysis and they would've know that it was banned in 2014.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #83

Quote:
What I was saying was the ban did not happen recently. There are still petitions circulating calling for it's ban that started after after the fact. There are recent articles that can be found on Google News calling for the ban as well.

A little critical analysis and they would've know that it was banned in 2014.
The story I posted was from today... Are you saying they banned it then forgot and banned it again? What's your source?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #84

Ricky Gervais backs Canadian?s bid to end dog-eating festival in China | Toronto Star

Quote:
The local government said the festival was banned in 2014, but numerous reports indicate the tradition continued last year and will happen again in 2015.
That article along with not being able to find indication that it was happening this year (outside of animal activist sites) was good enough for me. I wasn't going to learn the language to verify the article. Whether the locals choose to obey the ban or not is another issue.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:39 PM   #85

Quote:
Ricky Gervais backs Canadian?s bid to end dog-eating festival in China | Toronto Star

That article along with not being able to find indication that it was happening this year (outside of animal activist sites) was good enough for me. I wasn't going to learn the language to verify the article. Whether the locals choose to obey the ban or not is another issue.
The very quote you posted says it wasn't banned last year...
Old 06-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #86

I read it as banned in 2014 but happened anyways.

If a ban is what these petitions are trying to accomplish, it's already done. If everyone wants to actually stop these things from happening then people need to do more than point fingers and say it's wrong. They need their beliefs changed.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:37 AM   #87
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Here's what my reading has told me.

• Estimated 40,000 dogs killed.
  • Sources of the dogs for slaughter is sketch, not all are from farms, some are kidnapped pets.
    Some are sick and should not be fit for human consumption.
  • It's not banned by the government. They just pulled their official endorsement for the festival.
    They aren't doing anything about it except to turn a blind eye and leave it to the public.

I'm seeing articles saying stuff like the dogs are:
  • Skinned alive.
  • Boiled alive.
  • Burned alive
  • Electrocuted alive.

I know my Chinese heritage is very much a food oriented culture.

But it's also a culture that is steeped in myth, wive's tales and beliefs.
I'm hoping for fuck's sake that they aren't torturing the dogs for the sake of FLAVOR.

The food knowledge I intake has told me things like a stressed out animal releases adrenaline, endorphins and other stress chemicals triggered by the fight or flight response. The stress imparts an "off" taste to the flesh.
Unfortunately, I don't know if this is a white-washed (white as in sanitized) Western culture trying to justify slaughter for meat to a now more enlightened public.
Maybe it's aligning poor palates that don't like the "gamey taste" of lamb and goat to an ethical public.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about food, slaughter and animal chemistry so confirm or deny this.
I definitely haven't had the chance to do this first hand.

I do know for a fact, that my Chinese ancestral culture will cross some serious ethical boundaries for the sake of food.
I also know for a fact that my Chinese people are perfectly ok with gamey meats. They were not raised in the under a shitty food culture that eats tenderloin, filleted fish and chicken breast.

I really, really, really hope the torture isn't for the sake of "flavor".

If anybody can shed some light on this part,
please share your knowledge.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #88
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Jilin, China (2015) - Tamed and/or domesticated dog consumption is not uncommon

Vancouver, Canada (2015) - Stray and/or unwanted dogs typically aren't euthanized anymore. Not unusual to see people let a dog lick them on the face, let alone even when on television.

Saqqara, Egypt (Ptolemaic Period) - 8 Million: Number Of Mummified Dogs Found In Ancient Egyptian Catacomb : SCIENCE : Tech Times
gilllgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #89
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
i dont eat live animals anymore, only dead ones(aka nothing fresh slaughtered period)
Wait...why? It's still dead. How long between death and food is it okay?

With a lot of meat, it's gotta be aged a little anyways but with, for example, seafood? I mean, you don't want old fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
The food knowledge I intake has told me things like a stressed out animal releases adrenaline, endorphins and other stress chemicals triggered by the fight or flight response. The stress imparts an "off" taste to the flesh.
Unfortunately, I don't know if this is a white-washed (white as in sanitized) Western culture trying to justify slaughter for meat to a now more enlightened public.
Maybe it's aligning poor palates that don't like the "gamey taste" of lamb and goat to an ethical public.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about food, slaughter and animal chemistry so confirm or deny this.
I definitely haven't had the chance to do this first hand.

I do know for a fact, that my Chinese ancestral culture will cross some serious ethical boundaries for the sake of food.
I also know for a fact that my Chinese people are perfectly ok with gamey meats. They were not raised in the under a shitty food culture that eats tenderloin, filleted fish and chicken breast.

I really, really, really hope the torture isn't for the sake of "flavor".

If anybody can shed some light on this part,
please share your knowledge.
It's not just white people. Japanese people kill fish as fast as possible to maintain flavor and to keep stress from spoiling the meat. Ikejime, it's called, where they insert a rod into the spinal column to destroy it and bleed out the fish. White people would probably find that cruel, though.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #90
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
^
actually im a Buddhist & a pretty bad one & not eating live fresh meat is my bottom line (& the least i can do as Buddhist), this is why i dont really eat seafood

festival continues, spoiler for link(it might be disturbing)

also this place is in guangxi, so ppl in the north wont know much about it (as guangxi is in the south) & its also this is a tradition thats been here for 100 of years now (as i was told)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:45 AM   #91
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
long image but some lady in china went to buy over a 100 dogs from yulin to save them from being eaten

some animal mistreatment photos are included in this long story btw

Spoiler!
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #92
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

lol @ imposing western morals/ethics/culture to Chinese people in China. And you wonder why (mainland) Chinese people really don't give a shit what other think.

According to the Humane Society:
Quote:
Up to 10 million dogs are believed to be killed for their meat in China every year, as many as 10,000 alone for the Yulin event.
10m a year averages ~27400 dogs a day. 10000 for 1 event isn't that bad.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #93
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
10 million dogs just think about that number. If they all stopped eating dogs tomorrow what would happen to all those dogs?