REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
The cruellest festival in the world? China holds its summer solstice DOG-EATING event

I'm speechless...

Quote:
Residents have begun killing and eating dogs early in celebration of the summer solstice in a bid to avoid protests by animal rights campaigners.
Some residents of the southern Chinese city of Yulin started gathering last weekend and eating dog meat and lychees to celebrate the longest day of the year, ahead of Saturday's actual solstice, state media reported.
The locals wanted to avoid protests which have in recent years seen the festival, slaughterhouses and markets selling dogs targeted as part of a social media campaign and ongoing online petition against the practice.
Pictures of the dead dogs have spoiler tags;

Spoiler!

Quote:
The public uproar reflects the increasing affluence of ordinary Chinese, who keep pets, travel overseas and are changing attitudes toward traditions they may not have questioned before.
Photos on state media showed groups of Yulin city residents tucking into plates of meat and vegetables around dining tables strewn with lychees. Other photos, which circulated widely on Chinese microblogs, were of skinned, cooked dogs hanging from hooks at street stalls or piled on tables.
Under the Yulin tradition, eating dog and lychee and drinking liquor on the solstice is supposed to make people stay healthy during winter. It is unclear if the supposed health benefits diminish if the feast occurs before the actual solstice.
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote:
Animal rights activists say the event is a public health risk because the dogs undergo no quarantine to ensure they are free of disease, and that they are strays grabbed off streets around the country, as well as allegedly stolen from pet owners. The dogs are often poisoned with toxic chemicals that could be harmful to humans, they say.

Deng Yidan, an activist with Animals Asia, said the public backlash hurts the image of Yulin and China.
'Negative coverage is growing — dog theft, criminal activities, food hygiene issues, and rabies fears — not to mention the division in society between those for and against the festival — together these have brought significantly more negative publicity to Yulin than economic benefits,' Deng said in a statement.

Spoiler!

Quote:
The Yulin government has sought to distance itself from the feasting, saying it is not officially endorsed. State media reports say the government told restaurants to remove references to dog meat from their menus and signboards — though it did not ban the sale and consumption of the meat, which is not illegal in China.
The government has denied the formal existence of such a festival, saying it is a culinary habit practiced only by some businesses and people.
Public pressure stopped another dog meat festival, in eastern Zhejiang province, which was cancelled in 2011 despite dating back hundreds of years.

Read more: China under fire for celebrating summer solstice with DOG-EATING event | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Again I don't understand why it's cruel and unusual to eat dogs but perfectly okay to eat cows and chicken and pigs. There are breeding farms that breed dogs for the purpose of consumption, how is that any different than beef and chicken? Is eating kangaroos not okay? Is eating insects not okay? Rabbits? Guinea pigs? What about snakes? Just because the western culture finds dogs adorable should not mean that they should trample on other people's traditional cuisines. Some places like India treat cows which we massacre as Gods.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I have nothing against eating any animal in particular, but the way they treat the dogs is what disturbs me.

These people aren't normal farmers who herd cattle or sheep on a ranch, these are people who roam the streets looking for strays, and locking them up in cages... And I'm sure we've all seen the footage of what happens after that.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
I'm just glad they aren't eating babies......
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^well there is a bit of a population crisis over there so...
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Wtf is a summer solstice DOG-EATING event? never heard of such bullshit event.
I'm 100% sure this is just another round of attacks by western media to make china look bad. this tactics is old.
also, notice they are using old photos, not current by half a decade.
dog ownership is rising so high that the pet business is booming. i personally know so many dog lovers, this simply wont happen in today's china.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
I'm 100% sure this is just another round of attacks by western media to make china look bad. this tactics is old.
dog ownership is rising so high that the pet business is booming. i personally know so many dog lovers, this simply wont happen in today's china.
its probably one village in China consisting of like 30 people who has one really old tradition where they were so poor before they had to eat dogs to survive. But now a western media found out about it and made a big deal out of it.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:
It's very real, they protest this every year in Hong Kong

Why is it that whenever there's a negative story about China, it's automatically "western propaganda"?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
mainland china needs no help from western society to make themselves look bad.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
its probably one village in China consisting of like 30 people who has one really old tradition where they were so poor before they had to eat dogs to survive. But now a western media found out about it and made a big deal out of it.
Dog and cat eating is very prevalent all over china. Hell one time I saw a cat hanging in the window at a dim sum restaurant in guangzhou, right next to the char siu and roast duck.

It's a very taboo thing in most places, but not china. Hell even villagers in hong kong are somewhat infamous for eating stray mongrels. Dog rescuers have to take care in who they allow to adopt their dogs.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Living in Vietnam I wouldn't say eating dogs is common but a decent amount of people still eat it on a regular basis, less in the bigger cities and more in the countryside as well. Probably more prevalent in the north which boarders China.

The pictures you have presented as so called "evidence" is extremely misleading as well. You take pictures from what looks like a pretty big dog market and then have pictures of random breeds of dogs in cages. Who is to say the pictures of the roasted dogs are not from a proper breeding farm? All the dogs that are roasted look about the same size, shape, etc...

Really the thing that needs to be done about dog consumption is how they are treated, transported and most importantly where they come from. The actual consumption of the meat is not an issue.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #12
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I have nothing against eating any animal in particular, but the way they treat the dogs is what disturbs me.

These people aren't normal farmers who herd cattle or sheep on a ranch, these are people who roam the streets looking for strays, and locking them up in cages... And I'm sure we've all seen the footage of what happens after that.
This. There exists many lowest scums on Earth who roam the street and would not hesitate to bait, drug and kill your pet dog to sell for money. Rural or urban area alike. They even bait and kill dogs inside gated houses.

No idea about China but this is not uncommon in Vietnam. Better not let that pet dog out of your sight because it's as good as dead if you do.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #13
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
So is the issue with eating Dogs or is the issue with theft, poisoning and inhumane treatment of the Dogs? I couldn't tell based on the stupid comments left in the link's comment section.

Because any animal for consumption especially one of traditional and cultural purpose should be killed humanely and the people should behave with ethical standards in mind. The animals should be treated with respect and held in high regard due to their 'sacrifice' for this feast.

If people are running around, sweeping up strays and other's pets, then that is just dumb, greedy and fucking dangerous. I am against that.

But I have nothing against what people eat in their culture. It's not as if the domesticated dog is going extinct. They will breed and breed. People need to eat. We came from a hunter / gatherer society and depended on livestock to settle down and build cities. We didn't kill them because we were monsters. We killed them because they served us and helped us grow so we could breed more of them and repeat the cycle in a responsible manner.

But you can't use logic against a dumb ignorant fuck swept up in Disney movies and Facebook.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #14
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I'm a meat eater. I own a dog, and I don't see anything wrong with eating dogs so long as they're bred and treated humanely.

I've always held the position that animals being killed at shelters, ie:cats/dogs or those rabbits in victoria, should all be food for the homeless.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #15
nma
#RVG

Quote:

I'm pretty sure most animals for consumption get treated like shit.. NOT ALL but most.
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:09 AM   #16
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
reading some of the comments on these "animal lovers" sites are hilarious "dogs aren't livestock! you can't torture them that way, they're here to serve us" goes on to wish chinese death and "god created dogs to honor us"

the story reminds me that i've got lychees in the fridge

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-20-2014 at 01:18 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
as gay as this may sound, this really breaks my heart as a dog lover/owner.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilley View Post
My heart just broke a little bit. It really comes down to the way they are treated while they are alive. Once the animal is dead then it shouldn't matter right? Suffering and distress is the issue; not the consumption of the meat.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
I love my dogs but lets be honest, dogs are animals and if humans were placed in a situation where the only meat source were dogs... then by all means eat them.

For those who use the "but they're our pets" argument, people out there have pigs and cows as pets... and look what we do to them
Side note: dogs look like giant rats without hair
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,919 Times in 3,876 Posts
I have no issue with what people eat, only how it is treated prior to consumption.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #21
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:

When's the last time you saw a cattle or sheep farm that's being used for mass consumption? The meat you eat comes from a cow/sheep/pig/chicken factory, not some farm wonderland utopia. The get bred in Factory A, gets put on a conveyor belt to Factory B where they get slaughted and bled out, then to Factory C to get cut up, and then to Factory D to get packaged.

Let's pretend for a moment that your assumption is correct, that "some of these dogs are from these guys that go around preying on strays and putting them in cages” - please explain to me how that's any different than you going out with a camouflage suit and hunting a deer or a pigeon to eat. Just because we live in an urban environment that somehow makes hunting animals for the purpose of killing them and eating their flesh not morally acceptable? I don't see people making a huge fuss over bear hunting and people don't even eat that shit. What's going to happen to those strays anyway? Already we know nobody gives a shit about them, and there are huge stray dogs population problems all over, causing nuisances to people. Best case scenario it gets picked up by the local animal control and gets put down in a quick and what I hope is painless death. Worst case scenario it continues to forage the city for scraps of garbage and dies in a multitude of ways. In an area of the world where protein is a luxury for the local population, who are you to say that it's not acceptable to eat what's available to their indigenous environment?

But let's backtrack and be realistic here. If you were a restaurant that serves dogs or cats as a delicacy, you ain't gonna be buying strays to serve to your customers because it's gonna taste like shit. Food is all about fresh ingredients, and nobody's going to buy sick stray dogs to serve to their clients just like they won't buy sick cows that weren't bred properly that has a 100% diet of garbage. Like I already said, people breed these animals for food because they like how it tastes and it's supposed to be healthy for you. The assumption that there are somehow bandits of these "dog predators" who "kidnap" people's pet so they can cook and eat them is ridiculous. Why would anyone go through the trouble of going through all of that when dogs are notoriously easy to breed?

If anyone wants to campaign against animal cruelty, all the power to them. I love dogs, and I also love cows and chickens. Animal cruelty is fucked up but universal and the source of the meat should not matter. Don't discriminate and don't tell other people what they can and cannot eat.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilley View Post

Expressing your feelings isn't gay, it's important and brave to speak up

Fucking a man in the ass is gay
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #23
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Expressing your feelings isn't gay, it's important and brave to speak up

Fucking a man in the ass is gay
you draw the line @ the ass eh
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #24
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
you draw the line @ the ass eh
if two men are sexually engaged, they might not necessarily both be gay. but you can almost 100% be certain the one who's dick is getting rubbed the right way is the gay one.

unless you're in an american prison. apparently there it's not gay. lol.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

I dont know about you guys, but i prefer eating pussy
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: