REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Increased speeds, fewer injuries and fatalities.

What I've been saying for years:

Think Speed Limits Are Set For Safer Driving? Find Out What They're Really About.
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,202 Posts
I love the prospect of that research, however, he conveniently ignores a significant factor when basing his logical arguments on the trend of fatality rates going down over time despite speed limits going up which is the effects of improved car design.

Hypothetically if cars were 50% safer (i.e. less likely for you to die in an accident) and the fatality rates only went down by 25% during a time when speed limits were increasing, the speed limits are likely having a negative effect on safety, not a positive one.

I agree with a lot of his thoughts but I think this "thesis" is easily assailed by those who are seeking to keep the limits low.

Mark
Old 06-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Simple solution to this,

Best sign I think in existence..
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
racing & tech mod.

If getting a drivers licence was as structured and restricted as getting a pilots licence.. it would be no problem.. but as it is, too many people who shouldnt be on the highway at all, are.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #6

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
If getting a drivers licence was as structured and restricted as getting a pilots licence.. it would be no problem.. but as it is, too many people who shouldnt be on the highway at all, are.
Lol, it's not like getting your pilots licence is difficult either... But more structured and weeds out retards ya sure i'll agree with you.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Well... 18-wheelers going 20 over on Trans-Canada are just getting ridiculous. In the past couple of years it has just been getting harder to obey the law and not be considered an asshole by other drivers

Autobahn would be nice, but we are not as disciplined as Germans. I am sure not
BMW_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I love the prospect of that research, however, he conveniently ignores a significant factor when basing his logical arguments on the trend of fatality rates going down over time despite speed limits going up which is the effects of improved car design.

Hypothetically if cars were 50% safer (i.e. less likely for you to die in an accident) and the fatality rates only went down by 25% during a time when speed limits were increasing, the speed limits are likely having a negative effect on safety, not a positive one.

I agree with a lot of his thoughts but I think this "thesis" is easily assailed by those who are seeking to keep the limits low.

Mark
I disagree since we are not talking about significant differences in time between study results and similar decreases in the accident/fatality rate are not seen in highways where the limits have not changed.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Do you think the government will consider raising speed limit if you forward this?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Wow, are we still talking about this?
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchedMy991 View Post
Wow, are we still talking about this?
YES, and we're going to keep talking about it until people pull their heads out of their asses and realize that the current speed limits don't make any sense anymore.

What would have happened if 40 years ago, people didn't keep pushing the racism thing, and just decided "Hey, nothings going to change, lets just stop bothering with this". I know stupid example, but it still applies. You want change? You have to DO something about it.

And something SERIOUSLY needs to be done about our speed limits. Were no longer driving cars with no seat belts, were no longer driving cars with brakes the size of milk bottle caps. Come on it's time to wake up and realize that speed limits need to be raised.

Aggressive driving can be attributed to A VAST MAJORITY of accidents, many of these aggressive driving maneuvers are a direct result of some idiot doing the speed limit when 99% of the people around them are going 20 over the speed limit. I see fucking idiots getting cut off every morning and people tailgating these people doing 90 ALL THE TIME.

You are NOT doing yourself any favours by going 90 when all the traffic around you is going 110. I don't care what the fucking bullshit sign says.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Aggressive driving can be attributed to A VAST MAJORITY of accidents, many of these aggressive driving maneuvers are a direct result of some idiot doing the speed limit when 99% of the people around them are going 20 over the speed limit. I see fucking idiots getting cut off every morning and people tailgating these people doing 90 ALL THE TIME.
Just so you know, last time I checked, DUI and not paying attention(texting, talking on phone, etc) are the most dangerous things you can do on the road.

Out of all the fatalities we have in BC, or even Canada, street racing or aggressive driving are not much of big deal. Sure, ever since Fast and Furious came out, cops and media are making huge deal out of it, but in reality, a lot more people are getting killed by DUI and texting.

People say speeders are aggressive drivers, but I don't think so.
That's like saying everyone on Autobahn are driving aggressively, yet one of the safest highway in the world.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #13

and sadly, talking about matter on RS won't go anywhere... I am sure it will give more public attention and awareness, but government and ICBC will still want to be lucrative and keep pushing "Speed Kills" hype.

I don't think anyone is going to be complaining about the law, especially if it's there for public safety.
But speed limits we have right now are strictly for profit, not for safety and that's why we have problem with them.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
It's just common sense really, you don't even have to pull out any research data to see how stupid driving is here in most of North America...
a quick example and one of many many is the one I experience almost every day..

-- I cross Patullo Bridge heading into Surrey, speed limit is 50km on that wide open stretch that has no crosswalks or foot traffic.... yet as I approach deeper up King George around Whalley where all the crackheads are jaywalking 24/7, speed limit is upped to 60km, what fckin sense does this make

But every single time I drive on HWY 1 i see 2 things, first being left lane blockers aside from being the scum of the earth, they're causing other faster drivers to swerve in and out of any which lane they can in order to get ahead which causes an obviously a dangerous situation, this is why I despise left lane idiots with a passion, they are oblivious the the danger they're creating.... and the second thing is the fuckin HOV lane just boggles my mind when I'm driving in it passing everyone doing 100, while the other 3 lanes are clogged as shit dudes going twice as slow... the HOV lane could be a big decongestant, but for whatever reason we're sticking to some rule some guy fckin thought of that maybe made some sense 30-40 years ago or whatever....

and I've driven all over Europe including Germany from top to bottom, and there is no way I would feel safe having a no speed limit highway here in Van city. The drivers here can't comprehend the basics of driving let alone handle something like that
Old 06-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
and I've driven all over Europe including Germany from top to bottom, and there is no way I would feel safe having a no speed limit highway here in Van city. The drivers here can't comprehend the basics of driving let alone handle something like that
That's because in Germany, is it mandatory that you attend driving school and be taught by professionals.
Same as in Japan, you must attend driving school which would cost you $4,000.

Here in Canada, your buddy, friend's brother or whoever can teach you as long as he/she is 25 years old. They don't even have to be a qualified instructor.

Also your vehicle must be sent to mandatory government inspection periodically.
In Germany (TÜV inspection) in or even in Japan (Shaken inspection) they have very strict inspections and I can guarantee you, they won't let you drive beaters on the road like Canadian government do. Same as those vehicles sold by shady dealers at Burnaby and Kingsway.

This is why most JDM vehicles in Canada are junk, because importers only buy vehicles that failed Japanese government inspection to save cost. Most Japanese customers won't buy it because getting a Certificate of Road Worthiness can be very costly.

I guess the whole automotive culture is different, especially in Germany.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Also your vehicle must be sent to mandatory government inspection periodically.
In Germany (TÜV inspection) in or even in Japan (Shaken inspection) they have very strict inspections and I can guarantee you, they won't let you drive beaters on the road like Canadian government do. Same as those vehicles sold by shady dealers at Burnaby and Kingsway.

Brace yourself... Mandatory inspections are coming.

Why else do you think AirCare is being scrapped?

As long as they aren't too overzealous with it, it will be something I will be happy about, but If they start hammering lowered cars for aftermarket suspensions and shit, I'm going to be pissed.

I will accept it with open arms, if they check vehicles for adequate tires, brakes, lighting, and overall road worthiness.

Saw a toyota echo with two space saver tires (one on each rear wheel), on the highway this morning. Like are you fucking kidding me? The funny thing is, the guy was still going faster than the bullshit speed limit.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #17

^ Exactly. As long as they're reasonable with modifications, i will welcome mandatory inspections. So frustrating seeing jackasses cruising around with tires that look like fucking r-comps they're so bald, and brakes that hardly work.

On the speed limit thing, i commute on hwy 1 to the Northshore for work, most mornings i'm going ~110-120 in the 90 zones getting passed by atleast half the people on the road. Anyone who thinks our speed limits are "adequate" need to give their fucking head a shake.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Just so you know, last time I checked, DUI and not paying attention(texting, talking on phone, etc) are the most dangerous things you can do on the road.

Out of all the fatalities we have in BC, or even Canada, street racing or aggressive driving are not much of big deal. Sure, ever since Fast and Furious came out, cops and media are making huge deal out of it, but in reality, a lot more people are getting killed by DUI and texting.
I do know this, but the problem is keeping speed limits low isn't going to help texters and drunk drivers.

If you are drinking and driving, or texting and driving, all we can do is continue educating and hammering the point home with tickets and suspensions. The ones who continue to do this are truly a lost cause, all we can hope for is that when they inevitably crash, they only hurt themselves and not innocent bystanders. I don't see why keeping the speed limits low helps reduce these accidents, a bunch of the time the drunk guy is going double the speed limit anyway.

That's like saying lets make pocket knives illegal because there was a lot of shootings last year that killed people. The two items have really nothing to do with one another, other than the fact they are both weapons (well actually I consider a pocket knife a tool, but the point stands).

Spoiler!

Last edited by meme405; 06-25-2014 at 10:05 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
As long as they aren't too overzealous with it, it will be something I will be happy about, but If they start hammering lowered cars for aftermarket suspensions and shit, I'm going to be pissed.

I will accept it with open arms, if they check vehicles for adequate tires, brakes, lighting, and overall road worthiness.

Saw a toyota echo with two space saver tires (one on each rear wheel), on the highway this morning. Like are you fucking kidding me? The funny thing is, the guy was still going faster than the bullshit speed limit.

at least in Japan, yes adequate tires and all the safety stuff are what they're looking for.
they don't care if you have coilover as long as it's safe and now blown or anything.

in fact, they will approve most HKS and Blitz exhaust.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #20
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
At the end of the day, increase the speed limits here and you'll still get people driving slow in the left lane, and then people will be weaving around them going 150 instead of 120
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
At the end of the day, increase the speed limits here and you'll still get people driving slow in the left lane, and then people will be weaving around them going 150 instead of 120
That's because we don't get a shit about slow drivers.
In Canada, Speed Kills = Slow Drivers are being extra safe on the road.

Back in the day I got a ticket for going just over 90km/h on 80 zone.
I told cop it's a bullshit for ticketing me, everybody drives at that speed or even faster.

And he told me that he would actually recommend me to do 70km/h just because it was at night and 80km/h is absolute max you can go when it's sunny and everything is ideal and all that.

There's an Autobahn documentary on Youtube and in Germany, driving slow on fast lane is taken very seriously and you'll get a huge penalty.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #22

"...Set to increase speed limits on BC highways..." Haaaaaaaaallelujah!

CTV Vancouver: B.C. drivers dinged for bad habit | CTV News

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 06-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #23

watch this video...they're raising speed limit EXCEPT highway 1

why?

Highway speed limits under review for rural B.C. routes - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 06-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #24

Must be nice to have a government who actually moves forward with the time, instead of constantly catering to the lowest common denominator.

WYDOT: Speed on some Interstate Highway sections going to 80 mph July 1st | County 10

People say bumping the speed limit 10 or 20 isn't going to do anything here in BC. You guys are nuts, change starts slowly, if they put a few routes under review and slowly start to administer an increase in the limits, they will quickly realize the positive impact and change will form naturally.

But instead everyone seems to want to bend over backwards and cater to the village idiot.

Hence why our limits haven't been properly reviewed in 2 decades.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #25
I STILL don't get it

This is great news. I remember driving in the UK, people drove so well over there. They'd literally stay in the slow lane and ONLY get into the right lane (it's reversed) when overtaking. As soon as they'd overtaken - back into the left lane...even if they were going significantly faster.

When you saw everyone driving like this you naturally wanted to follow suit. Even today I try to set the example and stick to the slow lane and only get into the left when overtaken. It's hard though because monkey motherfuckers just drive at whatever speed they want in whatever lane they want. 90% it's an older woman in an SUV too - I just want to go nuts sometimes....why God is it so fucking hard to for people to understand the concept of staying in the right lane unless overtaking. No fucking excuse on the highway either.

Funny part I've noticed driving in Vancouver is quite often the right most lane (what essentially should be the slowest) ends up being the fastest as people avoid it due to parked cars or slower vehicles generally speaking. I'll usually find myself in the right lane on Oak st or even HWY 1 sometimes. I bet RHD guys love this as they sail past everyone with ease.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: