REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Electric Audi R8 (etron) out next year w/ range of 450km

Came across this a few days ago.

Can't wait to see a R8 E-tron in the next year or two.

That will be WUNDERBAR.

I wonder what the specs. and performance numbers will be.

What do you guys think?

Quote:
(Reuters) - Audi has drawn up blueprints for a wider range of high-performance electric cars to help it take on German rivals and U.S. firm Tesla Motors (TSLA.O) if the market picks up, according to sources at the carmaker.

Consumers have largely shunned battery-powered vehicles because of their high price tags and limited driving range as well as the scarcity of charging stations, but many analysts predict sales will rise sharply by the end of the decade.

Tesla has managed to stay ahead of the pack with new technology, which has extended driving range and reduced costs. Its success and the excitement about BMW's (BMWG.DE) new "i" electric series have caught the attention of Audi, which some analysts have said risks looking like a laggard in an industry where innovation is a major draw for customers.

Audi, a unit of Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE), is about to launch its first purely electric car, a battery-powered version of its R8 supercar, which is due to hit European dealerships in 2015. It will offer a driving range of 450 km (280 miles), close to the 502 km of Tesla's top-selling Model S luxury saloon.

Meanwhile, Audi has scaled up its electric car plans, having devised blueprints for several high-performance electric saloons and sport-utility vehicles, two company sources told Reuters, asking not to be identified because the matter is confidential.

VW declined to comment. Audi did not return calls seeking comment.The manufacturer has shown various hybrid and purely electric concept cars since about 2009, but the latest blueprints stand a bigger chance of getting the nod for production after it lately overcame range limits.

"Germany's major carmakers all have their electric car plans ready in the drawer," Hanover-based NordLB analyst Frank Schwope said.

"They want to be prepared when demand accelerates," he said, adding this could take another five to seven years.

The sources at Audi did not specify how many models were being planned or the scale of any production plans.

They said, however, that one of the blueprints is for an electric version of a new Q8 SUV that would pit the brand against Tesla's forthcoming Model X.

Audi has defined a range target of about 400 km for any future electric model it aims to develop, the sources said.

Audi's plans will be helped by steps underway to upgrade a production platform dubbed MLB that already underpins larger models across the VW group, such as the Audi A8 saloon and Porsche Cayenne SUV, and would cut costs for electric cars.

INNOVATIONS

Sales of electric cars are expected to surge to 2.7 million globally by 2018 from 180,000 last year as more models come to market, battery costs fall and the number of charging stations grows, according to business consultancy Frost & Sullivan.

While mid-market battery cars such as the Renault (RENA.PA) Zoe and Nissan Leaf have missed sales targets, there has been more buoyant demand for premium offerings. Germany's three leading luxury carmakers are all advancing on the electric market.

Rival BMW has launched its "i" series of electric models, including a 34,950 euro ($47,400) city car, while Mercedes, whose parent Daimler (DAIGn.DE) owns a 4.3 percent stake in Tesla, started production in April of its B-Class electric compact.

Tesla has devised innovations that have cut the cost and raised the safety of battery packs. Its models also recharge more quickly than those of rivals, thanks to its connectors, software and efficient power management.

But the California-based company is now facing its own challenges related to scaling up further after its success.

It said last week it would share its patents with competitors in hopes of speeding up development of electric cars across the industry.

Tesla executives have also met counterparts from BMW to discuss ways to promote electric cars which analysts say must include steps to create a common infrastructure and share the cost of building recharging stations.

Audi's electric-car moves highlight a change of tack at VW. In 2012 Audi shelved the R8 e-tron at request of its parent as efforts to expand the model's driving range had stalled at only 215 km.

Audi, which has since swapped R&D chiefs, has overcome the range limits by increasing the efficiency of the electric drivetrain and curbing on-board power consumption, development chief Ulrich Hackenberg has said.

"Electric mobility is a key focus of our development strategy," he said in March. "We are ideally prepared for the future with our strategic roadmap and a well-filled development pipeline."
Audi draws up plans for range of electric cars: sources | Reuters
Advertisement
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,385 Times in 3,911 Posts
am not a fan of EVs

don't mind hybrids though
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:29 AM   #3
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Wouldnt mind this if they swapped in the v10 engine instead, then I guess I'd like the e-tron

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

The problem with EVs and Hybrids is the cost of repairs. There are limited repair facilities for them when things go wrong, and batteries are ridiculously expensive until technology improves and costs go down.

The green part is good, but try and find a reasonably priced shop that can fix a Prius. You're almost certainly stuck with the dealer at $130 and up an hour. Good vehicles to get rid of before the warranty is up.
bilgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
I just couldn't imagine an R8 without that glorious noise...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Only if it was hybrid...put a V6T with a bunch of battery packs....

but would still rather have a V10
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
I just couldn't imagine an R8 without that glorious noise...
I'm sure they will pipe in some "fake" exhaust noise, but it is sad alternative to the real deal for sure.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,250 Times in 2,362 Posts
It'll blow the i8 out of the water in regards to the range you get from a charge. And I bet it'll be cheaper than the i8. Good job BMW.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgord View Post
The problem with EVs and Hybrids is the cost of repairs. There are limited repair facilities for them when things go wrong, and batteries are ridiculously expensive until technology improves and costs go down.

The green part is good, but try and find a reasonably priced shop that can fix a Prius. You're almost certainly stuck with the dealer at $130 and up an hour. Good vehicles to get rid of before the warranty is up.
Well then I guess private repair shops have to learn a bit more about hybrids and EVs.

Those private shops can't get away with EVs and hybrids if they wanna be successful.
Don't just talk about Prius because even now, we have so many selections of EVs and hybrids.

Toyota said within less than 2 decades, they will only be selling EVs and hybrids. I'm sure all the other car manufactures will do the same or similar.

If mechanics can't fix hybrids and EVs, that's just like some old fart machanics saying they can only fix old school carbureted vehicles with no TCS, ABS, active suspension, launch control, multi power settings, electronic boost controller, etc.

Good car mechanics are always up-to-date with state of art modern technology, whereas some mechanics are still stuck in 1980s or so.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
It'll blow the i8 out of the water in regards to the range you get from a charge. And I bet it'll be cheaper than the i8. Good job BMW.
The i8 starts at $135,000.

The regular R8 V8 is $134,000 and the R8 V10 is $168,000.

Add the battery packs and other tweaks to the R8 V8 or V10 and the price will be higher for sure.

The range is laughable for i8 when going "all electric", so the R8 E-tron will reign supreme.