REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Detailing Kit: What Do I Need?

After owning a black car last time around, I realized how shitty of a job most car washes are so I thought I'd do it myself...even thought this time I bought white so scratches and swirls aren't as noticible. I'm a complete noob when it comes to detailing but I thought I'd give it a go myself. So I figure wash -> clay -> wax?

Help me put together a kit. Maybe suggest products?

Wash:

Buckets
Grit guards
Lambswool mitt
microfiber cloths
foam gun
foaming car shampoo
glass cleaner

Clay:

...clay
clay lube?

Wax:

Wax
Applicators
Is there a good spray product for touch ups and such?

What am I forgetting?
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Oh and does anyone have any experience with these nanoskin sponges instead of clay?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
for "clay lube" i usually just use wash soap. pretty good overall kit to cover the basics, 2 bucket 2 mitt wash technique definitely helps. id invest in some polish compounds too even if you don't own a polisher, hand polishing scratches out comes in handy at times

then there's more specific stuff - wheel cleaners, wheel brushes, metal polish (for exhaust, wheels), tire shine, window cleaner, leather interior conditioner.. the list really never ends. all depends how much you want to spend
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Wheels brushes also work great for door and trunk jambs.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
ONR. Period.

Also you can check out AmmoNYC for some pretty awesome products. His shit really does work.

Leather conditioner is a good one (assuming interior is leather).

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Depends how much work you want to put into it. Ideally it should be Wash->Clay->Polish->Wax.

I don't think you necessarily need a foam gun. Nice to have but I personally don't think it adds enough value to be a must have item. I'd say a decent polish and a polisher like a PC will give you a better return.

A waffle weave towel for drying is probably a nice to have item. (though you may want to watch a few Youtube videos on how to use it since you don't use it the same way as you would a chamois)

Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer is my go-to quick detailer. Gives my black car a nice deep gloss. I'd highly recommend that as an Instant Detailer for after your washes.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

As you've discovered, there are too many products to choose from these days. Keep it simple. 2-5 gallon pails with Grit Guards are a great start. Any of the soaps at CDN Tire etc are fine although better value can be found online in the form of gallons. For wash mitts, I have found that the Meguiars microfibre wash mitts are fantastic. Low price ( $10 ) and last a long time. The foam gun is god but not totally necessary. The whole idea is to remove the loose grit from the paint BEFORE you start washing. A thorough pre rinse ( with or without the foam gun ) is the single biggest thing you can do to prevent swirls. A quality waffle weave drying towel is a great idea as well. Get two. For claying, the OTC brands like Mothers or Meguiars will work but are quite mild. More aggressive ones are available online. The Speedy Prep towels work really well but tend to mart the paint, even the mild one so unless you plan on polishing, stick with a mild clay - yellow or blue. You v=can use soapy water for flying but could cause the clay to stick to the paint and soapy water will cause the clay to break down quickly. The Optimum Instant Detailer SYEE mentioned is quite nice and good value as its available in concentrate. Get some Costco towels for wiping jambs, wheels and general interior cleaning. A Porter Cable is a great idea if you have the funds. A new one with backing plate, pads and polishes will set you back around $250 but check Craigslist for a good deal on a used one. For general maintenance, Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 is awesome as it cuts well and finishes down really nice. It can be used with a yellow pad for compounding or a green pad for polishing. There are a myriad of sealants and waxes available. You need to decide how often you want to apply and if you want to use a product to top it off occasionally. Sorry for long post. I could talk wax until your ears bleed! LOL
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: