REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #26
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i'll get hated for this, but...

move away from vancouver.

Vancouver is a dead end place for jobs, especially in mining right now. would you have better luck in alberta? if not, then Australia?

you are one of many graduates coming out at a terrible time in vancouver.

as has been said before, online applications go nowhere, either use a recruiter (who are the scum of the earth, by the way, and probably won't look at you if you have no experience), get to meet with ppl somehow, etc. but i'd say your best chance is to open urself up to moving elsewhere.
I absolutely agree, online applications for small companies are good. I've only gotten a couple call backs from a large companies through online applications.

I have always been head hunted though as well. I fucken hate recruiters, BUT there are those select few out there that are really helpful. Let me know if you need to get in touch with one of them.

I also agree on the getting out of Vancouver thing.
Advertisement
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
You're looking for a specialty position man. I can tell you BC & South America are the main places right now for mining, yet it's hard to get in.

As people have mentioned prior, it's all about timing. All companies accept resumes and throw them into a big pile, but you have to know when they are hiring. Look for positions online and make sure you always do follow-ups. Make sure they know you're around, and progressively hunting for a job.

Sitting online and sending out resumes does abit, but realistically it does fuck all. Even phone calls aren't that great but can suffice if you can't make a personal appearance at their office.

I'm a draftsman, when I got out of school in 2010, I was legit fucked and hunted for about 5-6 months for a job. I sent out cold emails to every company that was based in the GVRD and did anything for interior design/engineering/architecture/construction. I also walked around Kitslano where there are a lot of architectural offices and did cold calls. Yet when I got 1 interview, I got 3 in the same week. You just got to keep hunting and pushing and keep your head up.

Just remember that this is your career, and nobody is going to find you a job.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it

Last edited by melloman; 07-03-2014 at 11:26 AM.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
I've been trying to follow up with some applications. Most of the time it's a no reply and I even got one rude reply imo.. lol.

But yeah i've been hearing a lot about how it might help to move out of the city. I will probably do that in a few months when I save up a bit more and still have no luck with the job hunt.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #29
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

I would say start looking now, just so you know whats out there. You don't have to accept any offers but it's good to have that comfort knowing that you have options. You may also be pleasantly surprised.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
Old 07-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #30
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

Just remember that this is your career, and nobody is going to find you a job.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
I've been trying to follow up with some applications. Most of the time it's a no reply and I even got one rude reply imo.. lol.

But yeah i've been hearing a lot about how it might help to move out of the city. I will probably do that in a few months when I save up a bit more and still have no luck with the job hunt.
Have you done anything from what I said? If not, why?
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #32

Yeah, I actually started off with contacting my supervisor from 3 years ago that I did a coop with. I asked him if we could meet up and things went quite well. The company is actually starting up a mine but it won't start production till 2016. He said he will see if they need a junior engineer.

Other than that I have walked into a smaller consulting company to drop off my resume. I was told from a recruiter that walk-ins to smaller companies might be more beneficial compared to large companies. I didn't really get any contacts though...

I've contacted a professor from UBC as well.

To be honest I really really suck and hate networking... but I am trying.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #33
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Have you got a student membership with APEGBC?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #34

I'm a registered EIT with APEGBC and a volunteer at the Richmond and Vancouver branches.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Yeah, I actually started off with contacting my supervisor from 3 years ago that I did a coop with. I asked him if we could meet up and things went quite well. The company is actually starting up a mine but it won't start production till 2016. He said he will see if they need a junior engineer.

Other than that I have walked into a smaller consulting company to drop off my resume. I was told from a recruiter that walk-ins to smaller companies might be more beneficial compared to large companies. I didn't really get any contacts though...

I've contacted a professor from UBC as well.

Awesome job for getting started.

Now, watch this video:

Next, understand that your career progression depends on your ability to network and make people like you. Everyone starts somewhere so you might as learn now.

You can choose to adapt or flounder. I've worked with a lot of engineering companies and the people at the top aren't necessarily there because of their technical abilities.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #36

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Nothing to add except that the industry here in BC is still slow.

I talked to a couple people on here and mentioned this:

A bad summer means an even worse winter, but come spring we will all be laughing. This industry has a bad habit of hot and cold spells.

Mining and industrial more so than general construction.

Crusty Cunt and her goon squad of merry idiots, are simply dragging their heels on a bunch of big projects, look for a big uptick and a great payday for us all when they realize they can't stop the world from spinning.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #37
(ノº _ º)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Look at it from recruiter's point of view.WHY would they help you find a job when you're a fresh grad, you simply won't pay their bills. Even if they DO help you, HOW do you expect them to SELL you when you aren't qualify.

An employer once asked: "I'll give you 3 minutes, tell me about yourself, inspire me enough and I'll hire you." I challenge ANYONE on this thread who can do this effective on the spot during an interview.

You'll soon realize you have NOTHING to show in those 3 minutes. Tinder, mods on your car, online dating, 2048 etc are totally useless.

So yes, ask me again why you're not being considered in your job again...
i went through a recruiter years ago, as it was difficult to even get an interview. why would the recruiter help you get a job? because it's likely how they're paid. they want to sell you BADLY, believe me. i also know how much my company paid for me and no, it's not 3g's for a 30k job.
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #38
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Quote:

Spoken like a true engineer, lol. I know that feel.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet, I'm really busy with deadlines at work, will look at it this weekend.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #39
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I despise HR and recruiters. Might as well talk to the whales and dolphins (metaphor used loosely). Make you wonder if those assholes Facebook and Hangout all day while running their HR queries that automatically send your resume and cover letter to recycle bin.

Networking will help you bypassed those idiots, but it's usually easier said than done because not everyone is good at networking and cold-calling. You need a lot patient, especially for a junior position. Great thing about small companies is you're more likely to be speaking directly to the hiring manager.

Job hunting is depressing for fresh grads. Little experience (other than couple internships) while everyone insist on you pulling 2-5 years experience out of your ass for a junior position that a monkey could do it. Also sometimes people post jobs but won't review applications right away. Don't be surprised if you got hired finally and the whales and dolphins... I meant HR... call and invite you to interview a month later.

DaFonz's guide is pretty good. My only tip is be careful not to waste your time applying to positions that recruiters re-posted from the job boards. Waste of time. Also getting interviews don't mean shits. After you feel you have a great interview, send thank you note and go apply for 5 other jobs.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Awesome job for getting started.

Now, watch this video:

Next, understand that your career progression depends on your ability to network and make people like you. Everyone starts somewhere so you might as learn now.

You can choose to adapt or flounder. I've worked with a lot of engineering companies and the people at the top aren't necessarily there because of their technical abilities.
thanks. I think it will take time and definitely quite a bit of practice for me to get better with this networking stuff. I have been told that networking can get you pretty far, it's just that I never thought I would have to use it to get my first job... How very wrong and naive I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Spoken like a true engineer, lol. I know that feel.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet, I'm really busy with deadlines at work, will look at it this weekend.

No need to apologize. I understand you're busy with your own work. I'm just greatful for help. I can't be forceful on someone thats offering help, especially when it's out of their own time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Job hunting is depressing for fresh grads. Little experience (other than couple internships) while everyone insist on you pulling 2-5 years experience out of your ass for a junior position that a monkey could do it. Also sometimes people post jobs but won't review applications right away.

That's exactly how I feel right now. I won't stop hunting and applying for jobs until I get a confirmation of getting a job. I know what you mean when you say getting interviews wont guarantee a job but I'm having quite the trouble getting an interview period lol

Last edited by ziggyx; 07-13-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #41
I don't get it

+1

Recently graduated from BCIT in Electrical and Computer Engineering Technologist and have had no luck landing interviews re did resume couple times and still no luck
spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by spades View Post
+1

Recently graduated from BCIT in Electrical and Computer Engineering Technologist and have had no luck landing interviews re did resume couple times and still no luck
Do this:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/69623...ml#post8492749
Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #43
RS controls my life!

For those having trouble networking, I recommend this book

http://www.amazon.ca/Never-Eat-Alone.../dp/0385512058
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #44
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

One thing I can tell you.. in the job posting if it says for example

- able to create autocad drawings, in your resume it SHOULD read

- ability to effectively and efficient design engineering plans in autocad 2008 or whatever it is...

the key is whatever technical skills they ask for, it better be in your resume. also as someone says, whatever the title of the job is put it in the subject line w/ challenge/employment ID. i think that's pretty basic if you took any resume writing course.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #45
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
I'm a recent Electrical Engineering grad and I actually just found a job right out of school. I hope I can give you a little encouragement. You are on the right path! Prior to graduation, I attended as many networking events as I could. In 5 months, I attended about 8 events from being a volunteer, attendee, and poster presenter with IEEE, PES and APEGBC. I didn't get my job from ANY of these events but I think it was still a valuable experience to just talk to people and develop more people-skills. I think that is kinda more important than technical skills because I learned quickly on the job that there is a lot more to learn. I felt school doesn't prepare you for how the industry really works. But these people-skills helped me convince my interviewers that I am the right candidate.

APEGBC also has a mentorship program that you can check out. They pair you up with a mentor and you guys can grab coffee and chat. Who knows where that can lead you! I know you mentioned you hate networking, so hopefully this will help - at one of the events I attended, the guest speaker recommended this book:

http://www.amazon.ca/How-Win-Friends...fluence+people

She said it is a renowned book for helping people develop more people-skills. I personally haven't read it yet so I can't comment on its usefulness.

Networking will be helpful in the end, one way or another. Engineering is cyclical so maybe Mining is a little slow right now. I know Electrical is slow right now at some companies. Just as a comparison, I have a friend that graduated Electrical Eng last year and he still hasn't found a job. So what you are going through isn't uncommon. Overall, I think you are on the right path, just keep at it.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #46
God of Unce

Any clue what a Director of Business Development will be asking? Trying to prep for upcoming 2nd interview.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #47
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
150 base + OTE 200k
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
I'm a recent Electrical Engineering grad and I actually just found a job right out of school. I hope I can give you a little encouragement. You are on the right path! Prior to graduation, I attended as many networking events as I could. In 5 months, I attended about 8 events from being a volunteer, attendee, and poster presenter with IEEE, PES and APEGBC. I didn't get my job from ANY of these events but I think it was still a valuable experience to just talk to people and develop more people-skills. I think that is kinda more important than technical skills because I learned quickly on the job that there is a lot more to learn. I felt school doesn't prepare you for how the industry really works. But these people-skills helped me convince my interviewers that I am the right candidate.

APEGBC also has a mentorship program that you can check out. They pair you up with a mentor and you guys can grab coffee and chat. Who knows where that can lead you! I know you mentioned you hate networking, so hopefully this will help - at one of the events I attended, the guest speaker recommended this book:

http://www.amazon.ca/How-Win-Friends...fluence+people

She said it is a renowned book for helping people develop more people-skills. I personally haven't read it yet so I can't comment on its usefulness.

Networking will be helpful in the end, one way or another. Engineering is cyclical so maybe Mining is a little slow right now. I know Electrical is slow right now at some companies. Just as a comparison, I have a friend that graduated Electrical Eng last year and he still hasn't found a job. So what you are going through isn't uncommon. Overall, I think you are on the right path, just keep at it.
I think I saw my sister reading that book. Not sure if she actually read the entire book though but i'll ask. Has anyone else read it and can comment on it ?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:10 AM   #49
How I Mod your mother

I'm going to have to say networking will work wonders for you.
I stopped sending resumes into black holes, stepped out of my comfort zone and went to some networking events.

Needless to say I made lots of contacts, and through those contacts made even more contacts which has allowed me to get my name out there, get put in touch with the right people, and gotten tons of advice and invites to just pick people's brains.

I haven't landed a position yet, as the industry just isn't booming right now and entry-intermediate level positions are scarce. (I have been told this by several high ups in large companies as well as recruiters).
However, hopefully due to getting up off my ass and getting out there, they will think of me when it comes time to hire people.

TL;DR

Get out there. When you talk with people for a bit and express you sincere interest in working in their industry, they WILL go out of their way to help you out. (As long as you aren't a dick)
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #50
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Recent BCIT grad as well, was sending out applications to a lot of places and never got a bite or they would be unanswered a month only to be rejected. As Yaminashi said, the industry (ours) just isn't booming right now as said by others. But it also really depends on the firm you apply to since each firm has its own set of clients. And as long as the clients have work to be done, the firm will as well. I was fortunate to get a job about a week after graduating because of a recommendation from my teacher. And after talking to a bunch of people including new hires and long time employees, it seems that you really need to know someone to get a job now a days. As others have said, networking is what you should be doing now instead of applying aimlessly.

And on that note, any recent grad/anyone with an electrical background that can do CAD/workstations? I MIGHT know of a company (engineer firm in vancouver) desperately looking for some people because they are swamped with work. Will have to check if they are still looking.